OSGeo budget plan request

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

OSGeo budget plan request

delawen
Dear OSGeo Conference Committee,

OSGeo is reaching out to all committees, to help plan our budget for
2019. Teams with an annual plan (to pursue a specific goal) are
welcomed to send a detailed request for approval (e.g.
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GvSIG_Budget_2019)

A good idea is to focus on OSGeo participation, for example attending
the AGM or OSGeo code sprint or extending outreach of the committee.
Also keep in mind OSGeo goals as an organization, (e.g.
interoperability goal: CITE compliance or participation developing new
standards)

We would like to ask you to help us with budget proposals to assist
your committee. This will help us set aside a realistic amount of
funding.

Please add your project info to the budget draft at:

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2019

ideally by the end of January and ahead of our January board meeting.

When making a budget request please keep in mind the vision and goals
of our foundation, along with any obligations you wish to meet.

Thank you and best wishes,

On behalf of OSGeo Board,

María
_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OSGeo budget plan request

Eli Adam
Hi Conference Committee, 

How do people feel about making the same TGP request as last year?

Best regards, Eli

On Sun, Jan 13, 2019 at 10:21 AM María Arias de Reyna <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear OSGeo Conference Committee,

OSGeo is reaching out to all committees, to help plan our budget for
2019. Teams with an annual plan (to pursue a specific goal) are
welcomed to send a detailed request for approval (e.g.
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GvSIG_Budget_2019)

A good idea is to focus on OSGeo participation, for example attending
the AGM or OSGeo code sprint or extending outreach of the committee.
Also keep in mind OSGeo goals as an organization, (e.g.
interoperability goal: CITE compliance or participation developing new
standards)

We would like to ask you to help us with budget proposals to assist
your committee. This will help us set aside a realistic amount of
funding.

Please add your project info to the budget draft at:

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2019

ideally by the end of January and ahead of our January board meeting.

When making a budget request please keep in mind the vision and goals
of our foundation, along with any obligations you wish to meet.

Thank you and best wishes,

On behalf of OSGeo Board,

María
_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev

_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OSGeo budget plan request

stevenfeldman
Given the level of demand from applicants and indications of interest from regional FOSS4G events I would suggest increasing our request to $25k from the board on the basis that LOCs must match fund with hard cash plus free conference passes.

We will need to establish a process for FOSS4Gs to apply for TGP funding but that should not be onerous and we could launch that in February when we know the level of funding that we have from OSGeo
______
Steven

Unusual maps in strange places -  mappery.org
@MapsintheWild

On 15 Jan 2019, at 18:01, Eli Adam <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Conference Committee, 

How do people feel about making the same TGP request as last year?

Best regards, Eli

On Sun, Jan 13, 2019 at 10:21 AM María Arias de Reyna <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear OSGeo Conference Committee,

OSGeo is reaching out to all committees, to help plan our budget for
2019. Teams with an annual plan (to pursue a specific goal) are
welcomed to send a detailed request for approval (e.g.
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GvSIG_Budget_2019)

A good idea is to focus on OSGeo participation, for example attending
the AGM or OSGeo code sprint or extending outreach of the committee.
Also keep in mind OSGeo goals as an organization, (e.g.
interoperability goal: CITE compliance or participation developing new
standards)

We would like to ask you to help us with budget proposals to assist
your committee. This will help us set aside a realistic amount of
funding.

Please add your project info to the budget draft at:

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2019

ideally by the end of January and ahead of our January board meeting.

When making a budget request please keep in mind the vision and goals
of our foundation, along with any obligations you wish to meet.

Thank you and best wishes,

On behalf of OSGeo Board,

María
_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev


_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OSGeo budget plan request

Till Adams-3
In reply to this post by delawen
Dear Maria,

many thanks for reaching out to us. As outlined in Dar Es Salaam
already, we would like to extent the travel grant programme.

There are several ideas, on how to distribute available money.

For the TGP for 2019 we would like to request for 25.000 $, we plan to
dediacte 50-60% of this for the global event and the balance to support
regional events.

Regarding the distribution for regional events, I favour to publish a
date once (or twice) a year and request for events to apply for support
of their TGP - but this is not discussed yet.

I've updated the table in [1].

There are two things to clear:

1. How does our budget fit to the Travel Grant program listed further
down on [1] unter the topic "OSGeo Initiatives 2019" ?

2. Do we have to get approval from the board for every single event, we
want to support (as we did last year when supporting TGP of the Oceanian
chapter conference) ?


So far, Till


[1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2019


Am 13.01.19 um 19:20 schrieb María Arias de Reyna:

> Dear OSGeo Conference Committee,
>
> OSGeo is reaching out to all committees, to help plan our budget for
> 2019. Teams with an annual plan (to pursue a specific goal) are
> welcomed to send a detailed request for approval (e.g.
> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GvSIG_Budget_2019)
>
> A good idea is to focus on OSGeo participation, for example attending
> the AGM or OSGeo code sprint or extending outreach of the committee.
> Also keep in mind OSGeo goals as an organization, (e.g.
> interoperability goal: CITE compliance or participation developing new
> standards)
>
> We would like to ask you to help us with budget proposals to assist
> your committee. This will help us set aside a realistic amount of
> funding.
>
> Please add your project info to the budget draft at:
>
> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2019
>
> ideally by the end of January and ahead of our January board meeting.
>
> When making a budget request please keep in mind the vision and goals
> of our foundation, along with any obligations you wish to meet.
>
> Thank you and best wishes,
>
> On behalf of OSGeo Board,
>
> María
> _______________________________________________
> Conference_dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OSGeo budget plan request

delawen
On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 8:49 AM Till Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Dear Maria,
>
> many thanks for reaching out to us. As outlined in Dar Es Salaam
> already, we would like to extent the travel grant programme.
>
> There are several ideas, on how to distribute available money.
>
> For the TGP for 2019 we would like to request for 25.000 $, we plan to
> dediacte 50-60% of this for the global event and the balance to support
> regional events.

Noted. Thanks!

>
> Regarding the distribution for regional events, I favour to publish a
> date once (or twice) a year and request for events to apply for support
> of their TGP - but this is not discussed yet.
>
> I've updated the table in [1].
>
> There are two things to clear:
>
> 1. How does our budget fit to the Travel Grant program listed further
> down on [1] unter the topic "OSGeo Initiatives 2019" ?

We can list however you feel more comfortable. See next question.

>
> 2. Do we have to get approval from the board for every single event, we
> want to support (as we did last year when supporting TGP of the Oceanian
> chapter conference) ?

I think the TGP wasn't listed in the Conference row just because there
was no clear procedure on the Conference Committee for local TGP so
the Board had to approve every new amount. The local TGP was a
successful experiment last year, but required explicit approval from
the Board. If Conference Committee define clear procedures and we
assign a budget at the beginning of the year, then you can just use
that budget without asking us. The things the Board has to approve
explicitly is the things that are not defined on the initial budget or
that are over the initial budget. That's why we ask now for some
details, so we don't have to ammend later.

And personally I prefer to delegate to committees, the Board is
already overworked with macro management, if we also have to micro
manage, we get easily to bottle necks and we slow down a lot.

>
>
> So far, Till
>
>
> [1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2019
>
>
> Am 13.01.19 um 19:20 schrieb María Arias de Reyna:
> > Dear OSGeo Conference Committee,
> >
> > OSGeo is reaching out to all committees, to help plan our budget for
> > 2019. Teams with an annual plan (to pursue a specific goal) are
> > welcomed to send a detailed request for approval (e.g.
> > https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GvSIG_Budget_2019)
> >
> > A good idea is to focus on OSGeo participation, for example attending
> > the AGM or OSGeo code sprint or extending outreach of the committee.
> > Also keep in mind OSGeo goals as an organization, (e.g.
> > interoperability goal: CITE compliance or participation developing new
> > standards)
> >
> > We would like to ask you to help us with budget proposals to assist
> > your committee. This will help us set aside a realistic amount of
> > funding.
> >
> > Please add your project info to the budget draft at:
> >
> > https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2019
> >
> > ideally by the end of January and ahead of our January board meeting.
> >
> > When making a budget request please keep in mind the vision and goals
> > of our foundation, along with any obligations you wish to meet.
> >
> > Thank you and best wishes,
> >
> > On behalf of OSGeo Board,
> >
> > María
> > _______________________________________________
> > Conference_dev mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OSGeo budget plan request

stevenfeldman
I have added a draft process for LOC applications for TGP support at https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Travel_Grant_Programme_Cookbook

Please feel free to edit and improve

Cheers
______
Steven

Unusual maps in strange places -  mappery.org
@MapsintheWild

On 16 Jan 2019, at 08:11, María Arias de Reyna <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 8:49 AM Till Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear Maria,

many thanks for reaching out to us. As outlined in Dar Es Salaam
already, we would like to extent the travel grant programme.

There are several ideas, on how to distribute available money.

For the TGP for 2019 we would like to request for 25.000 $, we plan to
dediacte 50-60% of this for the global event and the balance to support
regional events.

Noted. Thanks!


Regarding the distribution for regional events, I favour to publish a
date once (or twice) a year and request for events to apply for support
of their TGP - but this is not discussed yet.

I've updated the table in [1].

There are two things to clear:

1. How does our budget fit to the Travel Grant program listed further
down on [1] unter the topic "OSGeo Initiatives 2019" ?

We can list however you feel more comfortable. See next question.


2. Do we have to get approval from the board for every single event, we
want to support (as we did last year when supporting TGP of the Oceanian
chapter conference) ?

I think the TGP wasn't listed in the Conference row just because there
was no clear procedure on the Conference Committee for local TGP so
the Board had to approve every new amount. The local TGP was a
successful experiment last year, but required explicit approval from
the Board. If Conference Committee define clear procedures and we
assign a budget at the beginning of the year, then you can just use
that budget without asking us. The things the Board has to approve
explicitly is the things that are not defined on the initial budget or
that are over the initial budget. That's why we ask now for some
details, so we don't have to ammend later.

And personally I prefer to delegate to committees, the Board is
already overworked with macro management, if we also have to micro
manage, we get easily to bottle necks and we slow down a lot.



So far, Till


[1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2019


Am 13.01.19 um 19:20 schrieb María Arias de Reyna:
Dear OSGeo Conference Committee,

OSGeo is reaching out to all committees, to help plan our budget for
2019. Teams with an annual plan (to pursue a specific goal) are
welcomed to send a detailed request for approval (e.g.
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GvSIG_Budget_2019)

A good idea is to focus on OSGeo participation, for example attending
the AGM or OSGeo code sprint or extending outreach of the committee.
Also keep in mind OSGeo goals as an organization, (e.g.
interoperability goal: CITE compliance or participation developing new
standards)

We would like to ask you to help us with budget proposals to assist
your committee. This will help us set aside a realistic amount of
funding.

Please add your project info to the budget draft at:

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2019

ideally by the end of January and ahead of our January board meeting.

When making a budget request please keep in mind the vision and goals
of our foundation, along with any obligations you wish to meet.

Thank you and best wishes,

On behalf of OSGeo Board,

María
_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev


_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OSGeo budget plan request

delawen
On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 12:12 PM Steven Feldman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have added a draft process for LOC applications for TGP support at https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Travel_Grant_Programme_Cookbook
>
> Please feel free to edit and improve
>

Not sure how to phrase this, but I think it is important to warrantee
not only that the conference ticket will be free but also if/to what
extent the amount provided will cover travel expenses, food expenses,
allocation expenses,... And if there is an already chosen place where
the travel grants are going to stay and eat, that it has a minimum
quality like: some basic security (if room is shared, who will be
sharing the room with you: other conference participants? strangers?),
having a place to drop your stuff behind a key (like a locker), hot
water in the bathroom (yes, this is a thing that can happen on hostals
around the world and I just discovered :| I'm so first world... ),...
etc.

I know, don't look at the teeth of the horse if they are giving it to
you for free, but imagine someone is short of money and once arrived
at the event, they discover that they have to book a different place
because, for example, there's no place to drop the laptop while you
get a shower. Or worse. I think we should set up a minimum quality on
the TGP, or, at least, make events explicit the conditions before
travel grants start buying tickets.
_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OSGeo budget plan request

michael terner-2
One other issue/suggestion that has come up for funding consideration has been "cash support" for an LOC funding videoing/livestreaming of the program. While I am comfortable not having videoing, or only limited video, as was the case in Dar es Salaam, if videoing is something that OSGeo wants then cash support of that effort should be available for LOCs. In the end, a successful conference's surplus should return the money that OSGeo invests. But critically, having to carry a $30,000 - $50,000 budget line item is both scary and burdensome for an LOC whose main job is to provide the best possible experience for those who pay to attend (or attend via supported programs like TGP or volunteering). It also requires significant post event effort to edit and post-process the video.

If videoing is to become an "expectation", or something included in the RFP, then I would propose $30,000 of budget to support video of future conferences. These funds could also be directed to a long-term OSGeo partner - such as the team that video'ed Bonn, Kaos Klub (sic) - that would cover the videoing of future conferences.

Sincerely,

MT

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 6:23 AM María Arias de Reyna <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 12:12 PM Steven Feldman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have added a draft process for LOC applications for TGP support at https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Travel_Grant_Programme_Cookbook
>
> Please feel free to edit and improve
>

Not sure how to phrase this, but I think it is important to warrantee
not only that the conference ticket will be free but also if/to what
extent the amount provided will cover travel expenses, food expenses,
allocation expenses,... And if there is an already chosen place where
the travel grants are going to stay and eat, that it has a minimum
quality like: some basic security (if room is shared, who will be
sharing the room with you: other conference participants? strangers?),
having a place to drop your stuff behind a key (like a locker), hot
water in the bathroom (yes, this is a thing that can happen on hostals
around the world and I just discovered :| I'm so first world... ),...
etc.

I know, don't look at the teeth of the horse if they are giving it to
you for free, but imagine someone is short of money and once arrived
at the event, they discover that they have to book a different place
because, for example, there's no place to drop the laptop while you
get a shower. Or worse. I think we should set up a minimum quality on
the TGP, or, at least, make events explicit the conditions before
travel grants start buying tickets.
_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev


--
Michael Terner
(M) 978-631-6602

_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OSGeo budget plan request

stevenfeldman
In reply to this post by delawen
Maria

I have added a line about accommodation. I suggest we leave this fairly open as some events may wish to organise hospitality/couch surfing, others may suggest a hostel.

I think we should recognise that travel grants are unlikely to cover all the costs of people attending a FOSS4G particularly if they are travelling from a different continent. Personally, I think it is important that grant recipients have “skin in the game” and  either partially self fund or raise the money from their employers and local community. It’s up to each LOC to decide whether they want to provide larger levels of funding to a small number of applicants with high travel costs or whether they want to focus on those nearer to the event who need less funding to attend


______
Steven

Unusual maps in strange places -  mappery.org
@MapsintheWild

On 16 Jan 2019, at 11:22, María Arias de Reyna <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 12:12 PM Steven Feldman <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have added a draft process for LOC applications for TGP support at https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Travel_Grant_Programme_Cookbook

Please feel free to edit and improve


Not sure how to phrase this, but I think it is important to warrantee
not only that the conference ticket will be free but also if/to what
extent the amount provided will cover travel expenses, food expenses,
allocation expenses,... And if there is an already chosen place where
the travel grants are going to stay and eat, that it has a minimum
quality like: some basic security (if room is shared, who will be
sharing the room with you: other conference participants? strangers?),
having a place to drop your stuff behind a key (like a locker), hot
water in the bathroom (yes, this is a thing that can happen on hostals
around the world and I just discovered :| I'm so first world... ),...
etc.

I know, don't look at the teeth of the horse if they are giving it to
you for free, but imagine someone is short of money and once arrived
at the event, they discover that they have to book a different place
because, for example, there's no place to drop the laptop while you
get a shower. Or worse. I think we should set up a minimum quality on
the TGP, or, at least, make events explicit the conditions before
travel grants start buying tickets.


_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OSGeo budget plan request

delawen
On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 4:22 PM Steven Feldman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Maria
>
> I have added a line about accommodation. I suggest we leave this fairly open as some events may wish to organise hospitality/couch surfing, others may suggest a hostel.
>
> I think we should recognise that travel grants are unlikely to cover all the costs of people attending a FOSS4G particularly if they are travelling from a different continent. Personally, I think it is important that grant recipients have “skin in the game” and  either partially self fund or raise the money from their employers and local community. It’s up to each LOC to decide whether they want to provide larger levels of funding to a small number of applicants with high travel costs or whether they want to focus on those nearer to the event who need less funding to attend
>
>

I agree with you, as long as the terms are clear before hand, it is fine.

My guess is that regional and national TGP will focus on locals and
short travels.
_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OSGeo budget plan request

John Bryant
Hi, just a quick note here from Oceania. We ran a TGP for FOSS4G SotM Oceania, and ended up awarding grants to 7 attendees, partly funded by OSGeo and partly by our Good Mojo program [1]. We're certainly keen to run a similar program for 2019, and hopefully will expand it to have greater impact. It was heavily subscribed, despite short notice periods and fairly minimal advertising. We received excellent feedback from our attendees on this program.

>My guess is that regional and national TGP will focus on locals and short travels.
For Oceania, many of our TGP attendees traveled to Melbourne from the Pacific Islands (Fiji, Samoa, Solomon Islands), which is actually a fairly large journey, with expensive airfares and onerous visa processes (particularly for Australia, hopefully less so for New Zealand). I suppose every region will have some circumstances that are unique, and some that are common to all regions.

I've contacted Till and Steven directly to offer my help with drafting processes for supporting regional TGPs.

Cheers
John



_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OSGeo budget plan request

adam steer-2
Hi all

Adding to John's comments - being involved in gathering support  from OSGeo for the Oceania TGP (thanks again); and seeing how things worked in Dar vs our region. We had quite an internal debate about how to manage accommodation in particular, also when to pay grants - given the expense involved in travel around our region.

I agree that decisions about when to deliver funding, and how to do accommodation, should be reviewed on a case-by-case / conference by conference basis, there will not be a one-size-for-all approach that works.

I'll have time to review Steven's document next week, and happy to stay involved.

Cheers

Adam

On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 at 14:26, John Bryant <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, just a quick note here from Oceania. We ran a TGP for FOSS4G SotM Oceania, and ended up awarding grants to 7 attendees, partly funded by OSGeo and partly by our Good Mojo program [1]. We're certainly keen to run a similar program for 2019, and hopefully will expand it to have greater impact. It was heavily subscribed, despite short notice periods and fairly minimal advertising. We received excellent feedback from our attendees on this program.

>My guess is that regional and national TGP will focus on locals and short travels.
For Oceania, many of our TGP attendees traveled to Melbourne from the Pacific Islands (Fiji, Samoa, Solomon Islands), which is actually a fairly large journey, with expensive airfares and onerous visa processes (particularly for Australia, hopefully less so for New Zealand). I suppose every region will have some circumstances that are unique, and some that are common to all regions.

I've contacted Till and Steven directly to offer my help with drafting processes for supporting regional TGPs.

Cheers
John


_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev


--

_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev