OSGeo symbols set

nicolas bozon
Hello all,

I have finally been able to put together and publish a first version of the OSGeo symbols set.

This is a visual representation of the OSGeo projects and activities aimed at supplementing the Foundation branding material.

A preview of the OSGeo symbols set is available here:

The 48 symbols fall into four categories:
- Foundation (OSGeo fundamentals represented by 'Variations on the Compass')
- Initiatives (mostly based on the compass shape too)
- Projects (derived OSGeo project logos)
- Community (derived Community projects logos)

The set is made of two parts, both copyrighted OSGeo:
- The source SVG documents, licensed under CC-BY-SA
- A cross-browser webfont, licensed under OFL.

Important notes:
- Some projects do not have a logotype, only logotext, and cannot be included in the set at this stage (namely PROJ, GEOS, OSSIM and Degree).
- Some projects logos were heavily modified or redrawn, in order to ensure constistency and scalability. I'm listening to project owners feedbacks and will be glad to work towards better solutions if needed.
- All 48 symbols are made available as black SVG. The 16 Foundation and Initiatives icons are also available in color, based on our brand guidelines.
- This work may not be exhaustive and is subject to change.

Hope you will like it !

Reviews, comments and ideas are most welcome in the related PR:

Best regards,

Nicolas Bozon

Re: OSGeo symbols set

Nicolas Roelandt
Thanks Nicolas,

impressive work !

Nicolas Roelandt

Le lun. 19 nov. 2018 à 21:28, nicolas bozon <[hidden email]> a écrit :
[...]

Bien cordialement,

Nicolas Roelandt
mail: [hidden email]
mobile: +33 (0)6 42 40 42 55
twitter: @RoelandtN42

Re: OSGeo symbols set

jody.garnett
I am a bit confused on this one - part of the point of having our mark was to use it everywhere on all the OSGeo things.

The symbol set for "board" and "local chapter" go against this direction of our style guide.

We went through one round of compromise for our style guide, for local chapters providing guidance on the creation of subbrands. I see no reason to encourage the use sub brands within our organization?

I am really enjoying the osgeo project and community project symbols :) A couple notes:
- The osgeo-postgis is based on boundless branding for postgis (as part of it including it in the old osgeo suite product). The dimond shape used is not part of that community's branding (they have an elephant named "Slonik" holding the world cheerfully).
- get-it just added themselves to the website wrong and have not yet asked to be a community project? I am trying to confirm now ...
- Loader is being added (it is approved but still has a draft web page)
- GC2/Vidi was just added yesterday
--
Jody Garnett

On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 at 12:28, nicolas bozon <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Jody,

Thank you for your constructive feedbacks.

I am a bit confused on this one - part of the point of having our mark was to use it everywhere on all the OSGeo things.

Our mark is our beloved compass, and these variations on the compass are meant to represent all the OSGeo things :)
 I get your point here, but i think these symbols could be great to help differenciate the many facets of OSGeo.
Imagine a new comer that could for example identify each of our activity very clearly. I think that symbols might help him to
understand the foundation and find his way, with always the compass shape in mind of course :)

The symbol set for "board" and "local chapter" go against this direction of our style guide.

I quite disagree here, these symbols are on the contrary designed to strengthen our compass-based identity.
I imagine they would always be used along with the official mark (for example on the Board or Local chapter pages, as subtitles :)

We went through one round of compromise for our style guide, for local chapters providing guidance on the creation of subbrands. I see no reason to encourage the use sub brands within our organization?

It would be interesting that the other Marketing Committee members express their opinion on this one.
I would of course remove every symbol that may be considered as non compliant to our guidelines.

I am really enjoying the osgeo project and community project symbols :)

Thanks, my pleasure !

A couple notes:
- The osgeo-postgis is based on boundless branding for postgis (as part of it including it in the old osgeo suite product). The dimond shape used is not part of that community's branding (they have an elephant named "Slonik" holding the world cheerfully).

You are right, and i think Boundless did a great elephant design on the old OpenGeo Suite, so i got inspired :)
Slonik is a lovely but very detailed SVG, so difficult to integrate in such a symbol set. That's why i decided to use a simpler one.
I will try to modify it before the PostGIS folks complain :)
That is also true for the PgRouting elephant btw, beautiful but does not scale well when used within a webfont.

- get-it just added themselves to the website wrong and have not yet asked to be a community project? I am trying to confirm now ...

Whoa, my bad, sorry ! i didn't know one could become a Community Project so easily :)
Yes, please confirm with the Incubation Committee about their application. I see you already removed it from the website so i will remove it from the set.

- Loader is being added (it is approved but still has a draft web page)

Good point, will plan to integrate the Loader logo, but i can't find it by now :(

- GC2/Vidi was just added yesterday

Yes, and the Mapcentia logo is already in the set. I understand both GC2 and Vidi use the same logotype right ?

Thanks again and talk soon

Best,

Nicolas

[...]

Astrid Emde (OSGeo)
Hello Nicolas,

thanks for your great work on the symbols.

Here are my comments on some project logos.

* Change name of osgeo-live to osgeo-osgeolive as we now write OSGeoLive
* PostGIS uses a wrong logo: PostGIS logo looks like this:
https://postgis.net/docs/manual-2.4/images/PostGIS_logo.png
* PyWPS - should contain the text too http://pywps.org/
* mapfish - should contain the text in the logo http://www.mapfish.org/
* pgRouting logo looks like this https://pgrouting.org/

Shall we take the osgeo issue tracker to make comments?
https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/issues

I also agree with Jody that some OSGeo logos do not follow the style
guide. But I still do like them. So we should get into discussion what
we do with the logos.

Astrid