OSGeoLive QGIS Quickstart draft

Andrew Jeffrey
Hi,

As mentioned last week on the Season of docs list one of the writing tasks that the QGIS group has identified is updating the OSGeoLive quickstart.

I have finished the first draft of a quickstart for QGIS LTR 3.4 and I would be interested in feedback. At the moment the doc is read only, let me know if you would like to contribute and I will add you as an editor.
The current quickstart for 2.14 can be found here for comparison https://live.osgeo.org/en/quickstart/qgis_quickstart.html

Any and all feedback is welcomed, I plan on going back and re-doing all the screenshots so that they are a consitent size and scale so don't be shy to suggest more, less, or completely new ones.

I will leave the document up until Thursday 4th July 12:00pm UTC. We will then need to start on updating the RST files in the repo and submitting back to the project as I believe they have a deadline on 9th July.

Thanks

Andrew Jeffrey

Re: OSGeoLive QGIS Quickstart draft

Cameron Shorter
Thanks Andrew,
I"m not sure if you have seen the .. Writing Tips in our exemplar OSGeoLive quickstart?

I suggest checking the structure of what you have against these writing tips. I've just noticed that there doesn't seem to be an introduction into the quickstart: "In this quickstart we will cover ..."

You might also want to give observers "review" access. (They will then be able to see your comments). Just ask people to log in before commenting so you can see who said what.

On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 at 21:31, Andrew Jeffrey <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Re: OSGeoLive QGIS Quickstart draft

Andrew Jeffrey
Hi Cameron,

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll check out the guidelines, I basically copied what was in place assuming that it must have been vetted already. I'll tweak it accordingly.

Andrew

On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 7:17 AM Cameron Shorter <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Astrid Emde (OSGeo)
Hello Andrew,

thanks for rewriting the QGIS documentation.

It looks good.

Is it usual to summarize at each chapter what you learned?
in the document it says:
Congratulations. You can now open QGIS and understand the components of
the interface.

You added some chapters at the beginning for absolute beginners. Maybe
we often start and presume that people know more already.
But still Maybe we can skip the welcome screenshot and text about it.

Looks like the following chapters from the current documentation are
missing in your new one. Do you still plan to work on them? I think they
are a bit advanced and very interesting for non beginners:
Connect to a PostGIS spatial database
Using the GRASS Toolbox
Using the Processing Toolbox
Importing OpenStreetMap data

What Next?
it is missing - we recommend some ideas for the next steps

As Cameron referred to our docu-template. That is how we did it till
now. But we can improve the template with the ideas from Seasonof Docs
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/OSGeo/OSGeoLive-doc/master/doc/quickstart/udig_quickstart.rst

Astrid

Am 01.07.2019 13:30 schrieb Andrew Jeffrey:

> Hi,
>
> As mentioned last week on the Season of docs list one of the writing
> tasks that the QGIS group has identified is updating the OSGeoLive
> quickstart.
>
> I have finished the first draft of a quickstart for QGIS LTR 3.4 and I
> would be interested in feedback. At the moment the doc is read only,
> let me know if you would like to contribute and I will add you as an
> editor.
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ba9H6gWjtPBKPVgX54KfIySHQp38i1SfNMD9TLF8s7Q/edit?usp=sharing
> [1]
>
> The current quickstart for 2.14 can be found here for comparison
> https://live.osgeo.org/en/quickstart/qgis_quickstart.html [2]
>
> Any and all feedback is welcomed, I plan on going back and re-doing
> all the screenshots so that they are a consitent size and scale so
> don't be shy to suggest more, less, or completely new ones.
>
> I will leave the document up until Thursday 4th July 12:00pm UTC. We
> will then need to start on updating the RST files in the repo and
> submitting back to the project as I believe they have a deadline on
> 9th July.
>
> Thanks
>
> Andrew Jeffrey
>
> Links:
> ------
> [1]
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ba9H6gWjtPBKPVgX54KfIySHQp38i1SfNMD9TLF8s7Q/edit?usp=sharing
> [2] https://live.osgeo.org/en/quickstart/qgis_quickstart.html

Re: OSGeoLive QGIS Quickstart draft

Andrew Jeffrey
Hi Astrid,

Thanks for taking the time to look at the document.

Would it be accurate to make the assumption that the current QGIS quickstart contains the structure and content that the project wants? If that is the case I can proceed in just updating the screenshots and retaining the current text. For reference the current quickstart is here - https://live.osgeo.org/en/quickstart/qgis_quickstart.html

Regarding the draft, I put together:
  • I agree it is absolute beginner-focused, as I thought that was the audience of OSGeolive. I can remove the basic content to address the feedback now that I know it is assumed that the users are familiar with GIS applications.
  • I removed the PostGIS chapter because the connection details are not configured in the OSGeoLive 13 image. I asked the OSGeoLive mailing list if anyone was working on the issue and it doesn't appear that anyone is. We could rework this chapter to have the user configure the connection settings?
  • I removed the GRASS plugin section because when I worked through that section on the OSGeoLive 13 image the data wouldn't load as instructed. I'll try it again and see how I go, but if someone else could also check that workflow it would be great just to confirm or debunk my claim. Also, something I found odd is that the GRASS section is the most detailed section of the guide and it showcases more of the GRASS features rather than QGIS features.
  • I removed the Processing toolbox and OpenStreetMap section due to the size of the document. These can be replaced.
Thanks again for taking the time. I'll wait for your response before proceeding any further.

Thanks
Andrew

On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 6:26 AM Astrid Emde (OSGeo) <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Andrew,

thanks for rewriting the QGIS documentation.

It looks good.

Is it usual to summarize at each chapter what you learned?
in the document it says:
Congratulations. You can now open QGIS and understand the components of
the interface.

You added some chapters at the beginning for absolute beginners. Maybe
we often start and presume that people know more already.
But still Maybe we can skip the welcome screenshot and text about it.

Looks like the following chapters from the current documentation are
missing in your new one. Do you still plan to work on them? I think they
are a bit advanced and very interesting for non beginners:
Connect to a PostGIS spatial database
Using the GRASS Toolbox
Using the Processing Toolbox
Importing OpenStreetMap data

What Next?
it is missing - we recommend some ideas for the next steps

As Cameron referred to our docu-template. That is how we did it till
now. But we can improve the template with the ideas from Seasonof Docs
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/OSGeo/OSGeoLive-doc/master/doc/quickstart/udig_quickstart.rst

Astrid

Am 01.07.2019 13:30 schrieb Andrew Jeffrey:
> Hi,
>
> As mentioned last week on the Season of docs list one of the writing
> tasks that the QGIS group has identified is updating the OSGeoLive
> quickstart.
>
> I have finished the first draft of a quickstart for QGIS LTR 3.4 and I
> would be interested in feedback. At the moment the doc is read only,
> let me know if you would like to contribute and I will add you as an
> editor.
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ba9H6gWjtPBKPVgX54KfIySHQp38i1SfNMD9TLF8s7Q/edit?usp=sharing
> [1]
>
> The current quickstart for 2.14 can be found here for comparison
> https://live.osgeo.org/en/quickstart/qgis_quickstart.html [2]
>
> Any and all feedback is welcomed, I plan on going back and re-doing
> all the screenshots so that they are a consitent size and scale so
> don't be shy to suggest more, less, or completely new ones.
>
> I will leave the document up until Thursday 4th July 12:00pm UTC. We
> will then need to start on updating the RST files in the repo and
> submitting back to the project as I believe they have a deadline on
> 9th July.
>
> Thanks
>
> Andrew Jeffrey
>
> Links:
> ------
> [1]
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ba9H6gWjtPBKPVgX54KfIySHQp38i1SfNMD9TLF8s7Q/edit?usp=sharing
> [2] https://live.osgeo.org/en/quickstart/qgis_quickstart.html

Re: [SeasonOfDocs] OSGeoLive QGIS Quickstart draft

Ori Gudes
It looks good!

I agree the Connect to a PostGIS spatial database can be included in more advanced material. There are a lot of other tutorials that we can add. However, data manipulation would be one of the first.

Ori

Dr. Ori Gudes
Research Fellow, City Futures Research Centre
UNSW Built Environment
UNSW SYDNEY NSW 2052 AUSTRALIA
T:+ 61 (2) 9385 4931

 1487291223426_image010.png

thanks for rewriting the QGIS documentation.

It looks good.

Is it usual to summarize at each chapter what you learned?
in the document it says:
Congratulations. You can now open QGIS and understand the components of
the interface.

You added some chapters at the beginning for absolute beginners. Maybe
we often start and presume that people know more already.
But still Maybe we can skip the welcome screenshot and text about it.

Looks like the following chapters from the current documentation are
missing in your new one. Do you still plan to work on them? I think they
are a bit advanced and very interesting for non beginners:
Connect to a PostGIS spatial database
Using the GRASS Toolbox
Using the Processing Toolbox
Importing OpenStreetMap data

What Next?
it is missing - we recommend some ideas for the next steps

As Cameron referred to our docu-template. That is how we did it till
now. But we can improve the template with the ideas from Seasonof Docs
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/OSGeo/OSGeoLive-doc/master/doc/quickstart/udig_quickstart.rst

Astrid

Am 01.07.2019 13:30 schrieb Andrew Jeffrey:
> Hi,
>
> As mentioned last week on the Season of docs list one of the writing
> tasks that the QGIS group has identified is updating the OSGeoLive
> quickstart.
>
> I have finished the first draft of a quickstart for QGIS LTR 3.4 and I
> would be interested in feedback. At the moment the doc is read only,
> let me know if you would like to contribute and I will add you as an
> editor.
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ba9H6gWjtPBKPVgX54KfIySHQp38i1SfNMD9TLF8s7Q/edit?usp=sharing
> [1]
>
> The current quickstart for 2.14 can be found here for comparison
> https://live.osgeo.org/en/quickstart/qgis_quickstart.html [2]
>
> Any and all feedback is welcomed, I plan on going back and re-doing
> all the screenshots so that they are a consitent size and scale so
> don't be shy to suggest more, less, or completely new ones.
>
> I will leave the document up until Thursday 4th July 12:00pm UTC. We
> will then need to start on updating the RST files in the repo and
> submitting back to the project as I believe they have a deadline on
> 9th July.
>
> Thanks
>
> Andrew Jeffrey
>
> Links:
> ------
> [1]
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ba9H6gWjtPBKPVgX54KfIySHQp38i1SfNMD9TLF8s7Q/edit?usp=sharing
> [2] https://live.osgeo.org/en/quickstart/qgis_quickstart.html

Re: OSGeoLive QGIS Quickstart draft

Alex Mandel-2
Skipping the GRASS plugin makes sense it's not commonly used anymore
(the plugin). I would keep the Processing toolbox, as most GRASS stuff
can be done that way now. It's also the place where most computational
methods exist.

OSM is an interesting question, as with the other things, this is just
to tie all the things on OSGeoLive together, and highlights a common
interoperability question.

Same goes for Postgis, which I think we'll have a fix for the connection
issue.

Thanks,
Alex

On 7/2/19 16:08, Andrew Jeffrey wrote:

> [...]
>>> would be interested in feedback. At the moment the doc is read only,
>>> let me know if you would like to contribute and I will add you as an
>>> editor.
>>>

>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ba9H6gWjtPBKPVgX54KfIySHQp38i1SfNMD9TLF8s7Q/edit?usp=sharing
>>> [1]
>>>
>>> The current quickstart for 2.14 can be found here for comparison
>>> https://live.osgeo.org/en/quickstart/qgis_quickstart.html [2]
>>>
>>> Any and all feedback is welcomed, I plan on going back and re-doing
>>> all the screenshots so that they are a consitent size and scale so
>>> don't be shy to suggest more, less, or completely new ones.
>>>
>>> I will leave the document up until Thursday 4th July 12:00pm UTC. We
>>> will then need to start on updating the RST files in the repo and
>>> submitting back to the project as I believe they have a deadline on

The original goal we had for Quickstarts was defined as:

The Application Quick Start defines detailed steps, with screen shots, for a new user to run one of the application's core functions. It should be able to be run in 5 to 10 minutes. [1]

I can see that over time we probably have expanded the scope of the QGIS quickstart, as it is such a central component of GIS applications on OSGeoLive. I'm happy to back any of the suggestions so far, but would err on keeping focused and just on the QGIS features.

Worth considering:

* I'm expecting that from our next 14.0 release, we will start including extra tutorial/workshop material for OSGeoLive applications - as a spin off from Google SeasonOfDocs. So we can push more detailed concepts into these tutorials.

* We have been discussing making using the OSGeoLive Quickstart material within QGIS documentation. I think this would be hugely valuable, and as such am keen to absorb feedback from Mateo and Ori and others on ways to facilitate this.

[1] Old wiki: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeoLive_AddProject#Application_Quick_Start

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the feedback Alex, Matteo and Ori.

Alex for the purpose of screen shots. I can create the PostGIS connection and give it the same name that is currently in the docs. This is assuming that when the connection in submitted to the iso it will also remain the same.

On Thu, 4 Jul 2019 at 5:21 am, Alex M <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>> Any and all feedback is welcomed, I plan on going back and re-doing
>>> all the screenshots so that they are a consitent size and scale so
>>> don't be shy to suggest more, less, or completely new ones.
>>>
>>> I will leave the document up until Thursday 4th July 12:00pm UTC. We
>>> will then need to start on updating the RST files in the repo and
>>> submitting back to the project as I believe they have a deadline on
>>> 9th July.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Andrew Jeffrey
>>>
>>> Links:
>>> ------
>>> [1]
>>>
>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ba9H6gWjtPBKPVgX54KfIySHQp38i1SfNMD9TLF8s7Q/edit?usp=sharing
>>> [2] https://live.osgeo.org/en/quickstart/qgis_quickstart.html

Re: [SeasonOfDocs] OSGeoLive QGIS Quickstart draft

Thanks, Cameron,

The quote that you referred to tells me that the quickstart is for new "QGIS" users. In that case, we cannot afford to assume familiarity with any steps.

So for the QGIS quickstart, going forward we have two options:
  1. Replace screenshots in the current quickstart, leaving the exercises as-is.
  2. Keep refining the draft we have been collectively editing to update the quickstart - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ba9H6gWjtPBKPVgX54KfIySHQp38i1SfNMD9TLF8s7Q/edit?usp=sharing
If we go with option 2, then we need to get consensus on what needs to be included. I'm open to other opinions, but I believe for a new user core functions are:
  • Opening the application
  • Opening/saving a project
  • Navigating
  • Adding layers
  • Styling layers
There is probably room for 1 or 2 (at the most) more topics, but we would be pushing the 10-minute mark.

Thanks again everyone for taking the time.

Andrew Jeffrey