[OSGeoLive 13.0] QGIS 3.4 overview and quickstart overhaul

[OSGeoLive 13.0] QGIS 3.4 overview and quickstart overhaul

Nicolas Roelandt
Hi dear QGIS community members,

OSGeoLive has reached alpha2 stage with QGIS 3.4.6 installed. [1]
OSGeoLive 12.0 was with QGIS 2.18 and the current documentation was written for this version.

At OSGeoLive, we think that the new version of QGIS is a good opportunity to rework on the QGIS overview [2] and quickstart [3] and reflects its new functionnalities. So we are looking for volunteers to help us improve the docs and take new screenshots.

You can work directly on the files or interact in the dedicated ticket [4] or within our mailing list [5].

Thanks for your help from the OSGeoLive Community.

Yours sincerely,

Re: [Qgis-community-team] [OSGeoLive 13.0] QGIS 3.4 overview and quickstart overhaul

Angelos Tzotsos
Hi,

The OSGeoLive documentation is online at https://live.osgeo.org/
We update this web site at every release.

Our release schedule is here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kO6zzmLFfprZGgp5x7Sjwi-EVN6NTGDR4KXvFVtNpR0/edit?usp=drive_web&ouid=116979069254767149509

Best,
Angelos

On 5/24/19 12:47 PM, DelazJ wrote:
Hi all,

Nicolas, what's the deadline for the release?
I think you hit two items that are not covered even in our official
documentation so tackling these would benefit to both docs:
- the Overview: we have a list of features at [1] but it's also not fully
updated at the moment [2}
- the Quickstart (something we don't have): but we neither finished
updating our screenshots [3] - some might already be available to pick in
the repo though.

What I want to say, refering to our own undone changes, is that this is an
opportunity to fix two important features for both projects. And afaics it
doesn't require specific advanced skills, so I'd invite people willing to
help in documentation to give it a try. Could be a good starting point. The
visual changelogs might also help to find some main features [4].

About OSGeoLive, am I right that there's no html doc online and if i want
to view the docs I have to either run the dvd/usb/VM or build it myself as
explained in the ReadMe [5]?
Regarding the quickstart (*talking about the concept of quickstart since I
haven't seen the OSGeoLive's one and don't know if it duplicates things we
already have*), I wonder if it's not something we can consider having next
or within QGIS docs. There might be ways to bridge both resources, actually
just display on QGIS Docs website the quickstart from OSGeoLive-Docs.
Sphinx-gurus? And that would help QGIS documenters be more concerned
(talking about me at least) with OSGeoLive docs, bridge the projects and
there might be more advantages.

Regards,
Harrissou

[1] https://docs.qgis.org/3.4/en/docs/user_manual/preamble/features.html
[2] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/issues/2286
[3] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/issues/2441
[4] https://qgis.org/en/site/forusers/visualchangelogs.html
[5] https://github.com/OSGeo/OSGeoLive-doc#building-osgeolive-documentation

Le jeu. 23 mai 2019 à 09:33, Nicolas Roelandt [hidden email] a
écrit :

Hi dear QGIS community members,

OSGeoLive has reached alpha2 stage with QGIS 3.4.6 installed. [1]
OSGeoLive 12.0 was with QGIS 2.18 and the current documentation was
written for this version.

At OSGeoLive, we think that the new version of QGIS is a good opportunity
to rework on the QGIS overview [2] and quickstart [3] and reflects its new
functionnalities. So we are looking for volunteers to help us improve the
docs and take new screenshots.

You can work directly on the files or interact in the dedicated ticket [4]
or within our mailing list [5].

Thanks for your help from the OSGeoLive Community.

Yours sincerely,

Nicolas Roelandt
OSGeoLive PSC
OSGeo-fr board
OSGeo charter member

[1]
http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/OSGeoLive-13-0-status-alpha2-td5405559.html
[2]
https://github.com/OSGeo/OSGeoLive-doc/blob/master/doc/overview/qgis_overview.rst
[3]
https://github.com/OSGeo/OSGeoLive-doc/blob/master/doc/quickstart/qgis_quickstart.rst
[4] https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeolive/ticket/2136#ticket
[5] [hidden email]
<https://twitter.com/RoelandtN42>

Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
Charter Member
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://users.ntua.gr/tzotsos

Re: [Qgis-community-team] [OSGeoLive 13.0] QGIS 3.4 overview and quickstart overhaul

Nicolas Roelandt
Hi all,

Thanks Harrissou for getting back to us.
To add to Angelos, our deadline for English overview and quickstart is July 9th.
We don't have currently an online version of the dev documentation. It is an issue we spotted but that is not fixed yet.
So if you want to build the documentation you have to build it locally. It will be English only, has to get fresh translation from Transifex is more complex and not well documented at the time [1]

For the points you suggested, we doesn't need a complete feature list. Just the major ones, old (spatial analysis, cartography, etc) and new (3D, python3).
For common documentation, I don't know if it is possible or desirable, as we ask to projects to use the data provided in the disk as much as possible. So if you want to change the data to follow QGIS documentation, you will have to pay attention to it (minimal disk size is very important to us).
And before removing the old one, we will have to check if is not used by another project.

Best,

Nicolas

--
Bien cordialement,

Nicolas Roelandt
mail: [hidden email]
mobile: +33 (0)6 42 40 42 55
twitter: @RoelandtN42

Re: [SeasonOfDocs] [Qgis-community-team] [OSGeoLive 13.0] QGIS 3.4 overview and quickstart overhaul

Ori Gudes

Talking about “capturing screenshots of QGIS” I have been do it a lot (lately) and would be interested to know about efficient ways to improve this process.

Thanks Ori

Dr. Ori Gudes
Research Fellow, City Futures Research Centre
Built Environment

UNSW SYDNEY NSW 2052 AUSTRALIA
T: +61 (2) 93855255

E: [hidden email]
W: cityfutures.net.au

List of publications  (updated April 2019)

Re: [SeasonOfDocs] [Qgis-community-team] [OSGeoLive 13.0] QGIS 3.4 overview and quickstart overhaul

Nicolas Roelandt
Hi all,

We didn't hit the beta stage target. But you can find nightly builds here :

Alpha and beta releases are stored here :

For the snapshots, I use greenshot on Windows or the tools provided by the Linux distribution. Then I try optimize them with online tools in order to save some disk space.

Try to focus on what you want to show and not the whole screen if you can.

Thanks for your interest in OSGeoLive.

Cheers,

Nicolas Roelandt
OSGeo-Live PSC member
OSGeo charter member
OSGeo-fr board

Le ven. 21 juin 2019 à 02:42, Ori Gudes <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Talking about “capturing screenshots of QGIS” I have been do it a lot (lately) and would be interested to know about efficient ways to improve this process.

Thanks Ori

Dr. Ori Gudes
Research Fellow, City Futures Research Centre
Built Environment

UNSW SYDNEY NSW 2052 AUSTRALIA
T: +61 (2) 93855255

E: [hidden email]
W: cityfutures.net.au

List of publications  (updated April 2019)

Re: [SeasonOfDocs] [Qgis-community-team] [OSGeoLive 13.0] QGIS 3.4 overview and quickstart overhaul

Jared Morgan
Would it be possible to automate the process?

There is good prior art in this space for Python bots.

Jared Morgan
M: +61413005479

On Fri, 21 Jun 2019 at 10:42, Ori Gudes <[hidden email]> wrote:

Talking about “capturing screenshots of QGIS” I have been do it a lot (lately) and would be interested to know about efficient ways to improve this process.

Thanks Ori

Dr. Ori Gudes
Research Fellow, City Futures Research Centre
Built Environment

UNSW SYDNEY NSW 2052 AUSTRALIA
T: +61 (2) 93855255

E: [hidden email]
W: cityfutures.net.au

List of publications  (updated April 2019)

Re: [SeasonOfDocs] [Qgis-community-team] [OSGeoLive 13.0] QGIS 3.4 overview and quickstart overhaul

Cameron Shorter

Advice that Hamish Bowen provided a few years back, and is now included in OSGeoLive writing tips is:

https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeolive/wiki/How%20to%20document%20a%20project

Header logo:

optipng -o5 image.png
  • Preferably also available as SVG, stored as "logo-<project>.svg"
On 22/6/19 9:47 am, Jared Morgan wrote:
Would it be possible to automate the process?

There is good prior art in this space for Python bots.

Jared Morgan
M: +61413005479

On Fri, 21 Jun 2019 at 10:42, Ori Gudes <[hidden email]> wrote:

Talking about “capturing screenshots of QGIS” I have been do it a lot (lately) and would be interested to know about efficient ways to improve this process.

Thanks Ori

Dr. Ori Gudes
Research Fellow, City Futures Research Centre
Built Environment

UNSW SYDNEY NSW 2052 AUSTRALIA
T: +61 (2) 93855255

E: [hidden email]