OSGeo / OGC collaboration update

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

OSGeo / OGC collaboration update

Tom Kralidis

Adding a subject (sorry!)

On Thu, 16 Jan 2020, Tom Kralidis wrote:

> Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2020 14:45:46 +0000 (UTC)
> From: Tom Kralidis <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Cc: [hidden email]
>
> Hi Scott: hope all is well.  Happy New Year and all the best for 2020!
>
> Following up from our OSGeo / OGC discussion in August 2019 (see
> notes/minutes in [1], some areas of interest we can move forward on
> collaboratively:
>
> 1. OSGeo code sprint in Athens [2]
>
> As discussed in a separate thread it would be great to have OGC at the event.
> We have communicated the event to the OGC API - Records SWG which could be a
> suitable sprint during that time.  Angelos, Stephan (Meissl), myself and
> others
> will continue to work with you/OGC to realize OGC presence in Athens in May.
> We are also discussing having an OGC API presentation at the sprint by
> someone
> from OGC.
>
> Cross pollination between OGC and OSGeo sprints would IMO result in
> significant advances to both OGC standards development as well as OSGeo
> adoption of same.
>
> 2. CITE teamengine OSGeo project incubation
>
> CITE is a very important part of many OSGeo projects.  It would be valuable
> to
> have someone from the CITE / teamengine project in support of completing
> incubation to become an official OSGeo project, as well as potentially
> working
> with OSGeo projects on sprinting OGC Compliance as required.
>
> 3. OSGeo voting status
>
> We briefly discussed OSGeo having a vote as part of our membership.  Any
> thoughts
> on this possibility?
>
> 4. OSGeo / OGC MOU
>
> Bruce Bannerman has offered to review the MOU and gather/provide some input
> on evolving the MOU over time.  I am following up with Bruce shortly and we
> hope to provide feedback/input in the near future.
>
> Looking forward to your thoughts and continued collaboration.
>
> Thanks
>
> ..Tom
>
> [1]
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/14rjAaJJwi4nfJWmhs-JE_nQu26SwTkYxmWS1OSNWt00/edit#heading=h.73mkgfqvce1t
> [2] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Community_Sprint_2020
>
_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OSGeo / OGC collaboration update

Scott Simmons-2
Hi Tom,

Happy New Year to you as well!

I have provided some commentary inline, below.

Best Regards,
Scott

> On Jan 16, 2020, at 7:47 AM, Tom Kralidis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
> Adding a subject (sorry!)
>
> On Thu, 16 Jan 2020, Tom Kralidis wrote:
>
>> Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2020 14:45:46 +0000 (UTC)
>> From: Tom Kralidis <[hidden email]>
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Cc: [hidden email]
>> Hi Scott: hope all is well.  Happy New Year and all the best for 2020!
>>
>> Following up from our OSGeo / OGC discussion in August 2019 (see
>> notes/minutes in [1], some areas of interest we can move forward on collaboratively:
>>
>> 1. OSGeo code sprint in Athens [2]
>>
>> As discussed in a separate thread it would be great to have OGC at the event.
>> We have communicated the event to the OGC API - Records SWG which could be a
>> suitable sprint during that time.  Angelos, Stephan (Meissl), myself and others
>> will continue to work with you/OGC to realize OGC presence in Athens in May.
>> We are also discussing having an OGC API presentation at the sprint by someone
>> from OGC.
>>
>> Cross pollination between OGC and OSGeo sprints would IMO result in
>> significant advances to both OGC standards development as well as OSGeo
>> adoption of same.

I really like this idea and we are quickly working through the logistics from the OGC side. We also have interest in one other Sprint or Hackathon for OGC API in 2020 and my discussion on that topic with sponsors will be at the end of next week. We could steer the joint effort with OSGeo toward Records and have another topic for the other sprint.


>>
>> 2. CITE teamengine OSGeo project incubation
>>
>> CITE is a very important part of many OSGeo projects.  It would be valuable to
>> have someone from the CITE / teamengine project in support of completing
>> incubation to become an official OSGeo project, as well as potentially working
>> with OSGeo projects on sprinting OGC Compliance as required.

Good idea - we’ll look at CITE representatives (or other OGC staff) schedules.

>>
>> 3. OSGeo voting status
>>
>> We briefly discussed OSGeo having a vote as part of our membership.  Any thoughts
>> on this possibility?

Let’s connect this topic to that of the MOU.

>>
>> 4. OSGeo / OGC MOU
>>
>> Bruce Bannerman has offered to review the MOU and gather/provide some input
>> on evolving the MOU over time.  I am following up with Bruce shortly and we
>> hope to provide feedback/input in the near future.
>>
>> Looking forward to your thoughts and continued collaboration.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> ..Tom
>>
>> [1] https://docs.google.com/document/d/14rjAaJJwi4nfJWmhs-JE_nQu26SwTkYxmWS1OSNWt00/edit#heading=h.73mkgfqvce1t
>> [2] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Community_Sprint_2020
>>

_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OSGeo / OGC collaboration update

jody.garnett
I caught up with the CITE Team lead at osgeo sprint last year and made significant progress on the incubation checklist ... Here is the progress shared via email:
* Resulting in outstanding issues to work on.
--
Jody Garnett


On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 at 18:12, Scott Simmons <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Tom,

Happy New Year to you as well!

I have provided some commentary inline, below.

Best Regards,
Scott

> On Jan 16, 2020, at 7:47 AM, Tom Kralidis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
> Adding a subject (sorry!)
>
> On Thu, 16 Jan 2020, Tom Kralidis wrote:
>
>> Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2020 14:45:46 +0000 (UTC)
>> From: Tom Kralidis <[hidden email]>
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Cc: [hidden email]
>> Hi Scott: hope all is well.  Happy New Year and all the best for 2020!
>>
>> Following up from our OSGeo / OGC discussion in August 2019 (see
>> notes/minutes in [1], some areas of interest we can move forward on collaboratively:
>>
>> 1. OSGeo code sprint in Athens [2]
>>
>> As discussed in a separate thread it would be great to have OGC at the event.
>> We have communicated the event to the OGC API - Records SWG which could be a
>> suitable sprint during that time.  Angelos, Stephan (Meissl), myself and others
>> will continue to work with you/OGC to realize OGC presence in Athens in May.
>> We are also discussing having an OGC API presentation at the sprint by someone
>> from OGC.
>>
>> Cross pollination between OGC and OSGeo sprints would IMO result in
>> significant advances to both OGC standards development as well as OSGeo
>> adoption of same.

I really like this idea and we are quickly working through the logistics from the OGC side. We also have interest in one other Sprint or Hackathon for OGC API in 2020 and my discussion on that topic with sponsors will be at the end of next week. We could steer the joint effort with OSGeo toward Records and have another topic for the other sprint.


>>
>> 2. CITE teamengine OSGeo project incubation
>>
>> CITE is a very important part of many OSGeo projects.  It would be valuable to
>> have someone from the CITE / teamengine project in support of completing
>> incubation to become an official OSGeo project, as well as potentially working
>> with OSGeo projects on sprinting OGC Compliance as required.

Good idea - we’ll look at CITE representatives (or other OGC staff) schedules.

>>
>> 3. OSGeo voting status
>>
>> We briefly discussed OSGeo having a vote as part of our membership.  Any thoughts
>> on this possibility?

Let’s connect this topic to that of the MOU.

>>
>> 4. OSGeo / OGC MOU
>>
>> Bruce Bannerman has offered to review the MOU and gather/provide some input
>> on evolving the MOU over time.  I am following up with Bruce shortly and we
>> hope to provide feedback/input in the near future.
>>
>> Looking forward to your thoughts and continued collaboration.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> ..Tom
>>
>> [1] https://docs.google.com/document/d/14rjAaJJwi4nfJWmhs-JE_nQu26SwTkYxmWS1OSNWt00/edit#heading=h.73mkgfqvce1t
>> [2] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Community_Sprint_2020
>>

_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board

_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OSGeo / OGC collaboration update

Cameron Shorter
In reply to this post by Scott Simmons-2

While I like the idea of OSGeo having a vote on the OGC, I think it would be impractical in practice.

As OSGeo are all volunteers, who would take responsibility for casting the vote. How will that person collate the opinions of the thousands of volunteers in a reasonable timeframe?

From my personal experience, if an OSGeo member has a compelling opinion to share with the OGC, then the OGC have been very supportive of ensuring that opinion is heard. We probably don't need to introduce a complex process to formalise something which happens well already.

On 17/1/20 1:12 pm, Scott Simmons wrote:
3. OSGeo voting status

We briefly discussed OSGeo having a vote as part of our membership.  Any thoughts
on this possibility?
Let’s connect this topic to that of the MOU. 

-- 
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier
Open Technologies and Geospatial Consultant

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OSGeo / OGC collaboration update

Tom Kralidis
In reply to this post by Scott Simmons-2
Hi Scott: comments interleaved below.

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 9:12 PM Scott Simmons <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Hi Tom,
>
> Happy New Year to you as well!
>
> I have provided some commentary inline, below.
>
> Best Regards,
> Scott
>
> > On Jan 16, 2020, at 7:47 AM, Tom Kralidis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >
> > Adding a subject (sorry!)
> >
> > On Thu, 16 Jan 2020, Tom Kralidis wrote:
> >
> >> Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2020 14:45:46 +0000 (UTC)
> >> From: Tom Kralidis <[hidden email]>
> >> To: [hidden email]
> >> Cc: [hidden email]
> >> Hi Scott: hope all is well.  Happy New Year and all the best for 2020!
> >>
> >> Following up from our OSGeo / OGC discussion in August 2019 (see
> >> notes/minutes in [1], some areas of interest we can move forward on collaboratively:
> >>
> >> 1. OSGeo code sprint in Athens [2]
> >>
> >> As discussed in a separate thread it would be great to have OGC at the event.
> >> We have communicated the event to the OGC API - Records SWG which could be a
> >> suitable sprint during that time.  Angelos, Stephan (Meissl), myself and others
> >> will continue to work with you/OGC to realize OGC presence in Athens in May.
> >> We are also discussing having an OGC API presentation at the sprint by someone
> >> from OGC.
> >>
> >> Cross pollination between OGC and OSGeo sprints would IMO result in
> >> significant advances to both OGC standards development as well as OSGeo
> >> adoption of same.
>
> I really like this idea and we are quickly working through the logistics from the OGC side. We also have interest in one other Sprint or Hackathon for OGC API in 2020 and my discussion on that topic with sponsors will be at the end of next week. We could steer the joint effort with OSGeo toward Records and have another topic for the other sprint.
>

In another thread Stephan (Meissl) discussed having an OGC API -
Coverages co-located in Athens.

What is OGC's Hackathon/Sprint schedule for 2020?  We could find
additional opportunities also.

>
> >>
> >> 2. CITE teamengine OSGeo project incubation
> >>
> >> CITE is a very important part of many OSGeo projects.  It would be valuable to
> >> have someone from the CITE / teamengine project in support of completing
> >> incubation to become an official OSGeo project, as well as potentially working
> >> with OSGeo projects on sprinting OGC Compliance as required.
>
> Good idea - we’ll look at CITE representatives (or other OGC staff) schedules.

This would be great.

> >>
> >> 3. OSGeo voting status
> >>
> >> We briefly discussed OSGeo having a vote as part of our membership.  Any thoughts
> >> on this possibility?
>
> Let’s connect this topic to that of the MOU.
>

OK.  Once we (OSGeo) review/analyze the current MOU we will provide
feedback as the first
step.

..Tom


> >>
> >> 4. OSGeo / OGC MOU
> >>
> >> Bruce Bannerman has offered to review the MOU and gather/provide some input
> >> on evolving the MOU over time.  I am following up with Bruce shortly and we
> >> hope to provide feedback/input in the near future.
> >>
> >> Looking forward to your thoughts and continued collaboration.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> ..Tom
> >>
> >> [1] https://docs.google.com/document/d/14rjAaJJwi4nfJWmhs-JE_nQu26SwTkYxmWS1OSNWt00/edit#heading=h.73mkgfqvce1t
> >> [2] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Community_Sprint_2020
> >>
>
_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OSGeo / OGC collaboration update

Scott Simmons-2
Hi Tom,

I’ll keep the interleaving going!

Scott

On Feb 1, 2020, at 9:30 AM, Tom Kralidis <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Scott: comments interleaved below.

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 9:12 PM Scott Simmons <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Tom,

Happy New Year to you as well!

I have provided some commentary inline, below.

Best Regards,
Scott

On Jan 16, 2020, at 7:47 AM, Tom Kralidis <[hidden email]> wrote:


Adding a subject (sorry!)

On Thu, 16 Jan 2020, Tom Kralidis wrote:

Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2020 14:45:46 +0000 (UTC)
From: Tom Kralidis <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Cc: [hidden email]
Hi Scott: hope all is well.  Happy New Year and all the best for 2020!

Following up from our OSGeo / OGC discussion in August 2019 (see
notes/minutes in [1], some areas of interest we can move forward on collaboratively:

1. OSGeo code sprint in Athens [2]

As discussed in a separate thread it would be great to have OGC at the event.
We have communicated the event to the OGC API - Records SWG which could be a
suitable sprint during that time.  Angelos, Stephan (Meissl), myself and others
will continue to work with you/OGC to realize OGC presence in Athens in May.
We are also discussing having an OGC API presentation at the sprint by someone
from OGC.

Cross pollination between OGC and OSGeo sprints would IMO result in
significant advances to both OGC standards development as well as OSGeo
adoption of same.

I really like this idea and we are quickly working through the logistics from the OGC side. We also have interest in one other Sprint or Hackathon for OGC API in 2020 and my discussion on that topic with sponsors will be at the end of next week. We could steer the joint effort with OSGeo toward Records and have another topic for the other sprint.


In another thread Stephan (Meissl) discussed having an OGC API -
Coverages co-located in Athens.

What is OGC's Hackathon/Sprint schedule for 2020?  We could find
additional opportunities also.


We are looking at maybe a Tiles Sprint in London in late March; there is also an Environmental Data Retrieval API Sprint planned for mid-March in Washington, D.C. Athens in May works nicely, then I expect another OGC Sprint in October or so.




2. CITE teamengine OSGeo project incubation

CITE is a very important part of many OSGeo projects.  It would be valuable to
have someone from the CITE / teamengine project in support of completing
incubation to become an official OSGeo project, as well as potentially working
with OSGeo projects on sprinting OGC Compliance as required.

Good idea - we’ll look at CITE representatives (or other OGC staff) schedules.

This would be great.

Gobe Hobona is now leading CITE. Conveniently, he is also very up-to-date on the OGC API efforts and led our Hackathon last June in London.



3. OSGeo voting status

We briefly discussed OSGeo having a vote as part of our membership.  Any thoughts
on this possibility?

Let’s connect this topic to that of the MOU.


OK.  Once we (OSGeo) review/analyze the current MOU we will provide
feedback as the first
step.

..Tom



4. OSGeo / OGC MOU

Bruce Bannerman has offered to review the MOU and gather/provide some input
on evolving the MOU over time.  I am following up with Bruce shortly and we
hope to provide feedback/input in the near future.

Looking forward to your thoughts and continued collaboration.

Thanks

..Tom

[1] https://docs.google.com/document/d/14rjAaJJwi4nfJWmhs-JE_nQu26SwTkYxmWS1OSNWt00/edit#heading=h.73mkgfqvce1t
[2] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Community_Sprint_2020


_______________________________________________
Board mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board