OSGeo projects logo symbol set needed

Jeroen Ticheler - GeoCat
Dear Marketing committee,

We have a need for a (free/open) set of scalable symbols (TTF) that represent different OSGeo projects / software packages. These symbols should have a common style so they work well together visually. At the moment such symbols do not exist.

Based on the existing project logos it is quite a challenge to produce a uniform set of graphics / symbols. OpenGeo produced something in that direction in the past with a GeoServer logo, PostGIS logo, OpenLayers and QGIS logo they could use in their product suite. In our case we are not looking for graphics like those of OpenGeo, but for scalable TTF symbols as exist for e.g. Whatsapp, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter that are found on many websites.

Is this something that OSGeo could take up and fund so it becomes a resource the whole OSGeo community can benefit from?

It may require support/ buy in from the projects that become part of such symbol set. Not sure what other things are required?

Looking forward to hear from you, cheers,
Jeroen

Jeroen Ticheler
GeoCat bv
Veenderweg 13
6721 WD Bennekom
The Netherlands
Tel: +31 (0)6 81286572
http://geocat.net

Re: OSGeo projects logo symbol set needed

Astrid Emde (OSGeo)
Hello,

sorry. my last mail was too fast.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Do you know the project Mapskin from Nicolas Bozon? Mapskin is a TTF
Collection and already contains some of our project logo. See next link
and scroll to the bootom.

http://mapsk.in/

Maybe we can ask Nicolas to integrate all logos and ask about the costs.

Astrid

Am 2017-11-21 21:32, schrieb Jeroen Ticheler:

> Dear Marketing committee,
>
> We have a need for a (free/open) set of scalable symbols (TTF) that
> represent different OSGeo projects / software packages. These symbols
> should have a common style so they work well together visually. At the
> moment such symbols do not exist.
>
> Based on the existing project logos it is quite a challenge to produce
> a uniform set of graphics / symbols. OpenGeo produced something in
> that direction in the past with a GeoServer logo, PostGIS logo,
> OpenLayers and QGIS logo they could use in their product suite. In our
> case we are not looking for graphics like those of OpenGeo, but for
> scalable TTF symbols as exist for e.g. Whatsapp, Facebook, Instagram,
> Twitter that are found on many websites.
>
> _Is this something that OSGeo could take up and fund so it becomes a
> resource the whole OSGeo community can benefit from? _
>
> It may require support/ buy in from the projects that become part of
> such symbol set. Not sure what other things are required?
>
> Looking forward to hear from you, cheers,
> Jeroen

> Jeroen TichelerGeoCat bv
> Veenderweg 13
> 6721 WD Bennekom
> The Netherlands
> Tel: +31 (0)6 81286572
> http://geocat.net
>  [1]
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] http://www.oxfamnovib.nl/en-home.html?language=engels

Astrid Emde
Charter Member
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Astrid_Emde

Re: OSGeo projects logo symbol set needed

nicolas bozon
Hi Joeren,

Thanks for bringing this topic here.
I agree OSGeo needs such an iconic font and initiatives or projects logos should be available as scalable glyphs, so everybody could use them simply on any media.

BTW, this same idea was mentioned in the new branding EOI document but neither marketing committee or selected vendor really followed up, so we couldn't make it yet. But our new branding still needs it. We recently talked about this with Astrid too, so it is good timing to discuss it and make it happen IMHO.

As Astrid said, i have initiated a small project sometimes ago following quite the same goal.
It is called mapsk.in, is licensed uner Open Font License (OFL) and intend to be the 'geospatial web font' for everyone (please see http://mapsk.in/manifesto/ for more details).

Some of the OSGeo software projects, committees and initiatives logos are available in the 'Software' and 'Community' sections at  http://mapsk.in/#icons

I believe part of this work could be updated and used to create an OSGeo symbol set or scalable web font. Such set should be licensed under OFL and copyrigthed OSGeo.

I am in the process of releasing a new version of mapsk.in soon, including new symbols, updated software symbols and updated OSGeo Foundation logos.

It would be interesting to create a derived symbol set for OSGeo out of this coming new mapsk.in version. I would be even better if such work could be funded by OSGeo through a maspk.in sponsorship for example (http://mapsk.in/get-involved/) -

I agree with Astrid, we could first list all the needed symbols to evaluate time and costs.

Talk soon,

Best,

Nick

[...]

Tel: <a href="tel:%2B31%20%280%296%2081286572" value="+31681286572" target="_blank">+31 (0)6 81286572
http://geocat.net
 [1]

Links:
------
[1] http://www.oxfamnovib.nl/en-home.html?language=engels

Astrid Emde
Charter Member
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Astrid_Emde

Re: OSGeo projects logo symbol set needed

Jeroen Ticheler - GeoCat
Thanks Nicolas and Astrid,
This is absolutely great! And great work (I indeed didn’t know of). For our purpose we can already move forward when we add GeoNetwork to the set, the others we need are already listed. Adding other missing projects and updating the OSGeo logo would make that complete indeed.
I’ve added my colleague involved (Anton) in copy to take this up from our side.
Cheers,
Jeroen
_________________________
Jeroen Ticheler
GeoCat bv
Veenderweg 13
6721 WD Bennekom
Tel: +31 (0)6 81286572

Op 22 nov. 2017 om 07:26 heeft nicolas bozon <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:

[...]

Joeren,
Thanks for your positive feeback.
An issue was opened last year for the missing geonetwork icon, please see:
And it was already contributed by ErinBaker, but not yet included into mapsk.in
It will be included in the coming next release.

Best,

Nick

Thanks Nicolas and Astrid,
This is absolutely great! And great work (I indeed didn’t know of). For our purpose we can already move forward when we add GeoNetwork to the set, the others we need are already listed. Adding other missing projects and updating the OSGeo logo would make that complete indeed.
I’ve added my colleague involved (Anton) in copy to take this up from our side.
Cheers,
Jeroen
_________________________
Jeroen Ticheler
GeoCat bv
Tel: <a href="tel:+31%206%2081286572" value="+31681286572" target="_blank">+31 (0)6 81286572

[...]

Marc Vloemans-3
Hi Nicolas et al,

Thanks for following up so fast.

@Nicolas; can we say that you are the ‘keeper’/responsible person for this initiative?
A little financial support by Marketing Committee for this may be available for cash out costs regarding mapskin. What would be cost items And how much. So I can put into budget 2018.

Kind regards,
Marc Vloemans

Op 22 nov. 2017 om 09:24 heeft nicolas bozon <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:

[...]

Jeffrey Johnson
This is great! Would very much like to see this set include all the
projects. We should also add the new logo and the chapter logos etc.

I would be +1 on spending marketing budget to update this set to be
kept current with branding and the entire set of projects.

On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 1:26 AM, Marc Vloemans <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> evaluate time and costs.
>>

>> Talk soon,
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Nick

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> sorry. my last mail was too fast.
>>>
>>> Sounds like a good idea to me.
>>>
>>> Do you know the project Mapskin from Nicolas Bozon? Mapskin is a TTF
>>> Collection and already contains some of our project logo. See next link and
>>> scroll to the bootom.
>>>
>>> http://mapsk.in/
>>>
>>> Maybe we can ask Nicolas to integrate all logos and ask about the costs.
>>>
>>> Astrid

>>> --
>>> Astrid Emde
>>> Charter Member
>>> Open Source Geospatial Foundation
>>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Astrid_Emde

Re: OSGeo projects logo symbol set needed

there are some questions left from my point of view.

1. how many icon have to be added
-------------------------------------
OSGeo general - diverse OSGeo logos: +-5 -> 5
FOSS4G already exist
Geoforall already exist
OSGeo Local Chapters 24 (not every Chapter has a logo) -> +-20
OSGeo projects 34 (counted from osgeo.org) - 24 already exist on
http://mapsk.in/ -> 10
-------------------
Total about 35 icons have to be created

2. What is needed?
----------------------
* See get involved at http://mapsk.in/get-involved/
* Someone has to search for the logos or ask the projects / chapters to
open a ticket
* Someone has to create the icon

3. What else?

Nicolas - how much bugdet do you think is needed?

Shall we make a motions:

Motion 1: Motion to use Mapskin as collection for our OSGeo logos.
Motion 2: Motion to ask for budget for 2018 to integrate missing icons
to the collection. (when budget is clear)

Astrid

Am 2017-11-22 16:22, schrieb Jeffrey Johnson:

> This is great! Would very much like to see this set include all the
> projects. We should also add the new logo and the chapter logos etc.
>
> I would be +1 on spending marketing budget to update this set to be
> kept current with branding and the entire set of projects.
>

> On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 1:26 AM, Marc Vloemans
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Nicolas et al,
>>
>> Thanks for following up so fast.
>>
>> @Nicolas; can we say that you are the ‘keeper’/responsible person for
>> this
>> initiative?
>> A little financial support by Marketing Committee for this may be
>> available
>> for cash out costs regarding mapskin. What would be cost items And how
>> much.
>> So I can put into budget 2018.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Marc Vloemans
>>

>> Op 22 nov. 2017 om 09:24 heeft nicolas bozon <[hidden email]>
>> het
>> volgende geschreven:
>>
>> Joeren,
>> Thanks for your positive feeback.
>> An issue was opened last year for the missing geonetwork icon, please
>> see:
>> https://github.com/mapskin/mapskin/issues/1
>> And it was already contributed by ErinBaker, but not yet included into
>> mapsk.in
>> It will be included in the coming next release.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Nick

>> <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> Thanks Nicolas and Astrid,
>>> This is absolutely great! And great work (I indeed didn’t know of).
>>> For
>>> our purpose we can already move forward when we add GeoNetwork to the
>>> set,
>>> the others we need are already listed. Adding other missing projects
>>> and
>>> updating the OSGeo logo would make that complete indeed.
>>> I’ve added my colleague involved (Anton) in copy to take this up from
>>> our
>>> side.
>>> Cheers,
>>> Jeroen
>>> _________________________
>>> Jeroen Ticheler
>>> GeoCat bv
>>> Veenderweg 13
>>> 6721 WD Bennekom
>>> Tel: +31 (0)6 81286572
>>> http://geocat.net
>>>
>>> Op 22 nov. 2017 om 07:26 heeft nicolas bozon
>>> <[hidden email]> het
>>> volgende geschreven:
>>>
>>> Hi Joeren,
>>>
>>> Thanks for bringing this topic here.
>>> I agree OSGeo needs such an iconic font and initiatives or projects
>>> logos
>>> should be available as scalable glyphs, so everybody could use them
>>> simply
>>> on any media.
>>>
>>> BTW, this same idea was mentioned in the new branding EOI document
>>> but
>>> neither marketing committee or selected vendor really followed up, so
>>> we
>>> couldn't make it yet. But our new branding still needs it. We
>>> recently
>>> talked about this with Astrid too, so it is good timing to discuss it
>>> and
>>> make it happen IMHO.
>>>
>>> As Astrid said, i have initiated a small project sometimes ago
>>> following
>>> quite the same goal.
>>> It is called mapsk.in, is licensed uner Open Font License (OFL) and
>>> intend
>>> to be the 'geospatial web font' for everyone (please see
>>> http://mapsk.in/manifesto/ for more details).
>>>
>>> Some of the OSGeo software projects, committees and initiatives logos
>>> are
>>> available in the 'Software' and 'Community' sections at
>>> http://mapsk.in/#icons
>>>
>>> I believe part of this work could be updated and used to create an
>>> OSGeo
>>> symbol set or scalable web font. Such set should be licensed under
>>> OFL and
>>> copyrigthed OSGeo.
>>>
>>> I am in the process of releasing a new version of mapsk.in soon,
>>> including
>>> new symbols, updated software symbols and updated OSGeo Foundation
>>> logos.
>>>
>>> It would be interesting to create a derived symbol set for OSGeo out
>>> of
>>> this coming new mapsk.in version. I would be even better if such work
>>> could
>>> be funded by OSGeo through a maspk.in sponsorship for example
>>> (http://mapsk.in/get-involved/) -
>>>
>>> I agree with Astrid, we could first list all the needed symbols to
>>> evaluate time and costs.
>>>

>>> Talk soon,
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Nick

Astrid Emde
Charter Member
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Astrid_Emde

Re: OSGeo projects logo symbol set needed

nicolas bozon
Hi all,

@Marc, yes i would be glad to create and maintain such symbol set for OSGeo, based on existing symbols in mapskin and new OSGeo branding.
I agree it should include every OSGeo projects, initiatives, chapters etc..

@Astrid, i quite agree with the 35 icons and action items you have listed:
- Make an inventory of missing material, reach every officers from missing projects logos and open tickets accordingly.
- Draw simplified shapes as individual SVG in Inkscape
- Generate the webfont in various formats and write the correspondng CSS rules
- Create a page presenting the symbol set and webfont, with simple howto
- Bring the result to github with appropriate open license, in the OSGeo marketing repo

Such work could be done using a budget of 1500€ (corresponding to a silver level mapskin sponsorship btw).

[...]

All,

I understand what Nicolas suggests, we still have to find a story for the fact that a Marketing Committee member would earn money for labour....
I don't want any back lash from this.

Budget adjusted, see:

Cheers, Marc

On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 8:27 AM, nicolas bozon <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Anton,
Thanks for your feedback !
The new mapsk.in should be available in a couple of weeks now, let's say very early next year :)
Happy Holidays
Best,

Nick

Hi Nicholas,

Thanks for creating the Mapskin font, it looks really great! In response to Jeroen you mentioned you are in the process of releasing a new version of mapsk.in. Do you have an estimate for the release date?
Thanks!

Kind regards,
Anton Bakker

software developer@geocat
tel. <a href="tel:+31%20318%20416%20664" value="+31318416664" target="_blank">+31 318 416 664

On 24 Nov 2017, at 13:08, Marc VLOEMANS <[hidden email]> wrote:

All,

I understand what Nicolas suggests, we still have to find a story for the fact that a Marketing Committee member would earn money for labour....
I don't want any back lash from this.

Budget adjusted, see:

Cheers, Marc

Kind regards,

Marc Vloemans

Mobile +31<a href="tel:06-5184-4262" value="+81651844262" target="_blank">(0)651 844262
LinkedIn: http://nl.linkedin.com/in/marcvloemans
Twitter: http://twitter.com/marcvloemans

[...]

Great news.

Can we already request for icons as described here

http://mapsk.in/get-involved/

Or shall we wait for the next version?

Astrid

--
Astrid Emde
Charter Member
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Astrid_Emde

Re: OSGeo projects logo symbol set needed

nicolas bozon
Hey Astrid,
Please request new icons anytime !
Thanks for your comment on #2, ms-mapbender now ready for release :)
Also folks, feel free to use [hidden email] for mapskin specific topics, thx

Best,

Nick

<[hidden email]>:

[...]

[5] tel:<a href="tel:06-5184-4262" value="+81651844262" target="_blank">06-5184-4262