OSGeo and Open Data?

12

OSGeo and Open Data?

Sanghee Shin
Dear all,

Can anybody share presentation file about the OSGeo and open data, if any? I’m invited to give a keynote talk at ‘Open Data in Action Conference’[1] in Korea and I don’t want to make the file from the scratch.

FYI, OSGeo Korea[2], R Korea[3], Open Data Institute(ODI) Seoul[4], Open Knowledge(OK) Korea[5] will co-host the event on 15th Nov near Seoul. The main theme of the conference is ‘Experiment on Open Data based Society.’ Anybody who has similar interest can join this conference.

Kind regards,
신상희

[1]http://event.r-kor.org/
[2]http://www.osgeo.kr/
[3]http://r-kor.org/
[4]http://seoul.theodi.org/
[5]http://okfn.kr/
---
Shin, Sanghee
Gaia3D, Inc. - The GeoSpatial Company
http://www.gaia3d.com

Re: OSGeo and Open Data?

Jachym Cepicky
Hi Sanghee,
I was told some months ago (and I believe, it was Jeff), that we (OSGeo.org) are solely software foundation - therefore we do not care about open data

maybe things have changed?

po 17. 10. 2016 v 5:08 odesílatel Sanghee Shin <[hidden email]> napsal:
[...]

Suchith Anand
Hi Jachym,

Apologies if i do not correctly understand the context/background of the discussion. In my humble opinion, OSGeo is software foundation but very much involved in open standards, open data  etc   hence we have MoU with OGC etc . We should not have silo approach.  Openness is key. Thanks.

Best wishes,

Suchith

po 17. 10. 2016 v 5:08 odesílatel Sanghee Shin <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> napsal:
[...]

message or in any attachment.  Any views or opinions expressed by the
University of Nottingham.

permitted by UK legislation.

Re: OSGeo and Open Data?

Arnulf Christl-3
Hey Jachym,
maybe that was a misunderstanding. Yes, OSGeo focuses on software but we
also have an official geodata committee (sometimes called Public
Geodata, sometimes Open Geodata):
http://www.osgeo.org/content/projects/geodata.html

It is not active currently but there have been some activities like
signing an Open Letter regarding the INSPIRE Directive and signing an
amicus  brief for an open data court case in California (2012):
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Face_to_Face_Meeting_Seattle_2012

OSGeo supports and partners with OpenStreetMap in several events, some
local chapters support both organizations (like FOSSGIS e.V. in Germany,
currently discussing whether to also become an official OSMF local
chapter).

So yes, some things have been going on but less actively and maybe more
on a reactive basis. Kind of: If somebody approaches OSGeo with a good
cause we are happy to support it.

And Open Data is always a topic on FOSS4G conferences.

Hth,
Arnulf

On 17.10.2016 11:37, Jachym Cepicky wrote:

> Hi Sanghee,
> I was told some months ago (and I believe, it was Jeff), that we
> (OSGeo.org) are solely software foundation - therefore we do not care
> about open data
>
> maybe things have changed?

> po 17. 10. 2016 v 5:08 odesílatel Sanghee Shin <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> napsal:
>
>     Dear all,
>
>     Can anybody share presentation file about the OSGeo and open data,
>     if any? I’m invited to give a keynote talk at ‘Open Data in Action
>     Conference’[1] in Korea and I don’t want to make the file from the
>     scratch.
>
>     FYI, OSGeo Korea[2], R Korea[3], Open Data Institute(ODI) Seoul[4],
>     Open Knowledge(OK) Korea[5] will co-host the event on 15th Nov near
>     Seoul. The main theme of the conference is ‘Experiment on Open Data
>     based Society.’ Anybody who has similar interest can join this
>     conference.
>
>     Kind regards,
>     신상희
>
>     [1]http://event.r-kor.org/
>     [2]http://www.osgeo.kr/
>     [3]http://r-kor.org/
>     [4]http://seoul.theodi.org/
>     [5]http://okfn.kr/
>     ---
>     Shin, Sanghee
>     Gaia3D, Inc. - The GeoSpatial Company
>     http://www.gaia3d.com

http://metaspatial.net
Spatially enabling your business.

Re: OSGeo and Open Data?

jmckenna
Administrator
Hi Jachym,

I have given talks on OSGeo and open data.  I am sorry to hear that you
believe I said that about the foundation.  I do believe we've discussed
this in face-to-face board meetings before, so maybe that is where you
heard this?  I remember a discussion of adding open data into our
foundation's mission statement, which I believe we did.

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
President Emeritus, OSGeo

On 2016-10-17 6:37 AM, Jachym Cepicky wrote:
> Hi Sanghee,
> I was told some months ago (and I believe, it was Jeff), that we
> (OSGeo.org) are solely software foundation - therefore we do not care
> about open data
>
> maybe things have changed?

> po 17. 10. 2016 v 5:08 odesílatel Sanghee Shin <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> napsal:
>
>     Dear all,
>
>     Can anybody share presentation file about the OSGeo and open data,
>     if any? I’m invited to give a keynote talk at ‘Open Data in Action
>     Conference’[1] in Korea and I don’t want to make the file from the
>     scratch.
>
>     FYI, OSGeo Korea[2], R Korea[3], Open Data Institute(ODI) Seoul[4],
>     Open Knowledge(OK) Korea[5] will co-host the event on 15th Nov near
>     Seoul. The main theme of the conference is ‘Experiment on Open Data
>     based Society.’ Anybody who has similar interest can join this
>     conference.
>
>     Kind regards,
>     신상희
>
>     [1]http://event.r-kor.org/
>     [2]http://www.osgeo.kr/
>     [3]http://r-kor.org/
>     [4]http://seoul.theodi.org/
>     [5]http://okfn.kr/
>     ---
>     Shin, Sanghee
>     Gaia3D, Inc. - The GeoSpatial Company
>     http://www.gaia3d.com

Re: OSGeo and Open Data?

Puneet Kishor
I can confidently say that at least one important iteration of my career in/with open data is a result of my involvement with OSGeo.

> On Oct 17, 2016, at 4:38 PM, Arnulf Christl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Kind of: If somebody approaches OSGeo with a good
> cause we are happy to support it.

--
Puneet Kishor
Just Another Creative Commoner
http://punkish.org/About

Re: OSGeo and Open Data?

jmckenna
Administrator
Yes indeed, we are on the same team here.  Since you mentioned my name,
I tried very hard to make relationships with so many communities
(remember, at some point I was told that OSGeo was being too inclusive,
reaching out to too many groups); so it is hard to please everyone.  For
sure there is more to do, and OSGeo's OpenData committee needs love,
needs more passionate voices, as I hear in your voice.  Maybe Jachym you
could kick-start that committee?  Sometimes committees need a little
nudge, to get things moving again.  Call a meeting of the data
committee, create an agenda, and set some tasks (it's a good way to get
things going again).

-jeff

On 2016-10-17 8:22 AM, Jachym Cepicky wrote:

> I'm just trying to put my memories together - I'm glad, we are all on
> the same board. I try to push open  (geo)data topic as well, in or out
> of OSGeo

> po 17. 10. 2016 v 13:17 odesílatel Jeff McKenna
> napsal:
>
>     Hi Jachym,
>
>     I have given talks on OSGeo and open data.  I am sorry to hear that you
>     believe I said that about the foundation.  I do believe we've discussed
>     this in face-to-face board meetings before, so maybe that is where you
>     heard this?  I remember a discussion of adding open data into our
>     foundation's mission statement, which I believe we did.
>
>     -jeff
>

>     --
>     Jeff McKenna
>     President Emeritus, OSGeo
>     http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Jeff_McKenna
>

>     On 2016-10-17 6:37 AM, Jachym Cepicky wrote:
>     > Hi Sanghee,
>     > I was told some months ago (and I believe, it was Jeff), that we
>     > (OSGeo.org) are solely software foundation - therefore we do not care
>     > about open data
>     >
>     > maybe things have changed?
>     >
>     > J
>     >
>     > po 17. 10. 2016 v 5:08 odesílatel Sanghee Shin <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     > <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>> napsal:
>     >
>     >     Dear all,
>     >
>     >     Can anybody share presentation file about the OSGeo and open data,
>     >     if any? I’m invited to give a keynote talk at ‘Open Data in Action
>     >     Conference’[1] in Korea and I don’t want to make the file from the
>     >     scratch.
>     >
>     >     FYI, OSGeo Korea[2], R Korea[3], Open Data Institute(ODI)
>     Seoul[4],
>     >     Open Knowledge(OK) Korea[5] will co-host the event on 15th Nov
>     near
>     >     Seoul. The main theme of the conference is ‘Experiment on Open
>     Data
>     >     based Society.’ Anybody who has similar interest can join this
>     >     conference.
>     >
>     >     Kind regards,
>     >     신상희
>     >
>     >     [1]http://event.r-kor.org/
>     >     [2]http://www.osgeo.kr/
>     >     [3]http://r-kor.org/
>     >     [4]http://seoul.theodi.org/
>     >     [5]http://okfn.kr/
>     >     ---
>     >     Shin, Sanghee
>     >     Gaia3D, Inc. - The GeoSpatial Company
>     >     http://www.gaia3d.com

Re: OSGeo and Open Data?

Ravi Kumar-3
Hi,
Open Geospatial Data, leads to transparency in civil administration. As seeing is believing. In India we recently avoided a legislation that was in essence curtailing Freedom in Geospatial data.
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User_talk:Ravivundavalli#Some_thoughts_about_Geospatial_Regulation_Bill_2016
Nice to see some discussion on this subject.
Ravi Kumar

    On 2016-10-17 6:37 AM, Jachym Cepicky wrote:
    > Hi Sanghee,
    > I was told some months ago (and I believe, it was Jeff), that we
    > (OSGeo.org) are solely software foundation - therefore we do not care
    > about open data
    >
    > maybe things have changed?

    > po 17. 10. 2016 v 5:08 odesílatel Sanghee Shin <[hidden email]
    <mailto:[hidden email]>
    > <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>> napsal:

    >     Dear all,
    >
    >     Can anybody share presentation file about the OSGeo and open data,
    >     if any? I’m invited to give a keynote talk at ‘Open Data in Action
    >     Conference’[1] in Korea and I don’t want to make the file from the
    >     scratch.
    >
    >     FYI, OSGeo Korea[2], R Korea[3], Open Data Institute(ODI)
    Seoul[4],
    >     Open Knowledge(OK) Korea[5] will co-host the event on 15th Nov
    near
    >     Seoul. The main theme of the conference is ‘Experiment on Open
    Data
    >     based Society.’ Anybody who has similar interest can join this
    >     conference.
    >
    >     Kind regards,
    >     신상희
    >
    >     [1]http://event.r-kor.org/
    >     [2]http://www.osgeo.kr/
    >     [3]http://r-kor.org/
    >     [4]http://seoul.theodi.org/
    >     [5]http://okfn.kr/
    >     ---
    >     Shin, Sanghee
    >     Gaia3D, Inc. - The GeoSpatial Company
    >     http://www.gaia3d.com

Re: OSGeo and Open Data?

jmckenna
Administrator
Hi Sanghee,

I know that Codrina Maria Ilie[1] has focused on promoting Open Data,
and has given some great talks at past FOSS4G events.  She has also been
the chair of the open data track for many events.  I see her as an OSGeo
leader in open data, and she would have so many presentations to share
with you (she was recently part of FOSS4G-Romania as well).

[1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Codrina

-jeff

On 2016-10-17 12:08 AM, Sanghee Shin wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Can anybody share presentation file about the OSGeo and open data, if any? I’m invited to give a keynote talk at ‘Open Data in Action Conference’[1] in Korea and I don’t want to make the file from the scratch.
>
> FYI, OSGeo Korea[2], R Korea[3], Open Data Institute(ODI) Seoul[4], Open Knowledge(OK) Korea[5] will co-host the event on 15th Nov near Seoul. The main theme of the conference is ‘Experiment on Open Data based Society.’ Anybody who has similar interest can join this conference.
>
> Kind regards,
> 신상희
>
> [1]http://event.r-kor.org/
> [2]http://www.osgeo.kr/
> [3]http://r-kor.org/
> [4]http://seoul.theodi.org/
> [5]http://okfn.kr/
> ---
> Shin, Sanghee
> Gaia3D, Inc. - The GeoSpatial Company
> http://www.gaia3d.com

Re: OSGeo and Open Data?

Venkatesh Raghavan
Jachym,

I think it is better to confirm before attributing statements to
someone.

Nobody in his right mind would want Open data out of OSGeo and least of all Jeff.
Yes, we must find a way to reactivate the Public Geodata committee. Perhaps
renaming it as Open Geodata committee would be a start. We also have a new
"Open Geoscience Committee" [1]  with great work being done in longterm
archiving of FOSS4G videos, for instance.

What I would suggest is to strengthen tie-ups with OSM,  HOT and perhaps consider
building something like Data4All, emulating the success of out educational outreach,
Geo4All.

Best

Venka

[1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Open_Geoscience_Committee

    On 2016-10-17 6:37 AM, Jachym Cepicky wrote:
    > Hi Sanghee,
    > I was told some months ago (and I believe, it was Jeff), that we
    > (OSGeo.org) are solely software foundation - therefore we do not care
    > about open data
    >
    > maybe things have changed?

    > po 17. 10. 2016 v 5:08 odesílatel Sanghee Shin <[hidden email]
    <mailto:[hidden email]>
    > <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>> napsal:

    >     Dear all,
    >
    >     Can anybody share presentation file about the OSGeo and open data,
    >     if any? I’m invited to give a keynote talk at ‘Open Data in Action
    >     Conference’[1] in Korea and I don’t want to make the file from the
    >     scratch.
    >
    >     FYI, OSGeo Korea[2], R Korea[3], Open Data Institute(ODI)
    Seoul[4],
    >     Open Knowledge(OK) Korea[5] will co-host the event on 15th Nov
    near
    >     Seoul. The main theme of the conference is ‘Experiment on Open
    Data
    >     based Society.’ Anybody who has similar interest can join this
    >     conference.
    >
    >     Kind regards,
    >     신상희
    >
    >     [1]http://event.r-kor.org/
    >     [2]http://www.osgeo.kr/
    >     [3]http://r-kor.org/
    >     [4]http://seoul.theodi.org/
    >     [5]http://okfn.kr/
    >     ---
    >     Shin, Sanghee
    >     Gaia3D, Inc. - The GeoSpatial Company
    >     http://www.gaia3d.com

Re: OSGeo and Open Data?

Cameron Shorter
Sanghee,

Schuyler Erle's lightening talk at FOSS4G 2008 About the Need For Free
and Open Source Data was one of the most talked about presentations at
the time:

http://nijel.org/blog/71

On 17/10/2016 2:08 PM, Sanghee Shin wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Can anybody share presentation file about the OSGeo and open data, if any? I’m invited to give a keynote talk at ‘Open Data in Action Conference’[1] in Korea and I don’t want to make the file from the scratch.
>
> FYI, OSGeo Korea[2], R Korea[3], Open Data Institute(ODI) Seoul[4], Open Knowledge(OK) Korea[5] will co-host the event on 15th Nov near Seoul. The main theme of the conference is ‘Experiment on Open Data based Society.’ Anybody who has similar interest can join this conference.
>
> Kind regards,
> 신상희
>
> [1]http://event.r-kor.org/
> [2]http://www.osgeo.kr/
> [3]http://r-kor.org/
> [4]http://seoul.theodi.org/
> [5]http://okfn.kr/
> ---
> Shin, Sanghee
> Gaia3D, Inc. - The GeoSpatial Company
> http://www.gaia3d.com

Cameron Shorter
M +61 419 142 254

Re: OSGeo and Open Data?

Andrew Turner @ mapufacture
I think there is a very strong connection to make between open-source and open data.

Open Data is a broad concept that really means "access to data". Access is more than just a download, or a license - it also means having the tools and methods available for everyone to turn the data into something which is relevant to answering specific questions.

It also means that data are available in accessible formats - ones that anyone can use without restriction. Though that's not the same as 'a standard'.

Regarding the Public Geodata Committee, it's worthwhile to consider what unique role OSGeo can provide to improve the global and local situation. There are numerous catalogs of varying states of quality and maintenance - so it's unlikely a need to have yet another catalog

However a few issues that are open questions and could be interesting to work on and beneficial to the broader community:

- Geospatial support of common data catalog formats. Notably DCAT has become prevalent thanks to the development & adoption of CKAN by many national governments. The spatial capabilities are nascent, so what would OSGeo recommend as better practices. Maybe also consider open-source implementations of DCAT publishing and consuming libraries so that more tools (e.g. QGIS) could publish or search and consume from DCAT-capable catalogs
- Guides and Patterns for data analysis with spatial tools. What open-source libraries exist that enhance general data analysis tools such as R, Python, etc. What are the practices for someone new to geospatial who are using these tools find and incorporate geodata into their work?
- Geospatial data formats advocacy. Stefan Keller is well known to pop up in any discussion of the Shapefile to tout the benefits of Geopackage. Can we vet that hypothesis and advocate for more geospatial tools to produce & consume modern formats like Geopackage?

Having spent the past 10 years focusing my open-source development efforts specifically on the publishing, discovery and exploration of open data I'm a bit excited about the topic :)

Andrew

Hi Sanghee,

[hidden email]> napsal:

[...]

Andrew Turner
mobile: 248.982.3609
[hidden email]
http://highearthorbit.com

http://geocommons.com           Helping build the Geospatial Web
Introduction to Neogeography - http://oreilly.com/catalog/neogeography

Re: OSGeo and Open Data?

Maria Antonia Brovelli

In my opinion another relevant topic is open data and its quality, i.e. methods and tools for assessing open data quality.

Some data has metadata quality, some data has not.

Before using them we have to be sure that the characteristics of the data fit our exigences. For instance open data are useless if they are not updated or they are bad quality.

Therefore, I would add to your list

 Methods and FOSS tools for assessing open data quality.

Best.

Maria

Prof. Maria Antonia Brovelli
Vice Rector for Como Campus and GIS Professor
Politecnico di Milano

ISPRS WG IV/4"Collaborative crowdsourced cloud mapping (C3M)"; OSGeo; ICA-OSGeo-ISPRS Advisory Board; NASA WorldWind Europa Challenge; SIFET

Sol Katz Award 2015

Via Natta, 12/14 - 22100 COMO (ITALY)

Tel. +39-031-3327336 - Mob. +39-328-0023867 - fax. +39-031-3327321

e-mail1: [hidden email][hidden email]

e-mail2: [hidden email]

Re: OSGeo and Open Data?

jody.garnett
I have my "welcome" talk which covers what we do around here (open data, open standards, open source, open collaboration).

Open data is a big part of what makes this community awesome.

That said OSGeo originally had open data as part of our mandate (with a committee etc...). This mandate was scaled back last year, to recognize that OSGeo is now pursuing open data through relationships with other communities (such as the open layers community).

So to fit in with your theme, OSM / GeoNames / Natural Earth provide the "open data" and OSGeo provides the "in action".

--
Jody Garnett

On 16 October 2016 at 22:08, Sanghee Shin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

First of all thank you so much for your kind help though this list and private mail. I’m also happy to see nice discussions here.

Kind regards,
신상희
---
Shin, Sanghee
Gaia3D, Inc. - The GeoSpatial Company
http://www.gaia3d.com

2016. 10. 18., 오전 7:27, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> 작성:

[...]

Benoit FOURNIER
Maria, all,

I would slightly disagree here, because I think all data can be of
various degrees of quality and freshness.
Maria, I can re-read your entire message with '(any) data' instead if
'open data' and it makes much more sense to me.
Commercial data, paid data, authoritative data, open data, VGI data:
you always need to assess if they are fit for (your) purpose.
Your proposal "Methods and FOSS tools for assessing open data quality"
could convey the false message that only open data needs checking and
has inherent flaws.

On a side note, in the definition aspect, I would take care of splitting:
- 'good' open data: data released by producer, that anyone can read or
re-use (for transparency, accountability and public participation,
support technological innovation and economic growth, new kinds of
digital applications and services, ...)
- 'bad' open data: labelled 'open data' by the producer, but lacking
in: poor format (not structured, proprietary ...), poor quality (data,
metadata, up-to-date, completeness ...), poor access (not searchable,
not documented, fee, ...) ...
- 'more than' open data: people can read AND write, re-use AND
contribute, assess AND improve; this is more free/libre. This is
OpenStreetMap for generic geodata, other VGI for thematic data ...

Best regards.

Benoît

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 11:00 PM, Maria Antonia Brovelli
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> In my opinion another relevant topic is open data and its quality, i.e.
> methods and tools for assessing open data quality.
>
> Some data has metadata quality, some data has not.
>
> Before using them we have to be sure that the characteristics of the data
> fit our exigences. For instance open data are useless if they are not
> updated or they are bad quality.
>
> Therefore, I would add to your list
>
>  Methods and FOSS tools for assessing open data quality.

>> po 17. 10. 2016 v 5:08 odesílatel Sanghee Shin <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> napsal:
>>
>>     Dear all,
>>
>>     Can anybody share presentation file about the OSGeo and open data,
>>     if any? I’m invited to give a keynote talk at ‘Open Data in Action
>>     Conference’[1] in Korea and I don’t want to make the file from the
>>     scratch.
>>
>>     FYI, OSGeo Korea[2], R Korea[3], Open Data Institute(ODI) Seoul[4],
>>     Open Knowledge(OK) Korea[5] will co-host the event on 15th Nov near
>>     Seoul. The main theme of the conference is ‘Experiment on Open Data
>>     based Society.’ Anybody who has similar interest can join this
>>     conference.
>>
>>     Kind regards,
>>     신상희
>>
>>     [1]http://event.r-kor.org/
>>     [2]http://www.osgeo.kr/
>>     [3]http://r-kor.org/
>>     [4]http://seoul.theodi.org/
>>     [5]http://okfn.kr/
>>     ---
>>     Shin, Sanghee
>>     Gaia3D, Inc. - The GeoSpatial Company
>>     http://www.gaia3d.com

> Andrew Turner
> mobile: 248.982.3609
> [hidden email]
> http://highearthorbit.com
>
> http://geocommons.com           Helping build the Geospatial Web
> Introduction to Neogeography - http://oreilly.com/catalog/neogeography

Re: OSGeo and Open Data?

Cameron Shorter

It is worth mentioning and referencing national Open Data Policies. I'm familiar with the Australian Open Data Policy:

https://www.dpmc.gov.au/resource-centre/data/australian-government-public-data-policy-statement

Other nations have similar policies.