OSGeo track at Begeo, 19/3

Moritz Lennert
Dear all,

We will have a 1h15 track at Begeo. This represents half a track, the
other half being reserved for the Polivisu project.

As discussed at our New Year's meeting, I would suggest a programme for
our track that highlights specific usage of foss4g in different societal
sectors: business, administration and academia. So, I think we should
have 3 talks, each of about 15 minutes. I would then suggest a fourth
talk about open data. This could possibly be an OSM talk if someone from
the OSM community is available. Another option for the fourth talk would
be a general introduction of OSGeo, including OSGeo-Live style overview
of the different solutions available under the umbrella of the foundation.

Who would be willing to give one of these talks ? Gaël has signalled
that he could present something about the use of foss4g in
administrations. I would present the academic and teaching perspective.
But both of us are more than willing to leave the slot to someone else
if interested.

Please let me know ASAP, as Begeo needs our programme fairly soon.

As a reminder: Begeo will take place on March 19 at Brussels Expo. Our
track will be either just before, or just after the lunch break.

Moritz

Re: OSGeo track at Begeo, 19/3

Moritz Lennert
P.S. Another question: in my memory we decided not to have a booth at
Begeo, but Gaël seems to remember differently. What should we do, booth
or not booth ?

Moritz

On 24/01/19 15:22, Moritz Lennert wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> We will have a 1h15 track at Begeo. This represents half a track, the
> other half being reserved for the Polivisu project.
>
> As discussed at our New Year's meeting, I would suggest a programme for
> our track that highlights specific usage of foss4g in different societal
> sectors: business, administration and academia. So, I think we should
> have 3 talks, each of about 15 minutes. I would then suggest a fourth
> talk about open data. This could possibly be an OSM talk if someone from
> the OSM community is available. Another option for the fourth talk would
> be a general introduction of OSGeo, including OSGeo-Live style overview
> of the different solutions available under the umbrella of the foundation.
>
> Who would be willing to give one of these talks ? Gaël has signalled
> that he could present something about the use of foss4g in
> administrations. I would present the academic and teaching perspective.
> But both of us are more than willing to leave the slot to someone else
> if interested.
>
> Please let me know ASAP, as Begeo needs our programme fairly soon.
>
> As a reminder: Begeo will take place on March 19 at Brussels Expo. Our
> track will be either just before, or just after the lunch break.
>
> Moritz

Re: OSGeo track at Begeo, 19/3

Moritz Lennert
No one ?

It would be good if we had someone from business. And what about OSM,
any volunteers ?

Moritz

On 24/01/19 15:22, Moritz Lennert wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> We will have a 1h15 track at Begeo. This represents half a track, the
> other half being reserved for the Polivisu project.
>
> As discussed at our New Year's meeting, I would suggest a programme for
> our track that highlights specific usage of foss4g in different societal
> sectors: business, administration and academia. So, I think we should
> have 3 talks, each of about 15 minutes. I would then suggest a fourth
> talk about open data. This could possibly be an OSM talk if someone from
> the OSM community is available. Another option for the fourth talk would
> be a general introduction of OSGeo, including OSGeo-Live style overview
> of the different solutions available under the umbrella of the foundation.
>
> Who would be willing to give one of these talks ? Gaël has signalled
> that he could present something about the use of foss4g in
> administrations. I would present the academic and teaching perspective.
> But both of us are more than willing to leave the slot to someone else
> if interested.
>
> Please let me know ASAP, as Begeo needs our programme fairly soon.
>
> As a reminder: Begeo will take place on March 19 at Brussels Expo. Our
> track will be either just before, or just after the lunch break.
>
> Moritz

Re: OSGeo track at Begeo, 19/3

Jo-2
I can do an OSM-talk, but not sure what you expect from it. General introduction to JOSM in fifteen minutes? Showcase the PT_Assistant plugin, I mentored during the past 3 GSoCs? That would come 'naturally'.

Or should it be a lot more general than that? I feel far less capable of giving a general talk about OSM...

Jo (Polyglot)

On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 1:57 PM Moritz Lennert <[hidden email]> wrote:
No one ?

It would be good if we had someone from business. And what about OSM,
any volunteers ?

Moritz

On 24/01/19 15:22, Moritz Lennert wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> We will have a 1h15 track at Begeo. This represents half a track, the
> other half being reserved for the Polivisu project.
>
> As discussed at our New Year's meeting, I would suggest a programme for
> our track that highlights specific usage of foss4g in different societal
> sectors: business, administration and academia. So, I think we should
> have 3 talks, each of about 15 minutes. I would then suggest a fourth
> talk about open data. This could possibly be an OSM talk if someone from
> the OSM community is available. Another option for the fourth talk would
> be a general introduction of OSGeo, including OSGeo-Live style overview
> of the different solutions available under the umbrella of the foundation.
>
> Who would be willing to give one of these talks ? Gaël has signalled
> that he could present something about the use of foss4g in
> administrations. I would present the academic and teaching perspective.
> But both of us are more than willing to leave the slot to someone else
> if interested.
>
> Please let me know ASAP, as Begeo needs our programme fairly soon.
>
> As a reminder: Begeo will take place on March 19 at Brussels Expo. Our
> track will be either just before, or just after the lunch break.
>
> Moritz

Re: OSGeo track at Begeo, 19/3

Oliver May-4
Hi Moritz,

I can do a presentation about the tracing algorithm that we developed for the flemish environmental agency. The project is part of an european project, and will be published as open source project.

kind regards,

Oliver

On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 2:14 PM Jo <[hidden email]> wrote:
I can do an OSM-talk, but not sure what you expect from it. General introduction to JOSM in fifteen minutes? Showcase the PT_Assistant plugin, I mentored during the past 3 GSoCs? That would come 'naturally'.

Or should it be a lot more general than that? I feel far less capable of giving a general talk about OSM...

Jo (Polyglot)

On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 1:57 PM Moritz Lennert <[hidden email]> wrote:
No one ?

It would be good if we had someone from business. And what about OSM,
any volunteers ?

Moritz

On 24/01/19 15:22, Moritz Lennert wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> We will have a 1h15 track at Begeo. This represents half a track, the
> other half being reserved for the Polivisu project.
>
> As discussed at our New Year's meeting, I would suggest a programme for
> our track that highlights specific usage of foss4g in different societal
> sectors: business, administration and academia. So, I think we should
> have 3 talks, each of about 15 minutes. I would then suggest a fourth
> talk about open data. This could possibly be an OSM talk if someone from
> the OSM community is available. Another option for the fourth talk would
> be a general introduction of OSGeo, including OSGeo-Live style overview
> of the different solutions available under the umbrella of the foundation.
>
> Who would be willing to give one of these talks ? Gaël has signalled
> that he could present something about the use of foss4g in
> administrations. I would present the academic and teaching perspective.
> But both of us are more than willing to leave the slot to someone else
> if interested.
>
> Please let me know ASAP, as Begeo needs our programme fairly soon.
>
> As a reminder: Begeo will take place on March 19 at Brussels Expo. Our
> track will be either just before, or just after the lunch break.
>
> Moritz

Oliver May

Support manager -- geospatial architect

I'm unavailable every Thursday

Brugsesteenweg 587

9030 Gent

+32 9 23 66 018

+32 484 97 77 70

www.geosparc.com

Re: OSGeo track at Begeo, 19/3

Moritz Lennert
Hi everyone,

Thanks Jo and Oliver for your suggestions. I'm afraid that the topics
you propose are more adapted for a technical event such as foss4g or
fosdem, but not for BEGEO where we try to present more of a bigger
picture of free software in action.

But I'll keep them in mind in case no one else is available for presenting.

Moritz