OSGeo symbols set

12

OSGeo symbols set

nicolas bozon
Hello all,

I have finally been able to put together and publish a first version of the OSGeo symbols set.

This is a visual representation of the OSGeo projects and activities aimed at supplementing the Foundation branding material.

A preview of the OSGeo symbols set is available here:

The 48 symbols fall into four categories:
- Foundation (OSGeo fundamentals represented by 'Variations on the Compass')
- Initiatives (mostly based on the compass shape too)
- Projects (derived OSGeo project logos)
- Community (derived Community projects logos)

The set is made of two parts, both copyrighted OSGeo:
- The source SVG documents, licensed under CC-BY-SA
- A cross-browser webfont, licensed under OFL.

Important notes:
- Some projects do not have a logotype, only logotext, and cannot be included in the set at this stage (namely PROJ, GEOS, OSSIM and Degree).
- Some projects logos were heavily modified or redrawn, in order to ensure constistency and scalability. I'm listening to project owners feedbacks and will be glad to work towards better solutions if needed.
- All 48 symbols are made available as black SVG. The 16 Foundation and Initiatives icons are also available in color, based on our brand guidelines.
- This work may not be exhaustive and is subject to change.

Hope you will like it !

Reviews, comments and ideas are most welcome in the related PR:

Best regards,

Nicolas Bozon

Re: OSGeo symbols set

Nicolas Roelandt
Thanks Nicolas,

impressive work !

Nicolas Roelandt

Le lun. 19 nov. 2018 à 21:28, nicolas bozon <[hidden email]> a écrit :
[...]

Bien cordialement,

Nicolas Roelandt
mail: [hidden email]
mobile: +33 (0)6 42 40 42 55
twitter: @RoelandtN42

Re: OSGeo symbols set

jody.garnett
I am a bit confused on this one - part of the point of having our mark was to use it everywhere on all the OSGeo things.

The symbol set for "board" and "local chapter" go against this direction of our style guide.

We went through one round of compromise for our style guide, for local chapters providing guidance on the creation of subbrands. I see no reason to encourage the use sub brands within our organization?

I am really enjoying the osgeo project and community project symbols :) A couple notes:
- The osgeo-postgis is based on boundless branding for postgis (as part of it including it in the old osgeo suite product). The dimond shape used is not part of that community's branding (they have an elephant named "Slonik" holding the world cheerfully).
- get-it just added themselves to the website wrong and have not yet asked to be a community project? I am trying to confirm now ...
- Loader is being added (it is approved but still has a draft web page)
- GC2/Vidi was just added yesterday
--
Jody Garnett

On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 at 12:28, nicolas bozon <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Jody,

Thank you for your constructive feedbacks.

I am a bit confused on this one - part of the point of having our mark was to use it everywhere on all the OSGeo things.

Our mark is our beloved compass, and these variations on the compass are meant to represent all the OSGeo things :)
 I get your point here, but i think these symbols could be great to help differenciate the many facets of OSGeo.
Imagine a new comer that could for example identify each of our activity very clearly. I think that symbols might help him to
understand the foundation and find his way, with always the compass shape in mind of course :)

The symbol set for "board" and "local chapter" go against this direction of our style guide.

I quite disagree here, these symbols are on the contrary designed to strengthen our compass-based identity.
I imagine they would always be used along with the official mark (for example on the Board or Local chapter pages, as subtitles :)

We went through one round of compromise for our style guide, for local chapters providing guidance on the creation of subbrands. I see no reason to encourage the use sub brands within our organization?

It would be interesting that the other Marketing Committee members express their opinion on this one.
I would of course remove every symbol that may be considered as non compliant to our guidelines.

I am really enjoying the osgeo project and community project symbols :)

Thanks, my pleasure !

A couple notes:
- The osgeo-postgis is based on boundless branding for postgis (as part of it including it in the old osgeo suite product). The dimond shape used is not part of that community's branding (they have an elephant named "Slonik" holding the world cheerfully).

You are right, and i think Boundless did a great elephant design on the old OpenGeo Suite, so i got inspired :)
Slonik is a lovely but very detailed SVG, so difficult to integrate in such a symbol set. That's why i decided to use a simpler one.
I will try to modify it before the PostGIS folks complain :)
That is also true for the PgRouting elephant btw, beautiful but does not scale well when used within a webfont.

- get-it just added themselves to the website wrong and have not yet asked to be a community project? I am trying to confirm now ...

Whoa, my bad, sorry ! i didn't know one could become a Community Project so easily :)
Yes, please confirm with the Incubation Committee about their application. I see you already removed it from the website so i will remove it from the set.

- Loader is being added (it is approved but still has a draft web page)

Good point, will plan to integrate the Loader logo, but i can't find it by now :(

- GC2/Vidi was just added yesterday

Yes, and the Mapcentia logo is already in the set. I understand both GC2 and Vidi use the same logotype right ?

Thanks again and talk soon

Best,

Nicolas

[...]

Astrid Emde (OSGeo)
Hello Nicolas,

thanks for your great work on the symbols.

Here are my comments on some project logos.

* Change name of osgeo-live to osgeo-osgeolive as we now write OSGeoLive
* PostGIS uses a wrong logo: PostGIS logo looks like this:
https://postgis.net/docs/manual-2.4/images/PostGIS_logo.png
* PyWPS - should contain the text too http://pywps.org/
* mapfish - should contain the text in the logo http://www.mapfish.org/
* pgRouting logo looks like this https://pgrouting.org/

Shall we take the osgeo issue tracker to make comments?
https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/issues

I also agree with Jody that some OSGeo logos do not follow the style
guide. But I still do like them. So we should get into discussion what
we do with the logos.

Astrid

Am 21.11.2018 00:29 schrieb Jody Garnett:

> [...]
>> help differenciate the many facets of OSGeo.
>> Imagine a new comer that could for example identify each of our
>> activity very clearly. I think that symbols might help him to
>> understand the foundation and find his way, with always the compass
>> shape in mind of course :)
>
> I understand, and indeed I assumed we would go with the sub brand
> approach myself. As such I am not the best person to do the pros/cons
> between the ideas :)
>
> This is a case where I love your work, and want to double check our
> strategy.
>
> The style guide is here:
> https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/tree/master/marketing/branding [1]
>
> The summary has:
>
>> _Logos are as provided for OSGeo and sub-brands (all of which
>> include the unalterned OSGeo mark). Distinct brands (such as
>> GeoForAll and OSGeo Live) maintain their own mark._
>> _While logos have been produced with Miriam Libre Bold and Sintony
>> Regular the resulting shapes have been reduced to outlines for use
>> on systems that do not have the correct fonts available. A template
>> has been provided for the generation of additional sub-brand logos._
>
> aside: We really need this converted to html for our website.
>
>> You are right, and i think Boundless did a great elephant design on
>> the old OpenGeo Suite, so i got inspired :)
>>
>> Slonik is a lovely but very detailed SVG, so difficult to integrate
>> in such a symbol set. That's why i decided to use a simpler one.
>> I will try to modify it before the PostGIS folks complain :)
>
> Chance for collaboration rather than complaints, I think everyone can
> see the design limitation.
>
> Our OSGeo compass outline does not "quite" work, since there is not
> much room for the project identify inside. I think we had sub branding
> as a priority we would of done it a little bit different.
>
>>> - get-it just added themselves to the website wrong and have not
>>> yet asked to be a community project? I am trying to confirm now
>>
>> Whoa, my bad, sorry ! i didn't know one could become a Community
>> Project so easily :)
>
> We like projects to ask, the code and project is reviewed on the
> incubation list, etc..
>
>> Yes, please confirm with the Incubation Committee about their
>> application. I see you already removed it from the website so i will
>> remove it from the set.
>
> Yeah I may of messed up there, trying to figure it out.
>
>>> - Loader is being added (it is approved but still has a draft web
>>> page)
>>
>> Good point, will plan to integrate the Loader logo, but i can't find
>> it by now :(
>
> To be honest I do not think they have a logo.
>
>>> - GC2/Vidi was just added yesterday
>>
>> Yes, and the Mapcentia logo is already in the set. I understand both
>> GC2 and Vidi use the same logotype right ?
>
> Yeah and that is the logo of the company so ... not the best logo for
> the project? Actually if you wanted to stop by the incubation list we

Re: OSGeo symbols set

Luca Delucchi
On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 at 15:03, nicolas bozon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,

Hi Nick,

> I have updated the OSGeo symbols set according to your feedbacks.
>
> Updated Preview:
> https://nbozon.github.io/OSGeo/symbols-set/
>
> Updated material:
> https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/pull/206/commits/d4cf2ebc76e34293333953980a38dd047d3003a7
>
> Basic changelog:
>
> - Removed every symbols considered as non-compliant to our brand guidelines
> - Removed the Get-It project logo which is not a community project at all
> - Corrected PostGIS and PgRouting elephant logos (so a bit less scalable now)
> - Corrected mapfish and pywps logos (added missing text)
> - Renamed live to osgeolive
>
> As nothing that may considered as non compliant to our guidelines remains, and that the first batch of community feedbacks have been taken into account, may i suggest that the OSGeo symbols set could now be pulled into the branding repo ?
>
> Thanks in advance for any comment

Great job, thanks a lot for your effort

--
ciao
Luca

www.lucadelu.org

Motion to approve the new OSGeo symbols set by Nicolas Bozon

Astrid Emde (OSGeo)
Hello,

Nicolas Bozon did a great work on the OSGeo symbols set as we planned
for 2018.

Thanks a lot!

Updated Preview:
https://nbozon.github.io/OSGeo/symbols-set/

Updated material:
https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/pull/206/commits/d4cf2ebc76e34293333953980a38dd047d3003a7

Nicolas received a lot of feedback already.

MOTION: With this email I would like to make the motion to approve the
OSGeo symbols so we can transfer the payment from the marketing budget
to Nicolas.

Please Marketing members have a look and give feedback as soon as
possible.

Astrid
---

Re: Motion to approve the new OSGeo symbols set by Nicolas Bozon

Cameron Shorter
Astrid,

If we are signing off on payment, can you please provide the criteria
provided to Nicolas, so that we can confirm that he has met that criteria.

I personally am really impressed with Nicolas' work. I love the
consistency Nicolas has brought to the symbol set, and the fact that it
is using SVG which can be scaled. I can see it as being something we can
use in an aggregate situation (such as OSGeoLive).

I also see extra things which I'd like to see happen for this task.
(Maybe as a next engagement for Nicolas).

1. I feel the grey logos could be much better if we added the source
colours to them.

2. For the symbol set to be sustainable, it will need to be able to be
updated long term, by more people than Nicolas. We would want new
projects to be able to create their own logos. Hence, we should provide
a HOWTO page which explains the process for creating a new logo that a
project (typically a software developer) could follow. Ideally the
barrier to entry in creating the logo will be low.

On 18/12/18 6:57 am, Astrid Emde (OSGeo) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Nicolas Bozon did a great work on the OSGeo symbols set as we planned
> for 2018.
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Updated Preview:
> https://nbozon.github.io/OSGeo/symbols-set/
>
> Updated material:
> https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/pull/206/commits/d4cf2ebc76e34293333953980a38dd047d3003a7
>

> Nicolas received a lot of feedback already.
>
> MOTION: With this email I would like to make the motion to approve the
> OSGeo symbols so we can transfer the payment from the marketing budget
> to Nicolas.
>
> Please Marketing members have a look and give feedback as soon as
> possible.
>
> Astrid
> ---

Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Re: Motion to approve the new OSGeo symbols set by Nicolas Bozon

Astrid Emde (OSGeo)
Hello Cameron,

thanks for your feedback.

Am 19.12.2018 19:23 schrieb Cameron Shorter:
> Astrid,
>
> If we are signing off on payment, can you please provide the criteria
> provided to Nicolas, so that we can confirm that he has met that
> criteria.

This it what we asked for with the OSGeo Budget 2018
* 5000 extra for website/logo/other design items to keep it current and
not find ourselves again with outdated website in 4 years, which costs
more time and money.
* see https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2018#OSGeo_Committees
* and in the spreadsheet it says: 5000 Enhancements and additional
graphic design

> I personally am really impressed with Nicolas' work. I love the
> consistency Nicolas has brought to the symbol set, and the fact that
> it is using SVG which can be scaled. I can see it as being something
> we can use in an aggregate situation (such as OSGeoLive).
>
> I also see extra things which I'd like to see happen for this task.
> (Maybe as a next engagement for Nicolas).

Yes - maybe we can make a new engagement. But maybe we can look first
how we can use the logos that we have now.

> 1. I feel the grey logos could be much better if we added the source
> colours to them.

Explanation: Only some logos are provided with source colors
https://github.com/nbozon/osgeo/tree/OSGeo-symbols-set/marketing/branding/symbols/svg/black

Background: Nicolas mission was only to provide the ttf-files and extend
mapsk.in with the OSGeo logos/ project logos
* http://mapsk.in/#icons

> 2. For the symbol set to be sustainable, it will need to be able to be
> updated long term, by more people than Nicolas. We would want new
> projects to be able to create their own logos. Hence, we should
> provide a HOWTO page which explains the process for creating a new
> logo that a project (typically a software developer) could follow.
> Ideally the barrier to entry in creating the logo will be low.

Someone would work with Nicolas to transfer the solution to our
osgeo-github presentation.
Nicolas created already two pull requests to transfer the code.
https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/pull/206
https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/pull/208

Maybe the Howto page has to be added. We can ask Nicolas.

Astrid

> On 18/12/18 6:57 am, Astrid Emde (OSGeo) wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Nicolas Bozon did a great work on the OSGeo symbols set as we planned
>> for 2018.
>>
>> Thanks a lot!
>>
>> Updated Preview:
>> https://nbozon.github.io/OSGeo/symbols-set/
>>
>> Updated material:
>> https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/pull/206/commits/d4cf2ebc76e34293333953980a38dd047d3003a7
>> Nicolas received a lot of feedback already.
>>
>> MOTION: With this email I would like to make the motion to approve the
>> OSGeo symbols so we can transfer the payment from the marketing budget
>> to Nicolas.
>>
>> Please Marketing members have a look and give feedback as soon as
>> possible.
>>
>> Astrid
>> ---

Re: Motion to approve the new OSGeo symbols set by Nicolas Bozon

Cameron Shorter
+1 for releasing payment to Nicolas. I feel the value he has contributed
is worthy of the budget.

My suggestions for improvements still stand.

On 20/12/18 5:40 am, Astrid Emde (OSGeo) wrote:

> [...]
> https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/pull/208
>
> Maybe the Howto page has to be added. We can ask Nicolas.
>
> Astrid
>
>> On 18/12/18 6:57 am, Astrid Emde (OSGeo) wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Nicolas Bozon did a great work on the OSGeo symbols set as we
>>> planned for 2018.
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot!
>>>
>>> Updated Preview:
>>> https://nbozon.github.io/OSGeo/symbols-set/
>>>
>>> Updated material:
>>> https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/pull/206/commits/d4cf2ebc76e34293333953980a38dd047d3003a7
>>> Nicolas received a lot of feedback already.
>>>
>>> MOTION: With this email I would like to make the motion to approve
>>> the OSGeo symbols so we can transfer the payment from the marketing
>>> budget to Nicolas.
>>>
>>> Please Marketing members have a look and give feedback as soon as

Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Re: Motion to approve the new OSGeo symbols set by Nicolas Bozon

Astrid Emde (OSGeo)
Hello MArketing-members,

please give also feedback.

+1 from my side.

Astrid

Am 19.12.2018 19:50 schrieb Cameron Shorter:

> +1 for releasing payment to Nicolas. I feel the value he has
> contributed is worthy of the budget.
>
> My suggestions for improvements still stand.
>
> On 20/12/18 5:40 am, Astrid Emde (OSGeo) wrote:
>> Hello Cameron,
>>
>> thanks for your feedback.
>>
>> Am 19.12.2018 19:23 schrieb Cameron Shorter:
>>> Astrid,
>>>
>>> If we are signing off on payment, can you please provide the criteria
>>> provided to Nicolas, so that we can confirm that he has met that
>>> criteria.
>>
>> This it what we asked for with the OSGeo Budget 2018
>> * 5000 extra for website/logo/other design items to keep it current
>> and not find ourselves again with outdated website in 4 years, which
>> costs more time and money.
>> * see https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2018#OSGeo_Committees
>> * and in the spreadsheet it says:         5000    Enhancements and
>> additional graphic design
>>
>>> I personally am really impressed with Nicolas' work. I love the
>>> consistency Nicolas has brought to the symbol set, and the fact that
>>> it is using SVG which can be scaled. I can see it as being something
>>> we can use in an aggregate situation (such as OSGeoLive).
>>>
>>> I also see extra things which I'd like to see happen for this task.
>>> (Maybe as a next engagement for Nicolas).
>>
>> Yes - maybe we can make a new engagement. But maybe we can look first
>> how we can use the logos that we have now.
>>
>>> 1. I feel the grey logos could be much better if we added the source
>>> colours to them.
>>
>> Explanation: Only some logos are provided with source colors
>> https://github.com/nbozon/osgeo/tree/OSGeo-symbols-set/marketing/branding/symbols/svg/black
>> Background: Nicolas mission was only to provide the ttf-files and
>> extend mapsk.in with the OSGeo logos/ project logos
>> * http://mapsk.in/#icons
>>
>>> 2. For the symbol set to be sustainable, it will need to be able to
>>> be
>>> updated long term, by more people than Nicolas. We would want new
>>> projects to be able to create their own logos. Hence, we should
>>> provide a HOWTO page which explains the process for creating a new
>>> logo that a project (typically a software developer) could follow.
>>> Ideally the barrier to entry in creating the logo will be low.
>>
>> Someone would work with Nicolas to transfer the solution to our
>> osgeo-github presentation.
>> Nicolas created already two pull requests to transfer the code.
>> https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/pull/206
>> https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/pull/208
>>
>> Maybe the Howto page has to be added. We can ask Nicolas.
>>
>> Astrid

Re: Motion to approve the new OSGeo symbols set by Nicolas Bozon

adam steer-2
+1 from me. They look great, and from my reading Nicolas has worked to accommodate everyone as much as possible.

On Wed., 26 Dec. 2018, 01:52 Astrid Emde (OSGeo) <[hidden email] wrote:
Hello MArketing-members,

please give also feedback.

+1 from my side.

Astrid

Am 19.12.2018 19:50 schrieb Cameron Shorter:
> +1 for releasing payment to Nicolas. I feel the value he has
> contributed is worthy of the budget.
>
> My suggestions for improvements still stand.
>
> On 20/12/18 5:40 am, Astrid Emde (OSGeo) wrote:
>> Hello Cameron,
>>
>> thanks for your feedback.
>>
>> Am 19.12.2018 19:23 schrieb Cameron Shorter:
>>> Astrid,
>>>
>>> If we are signing off on payment, can you please provide the criteria
>>> provided to Nicolas, so that we can confirm that he has met that
>>> criteria.
>>
>> This it what we asked for with the OSGeo Budget 2018
>> * 5000 extra for website/logo/other design items to keep it current
>> and not find ourselves again with outdated website in 4 years, which
>> costs more time and money.
>> * see https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2018#OSGeo_Committees
>> * and in the spreadsheet it says:         5000    Enhancements and
>> additional graphic design
>>
>>> I personally am really impressed with Nicolas' work. I love the
>>> consistency Nicolas has brought to the symbol set, and the fact that
>>> it is using SVG which can be scaled. I can see it as being something
>>> we can use in an aggregate situation (such as OSGeoLive).
>>>
>>> I also see extra things which I'd like to see happen for this task.
>>> (Maybe as a next engagement for Nicolas).
>>
>> Yes - maybe we can make a new engagement. But maybe we can look first
>> how we can use the logos that we have now.
>>
>>> 1. I feel the grey logos could be much better if we added the source
>>> colours to them.
>>
>> Explanation: Only some logos are provided with source colors
>> https://github.com/nbozon/osgeo/tree/OSGeo-symbols-set/marketing/branding/symbols/svg/black
>> Background: Nicolas mission was only to provide the ttf-files and
>> extend mapsk.in with the OSGeo logos/ project logos
>> * http://mapsk.in/#icons
>>
>>> 2. For the symbol set to be sustainable, it will need to be able to
>>> be
>>> updated long term, by more people than Nicolas. We would want new
>>> projects to be able to create their own logos. Hence, we should
>>> provide a HOWTO page which explains the process for creating a new
>>> logo that a project (typically a software developer) could follow.
>>> Ideally the barrier to entry in creating the logo will be low.
>>
>> Someone would work with Nicolas to transfer the solution to our
>> osgeo-github presentation.
>> Nicolas created already two pull requests to transfer the code.
>> https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/pull/206
>> https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/pull/208
>>
>> Maybe the Howto page has to be added. We can ask Nicolas.
>>
>> Astrid

Re: Motion to approve the new OSGeo symbols set by Nicolas Bozon

jody.garnett
+1 thank you for the work

Astrid if we have enough votes we should be able to ask the treasure to act ( enough - for the incubation committee we ask for at least half of the committee to respond)

On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 11:57 AM Astrid Emde (OSGeo) <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Gathering up the results of this thread:

Motion:

Approve the  OSGeo symbols so we can transfer the payment from the marketing budget  to Nicolas.

Context:
Marketing committee response:
  • Peter Batty
  • Nicolas Bozon
  • Astrid Emde +1 initial motion
  • Jody Garnett +1
  • Harrison Grundy
  • Jeff Johnson
  • Malena Libman
  • Alex Mandel
  • Peter Mooney +1
  • Cameron Shorter +1 second
  • Adam Steer +1
  • Guido Stein
  • Marc Vloemans
I would like seek a 50% response rate by Friday (so we can close this out by end of year).
--
Jody Garnett

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 at 11:57, Astrid Emde (OSGeo) <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

+0

Thank you all

Best,

Nick

Le jeu. 27 déc. 2018 à 20:21, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> a écrit :
[...]

thanks for the additional feedback from

* Peter Batty
* Nicolas Bozon +0
* Astrid Emde +1 initial motion
* Jody Garnett +1
* Harrison Grundy
* Jeff Johnson +1
* Malena Libman +1
* Alex Mandel
* Peter Mooney +1
* Cameron Shorter +1 second
* Adam Steer +1
* Guido Stein +1
* Marc Vloemans

So we have now more than 50% feedback from the committee members
(https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Marketing_Committee#Committee_Members)
+1: 8
+0: 1 (from Nicolas)
13 members in total

I will ask Michael Smith the treasurer to transfer the money to Nicolas.
Thanks again Nicolas for the great work.

Astrid

12