OSGeo4W missing in new website

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

OSGeo4W missing in new website

Helmut Kudrnovsky
Hi community,

as we've seen in the Google Code‑in contest and students' feedback, MS windows is still an
important operating system within the user base of the OSGeo stack.

Beside the windows standalone installers of e.g. QGIS or winGRASS (both are based upon OSGeo4W),
the OSGeo4W framework itself is a very important platform to deliver the OSGeo stack to the users
of this operating system.

As an example, when I'm helping winGRASS users on the GRASS user ML, I'm often refering to use OSGeo4W-winGRASS
in order to check if the issue/problem is also there.

Furthermore, OSGeo4W is also an important testing platform as it's possible to use/test the latest greatest dailys of
e.g. QGIS3 or GRASS7.4svn on the windows operating system.

Another example, University of Vienna deploys OSGeo4W to all its public students PCs.

Searching [1] and screening the new website, there seems to be no information about/no link to OSGeo4W [2].

Is this intentional? Just overseen?

OSGeo will loose new and interested users of the OSGeo software stack when no one can find the nice framework for the still
most used operating system.

Kind regards
Helmut

OSGeo charter member

[1] https://www.osgeo.org/search/OSGeo4W
[2] https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/
_______________________________________________
osgeo4w-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/osgeo4w-dev
best regards
Helmut
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo4W missing in new website

Markus Neteler
On Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 5:14 PM, Helmut Kudrnovsky <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jody,
>
> the OSGeo4W framework exits since more than 10 years now; the first entry in the OSGeo4W-ML dates back to November 2007.
>
> AFAIK there are few volunteers nowadays [1] to keep the framework running; mainly Jürgen F. and Martin L.; I maintain a small package to
> easily bridge the OSGeo4W framework and R (www.r-project.org) and help in winGRASS if needed; and some other few volunteers helps from time to time.
>
>> Please ask the OSGeo4W team to contact the incubation committee[https://www.osgeo.org/about/committees/incubation/] (for edit access to create a project page).
>
> So, I may ask the incubation committee for edit access to create a project page.

FWIW, I have created a stub page in Wordpress for OSGeo4W.
But I have no idea how to give editing rights to someone else like the
OSGeo4W team members.

Any ideas?

Markus
_______________________________________________
osgeo4w-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/osgeo4w-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo4W missing in new website

Markus Neteler


Am 21.01.2018 11:50 nachm. schrieb "Jürgen E. Fischer" <[hidden email]>:
Hi Markus,

On Sun, 21. Jan 2018 at 23:16:11 +0100, Markus Neteler wrote:
> > So, I may ask the incubation committee for edit access to create a project
> > page.

> FWIW, I have created a stub page in Wordpress for OSGeo4W.  But I have no
> idea how to give editing rights to someone else like the OSGeo4W team
> members.

> Any ideas?

Apparently not necessary - I have access to

https://www.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/

Although I think it should be a community project, so I added one at

https://www.osgeo.org/projects/osgeo4w/


Ok great!
( Feel free to delete my attempt.)

Markus


_______________________________________________
osgeo4w-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/osgeo4w-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo4W missing in new website

Jürgen E. Fischer
Hi Markus,

On Mon, 22. Jan 2018 at 00:00:03 +0100, Markus Neteler wrote:
> Ok great!
> ( Feel free to delete my attempt.)

Sorry, already did.  Although it's apparently not yet a community project.
I'll leave jumping through the official hoops to Helmut - later on we can
either publish or remove it ;)


Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer           norBIT GmbH             Tel. +49-4931-918175-31
Dipl.-Inf. (FH)             Rheinstraße 13          Fax. +49-4931-918175-50
Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de

_______________________________________________
osgeo4w-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/osgeo4w-dev

signature.asc (844 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo4W missing in new website

Müller, Andreas, Dr. phil.
In reply to this post by Markus Neteler
First of all, i think, Osgeo4w is of high importance for users of OSGeo Software and should be visible inside the Web Site!

Since Osgeo4w has similarities to OSGeo live, it could be a Initiative, too, but i don't see the difference to a project anyway.

What should be the content for this page? And what must be done to publish it? (I can't access https://www.osgeo.org/projects/osgeo4w/)

Andreas
--
Dr. Andreas Müller, FB VI, Kartographie
Am 21. Jan. 2018, um 23:58, "Jürgen E. Fischer" <[hidden email]> schrieb:
Hi Markus,

On Sun, 21. Jan 2018 at 23:16:11 +0100, Markus Neteler wrote:
So, I may ask the incubation committee for edit access to create a project
page.

FWIW, I have created a stub page in Wordpress for OSGeo4W. But I have no
idea how to give editing rights to someone else like the OSGeo4W team
members.

Any ideas?

Apparently not necessary - I have access to

https://www.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/

Although I think it should be a community project, so I added one at

https://www.osgeo.org/projects/osgeo4w/


Jürgen

_______________________________________________
osgeo4w-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/osgeo4w-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo4W missing in new website

Matt Wilkie
> https://www.osgeo.org/projects/osgeo4w/

I get "sorry that page doesn't exist", and I am logged in. I don't see it under "All Projects" or "Community Projects" either.

More generally: It's extremely heartening to see a new Osgeo website on a mainstream platform and looking current and relevant. As for Osgeo4W. It's used by many thousands of people but maintained by less than a handful, with herculean effort. I know this has been stated already in this thread, but I wish to underline that fact!  All hail Jurgen, Markus, and Martin for their sustained effort to keep Osgeo4w ticking these last few years.

>>>insert vaguely formulated thoughts about how someone else (osgeo, vienna, anonymous hero, ...), could provide some community building and support resources to ensure health and continuity of the osgeo4w ecosystem. Recognizing that the download infrastructure and website from Osgeo are huge supports, but they're not enough for vitality. Our 3 heroes can't or won't do this indefinitely. <<<


Matt



_______________________________________________
osgeo4w-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/osgeo4w-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo4W missing in new website

Helmut Kudrnovsky
Matt Wilkie wrote

>> https://www.osgeo.org/projects/osgeo4w/
>
> I get "sorry that page doesn't exist", and I am logged in. I don't see it
> under "All Projects" or "Community Projects" either.
>
> More generally: It's extremely heartening to see a new Osgeo website on a
> mainstream platform and looking current and relevant. As for Osgeo4W. It's
> used by many thousands of people but maintained by less than a handful,
> with herculean effort. I know this has been stated already in this thread,
> but I wish to underline that fact!  *All hail Jurgen, Markus, and Martin
> *for
> their sustained effort to keep Osgeo4w ticking these last few years.
>
>
> *>>>insert vaguely formulated thoughts about how someone else (osgeo,
> vienna, anonymous hero, ...), could provide some community building and
> support resources to ensure health and continuity of the osgeo4w
> ecosystem.
> Recognizing that the download infrastructure and website from Osgeo are
> huge supports, but they're not enough for vitality. Our 3 heroes can't or
> won't do this indefinitely. <<<*
>
> Matt

Matt,

thanks for your feedback. your suggestions will be compiled into the
website.

Kind regards
Helmut




-----
best regards
Helmut
--
Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/osgeo4w-dev-OSGeo-Win32-Installer-List-f3765018.html
_______________________________________________
osgeo4w-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/osgeo4w-dev
best regards
Helmut
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OSGeo4W missing in new website

Helmut Kudrnovsky
In reply to this post by Helmut Kudrnovsky
Dear OSGeo4W community,


Helmut Kudrnovsky wrote

> Hi community,
>
> as we've seen in the Google Code‑in contest and students' feedback, MS
> windows is still an
> important operating system within the user base of the OSGeo stack.
>
> Beside the windows standalone installers of e.g. QGIS or winGRASS (both
> are based upon OSGeo4W),
> the OSGeo4W framework itself is a very important platform to deliver the
> OSGeo stack to the users
> of this operating system.
>
> As an example, when I'm helping winGRASS users on the GRASS user ML, I'm
> often refering to use OSGeo4W-winGRASS
> in order to check if the issue/problem is also there.
>
> Furthermore, OSGeo4W is also an important testing platform as it's
> possible to use/test the latest greatest dailys of
> e.g. QGIS3 or GRASS7.4svn on the windows operating system.
>
> Another example, University of Vienna deploys OSGeo4W to all its public
> students PCs.
>
> Searching [1] and screening the new website, there seems to be no
> information about/no link to OSGeo4W [2].
>
> Is this intentional? Just overseen?
>
> OSGeo will loose new and interested users of the OSGeo software stack when
> no one can find the nice framework for the still
> most used operating system.

please have a look at

https://www.osgeo.org/projects/osgeo4w/

I've updated now the OSGeo4W entry on the main OSGeo website.

if you have ideas/comments how to extend the short description, please drop
text snippets/paragraphs here on the mailing list.

Kind regards
Helmut

OSGeo charter member



-----
best regards
Helmut
--
Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/osgeo4w-dev-OSGeo-Win32-Installer-List-f3765018.html
_______________________________________________
osgeo4w-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/osgeo4w-dev
best regards
Helmut