OSGeo / OpenPlanetary joint townhall @ EGU

"Peter Löwe"
Hi Allesandro, hi all,

according to EGU, this is the scope of Townhalls:"At townhall meetings, new initiatives or decisions are announced to a larger audience, followed by an open discussion on the matter raised."

Your proposal appears to be fully compatible with this.

1+ by me.

best,
Peter

<[hidden email]>

> <[hidden email]>
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm glad to inform you that we are formalizing a non-profit association for
> promoting data, tools, workflow sharing among planetary science community.
> The name of the association is OpenPlanetary [1] and has an international
> board of directors working in the field of planetary research. The use and
> promotion of Free Open Source software is a big part of our activity which
> has been mostly done within scientific workshops and congresses in the form
> of tutorials and hands-on sessions on tools and data access.
>
> Since some geospatial software we actively use is promoted by OSGeo, we
> would like to have the chance to get OpenPlanetary and OpenGeocience/OSGeo
> known to each other.
>
> Peter proposed the EGU Townhall session as a possible chance to start a
> discussion of possible synergies or coordinated activities. That would be a
> nice event for starting activities of OpenPlanetary outside of planetary
> science congresses.
>
> Best,
>
> Alessandro Frigeri
>
> [1] http://www.openplanetary.org
>

> --
> Alessandro Frigeri, PhD
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Re: OSGeo / OpenPlanetary joint townhall @ EGU

Yann Chemin
Hey Alessandro, Hi Peter, Hi all,

a very loud +1 for communicating the initiative at EGU. Many best wishes for this !

Yann

Dr. Yann Chemin
+33 7 83 85 5234
3 Toulmelin, 56400 Plumergat, FR

On 19 Nov 2018, at 09:32, Peter Löwe <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Suchith Anand

Excellent idea.

Best wishes,

Suchith

according to EGU, this is the scope of Townhalls:"At townhall meetings, new initiatives or decisions are announced to a larger audience, followed by an open discussion on the matter raised."

Your proposal appears to be fully compatible with this.

1+ by me.

best,
Peter

<[hidden email]>

>        <CAKAhehcQpkNyMTdu66S0cWs9k+[hidden email]>
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm glad to inform you that we are formalizing a non-profit association for
> promoting data, tools, workflow sharing among planetary science community.
> The name of the association is OpenPlanetary [1] and has an international
> board of directors working in the field of planetary research. The use and
> promotion of Free Open Source software is a big part of our activity which
> has been mostly done within scientific workshops and congresses in the form
> of tutorials and hands-on sessions on tools and data access.
>
> Since some geospatial software we actively use is promoted by OSGeo, we
> would like to have the chance to get OpenPlanetary and OpenGeocience/OSGeo
> known to each other.
>
> Peter proposed the EGU Townhall session as a possible chance to start a
> discussion of possible synergies or coordinated activities. That would be a
> nice event for starting activities of OpenPlanetary outside of planetary
> science congresses.
>
> Best,
>
> Alessandro Frigeri
>
> [1] http://www.openplanetary.org

> --
> Alessandro Frigeri, PhD
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

attachment.

where permitted by law.

OSGeo / OpenPlanetary joint townhall @ EGU is go

"Peter Löwe"
Hi all,

the organizers for the EGU GA 2019 have accepted and confirmed our townhall proposal.

The draft description is available here in the conference programme:
https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2019/session/33573
-> the abstract text was copied from this years townhall and needs to be updated accordingly. Input from the Open Planetary community will be required for this.

Overview of all townhalls and splinter meetings:
http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/egu2019/sessionprogramme/tsm

More later,
Peter

Gesendet: Montag, 19. November 2018 um 13:43 Uhr
Von: "Suchith Anand" <[hidden email]>
An: "Peter Löwe" <[hidden email]>, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

Excellent idea.

Best wishes,

Suchith

according to EGU, this is the scope of Townhalls:"At townhall meetings, new initiatives or decisions are announced to a larger audience, followed by an open discussion on the matter raised."

Your proposal appears to be fully compatible with this.

1+ by me.

best,
Peter

<[hidden email]>

>        <[hidden email]>
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm glad to inform you that we are formalizing a non-profit association for
> promoting data, tools, workflow sharing among planetary science community.
> The name of the association is OpenPlanetary [1] and has an international
> board of directors working in the field of planetary research. The use and
> promotion of Free Open Source software is a big part of our activity which
> has been mostly done within scientific workshops and congresses in the form
> of tutorials and hands-on sessions on tools and data access.
>
> Since some geospatial software we actively use is promoted by OSGeo, we
> would like to have the chance to get OpenPlanetary and OpenGeocience/OSGeo
> known to each other.
>
> Peter proposed the EGU Townhall session as a possible chance to start a
> discussion of possible synergies or coordinated activities. That would be a
> nice event for starting activities of OpenPlanetary outside of planetary
> science congresses.
>
> Best,
>
> Alessandro Frigeri
>
> [1] http://www.openplanetary.org

We are an open community of planetary scientists and software developers who come together to share, discuss and improve our data, tools, workflow and overall knowledge of our Solar System.