OSGeo Oceania as a not-for-profit entity? Your feedback, please

OSGeo Oceania as a not-for-profit entity? Your feedback, please

John Bryant
Hi all,

As promised, following on the heels of the successful FOSS4G SotM Oceania conference in November 2018, we have embarked on a journey to lay down a strong foundation for the growth of this community. In addition to planning a new instance of the conference in Wellington, New Zealand, for November 2019, we are also doing significant ground work on establishing a not-for-profit that can manage funds, enter into agreements, and act as a local chapter of OSGeo and OSMF.

We have developed a recommendation for an initial path forward, and we'd like you, the community, to provide your feedback. If you have experience or knowledge here, and can provide insight, or wish to contribute your thoughts, please chime in. Your comments are most welcome, and can be provided by responding to this email, or by commenting in the Google Doc.

The draft recommendation is attached as a PDF, and a live Google Doc version is linked here. We will take input until the end of next week (29 March). At that point, we'll make adjustments where warranted, and hopefully be in a position to raise a motion to the OSGeo Oceania board to accept the recommendation, and begin the process.

If this is all new to you, and you're wondering what the heck OSGeo Oceania even is, please check out this basic wiki page that will give you a bit of background. We'll be fleshing this out in the coming months, but I hope it gives you enough of an idea. We will certainly be aiming to increase our outreach, and get people involved from across the region.

Any questions, please ask!

Cheers
John Bryant
on behalf of OSGeo Oceania

Proposal for Entity Structure.pdf (146K) Download Attachment

Re: [OSGeo Oceania] OSGeo Oceania as a not-for-profit entity? Your feedback, please

John Bryant
Hi Bruce, we're hoping to wrap up this comment period on the 29th, it would be good to take your comments into account before we embark on a course of action if possible.

Can you be a bit more specific about which email you're referring to (or does someone else perhaps know)? Alternatively are you able to provide a summary here?

In any case, we will of course always be open to discussion on the direction of this organisation!

Cheers
John

On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 at 18:13, Bruce Bannerman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi John,

I’m currently travelling through Outback Australia with severely limited Internet access.

I intend making comments, but will not be able to do so until early April, after I return.

For starters, see my earlier email on liability on the AustNZ list several months ago.

Kind regards,

Bruce

On 18 Mar 2019, at 19:31, John Bryant <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Re: [talk-au] [OSGeo Oceania] OSGeo Oceania as a not-for-profit entity? Your feedback, please

Bruce Bannerman-3
Hi John,

Sorry, I’m going for days with no phone or Internet access, and when I do get it, it’s limited to one bar of 3G... quite refreshing really.

The email I referred to is at [1]. It is more towards the bottom of my comments, talking about liability, who has the right to appoint, what to do if control is not relinquished etc etc.

Add to this, what jurisdiction to use in a multi-national group like Oceania.

I looked into these issues a number of years ago for AustNZ and for my consultancy.

I don’t have the ability or time to research this further where I am now.

Just a note of caution, I understand that under Australian law that office holders can be held personally liable. However, I am not an expert on this.

I suggest taking up Jody Garnet’s offer from August last year, of some funding to get appropriate advice on the founding of a legal entity.

Kind regards,

Bruce

On 22 Mar 2019, at 15:03, Phil Wyatt <[hidden email]> wrote:

Might be back here John although I cant see anything specific

https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/aust-nz/2018-August/thread.html#1932