OSGeoLive Press release 90:OSGeoLive 13.1 Released (Docs only point release)

OSGeoLive Press release 90:OSGeoLive 13.1 Released (Docs only point release)

Astrid Emde (OSGeo)
See also OSGeoLive
https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeolive/wiki/Press%20Release%2090

OSGeoLive 13.1 Released - Docs only point release

Are you wondering what OSGeo docs would look like if they were written
by senior technical writer? Then check out the latest OSGeoLive
Quickstarts [0]. All English Quickstarts have been reviewed and improved
by Felicity Brand as part of ​Google Season of Docs [1]. We've published
them in a docs only point release of OSGeoLive, version 13.1. (We've
also re-introduced our presentation, thanks to bug fixes from Seth.)

What else happened with OSGeo's Google Season of Docs?
* OSGeo doesn't have a definitive glossary of terms, so we've started
aggregating glossaries, which led to a bunch of OSGeo folks kicking off
a ​GeoLexicon [2] project.
* There was no definitive open source doc templates, so we've created
them in ​TheGoodDocsProject [3].
* Another tech writer was allocated to GeoNework.
* We ​reviewed QGIS's doc challenges [4] - and found a bunch of lessons
which will likely be valuable for other projects too.

For more details, check out ​Felicity's report [5].
Successful results from the Google Season of Docs program

The OSGeo Foundation was lucky enough to be allocated two technical
writers from the

The OSGeoLive team submitted projects for consideration in the 2019
​Google Season of Docs program. [1]

A successful match with technical writer, Felicity Brand, resulted in a
concerted effort to improve the quickstarts for the applications on the
OSGeoLive distribution.

Felicity worked with the OSGeoLive team to review our quickstart
template and implement changes to the documentation to ensure accuracy
and consistency. [4]

Application for Google Season of Docs program 2020 just started
https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs
See timeline and get involved
https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/docs/timeline

About OSGeoLive
-------------------------
OSGeoLive is a ​Lubuntu based distribution of Geospatial Open Source
Software, available via a Live DVD, Virtual Machine and USB. You can use
OSGeoLive to try a wide variety of open source geospatial software
without installing anything.

[0] http://live.osgeo.org/en/overview/overview.html

[1] https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/
https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/docs/participants/project-osgeo-1