OSGeo Live USB

James Klassen
I'd like to make an 8GB USB image of OSGeo Live 11 that uses the extra
space on the USB stick for a persistence file.

Back in the Lubuntu 14.04 days, I used a tool called "Startup Disk
Creator" (a.k.a. usb-creator-gtk) that when run from a system booted to
the OSGeoLive ISO could create a bootable USB with a persistence file
(casper-rw).  It looks like Ubuntu took away the persistence file option
from that tool in 16.04.

I know I can use dd to copy the .iso to the USB stick and it will work,
but without persistence.  It seems like a step backwards if people loose
all their work every time they reboot.

Does anyone know how to do make an image with persistence enabled with
OSGeo Live 11?

Re: OSGeo Live USB

Angelos Tzotsos
Hi Jim,

The Ubuntu team switched the way they produce their iso files, so the
usb creator application got re-written.
Unfortunately the persistence feature was lost in that process.

At the beginning of the 10.0 development I ported the previous version
of the usb creator tool from 14.04 to 16.04 for testing purposes.
https://launchpad.net/~gcpp-kalxas/+archive/ubuntu/ppa-tzotsos/+sourcepub/6744322/+listing-archive-extra

This version has the persistence feature but I am not sure it is working
as expected.

Best,
Angelos

On 02/12/2018 11:43 PM, Jim Klassen wrote:

> I'd like to make an 8GB USB image of OSGeo Live 11 that uses the extra
> space on the USB stick for a persistence file.
>
> Back in the Lubuntu 14.04 days, I used a tool called "Startup Disk
> Creator" (a.k.a. usb-creator-gtk) that when run from a system booted to
> the OSGeoLive ISO could create a bootable USB with a persistence file
> (casper-rw).  It looks like Ubuntu took away the persistence file option
> from that tool in 16.04.
>
> I know I can use dd to copy the .iso to the USB stick and it will work,
> but without persistence.  It seems like a step backwards if people loose
> all their work every time they reboot.
>
> Does anyone know how to do make an image with persistence enabled with
> OSGeo Live 11?

Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
Charter Member
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://users.ntua.gr/tzotsos

Re: OSGeo Live USB

James Klassen
Thank you!  It appears to have worked for me.  I have tested the
resulting image under amd64 on BIOS and EFI.  Both boot, and both honor
the persistence.

For reference, I used the following commands to install this from within
a VM booted to the OSGeo Live 11 ISO:

    sudo su
    apt-add-repository ppa:gcpp-kalxas/ppa-tzotsos
    apt update
    apt policy usb-creator-gtk # check the version available in the PPA
    apt install usb-creator-gtk=0.2.67ubuntu2
usb-creator-common=0.2.67ubuntu2

On 02/14/2018 02:55 AM, Angelos Tzotsos wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> The Ubuntu team switched the way they produce their iso files, so the
> usb creator application got re-written.
> Unfortunately the persistence feature was lost in that process.
>
> At the beginning of the 10.0 development I ported the previous version
> of the usb creator tool from 14.04 to 16.04 for testing purposes.
> https://launchpad.net/~gcpp-kalxas/+archive/ubuntu/ppa-tzotsos/+sourcepub/6744322/+listing-archive-extra
>

> This version has the persistence feature but I am not sure it is
> working as expected.
>
> Best,
> Angelos
>
> On 02/12/2018 11:43 PM, Jim Klassen wrote:
>> I'd like to make an 8GB USB image of OSGeo Live 11 that uses the extra
>> space on the USB stick for a persistence file.
>>
>> Back in the Lubuntu 14.04 days, I used a tool called "Startup Disk
>> Creator" (a.k.a. usb-creator-gtk) that when run from a system booted to
>> the OSGeoLive ISO could create a bootable USB with a persistence file
>> (casper-rw).  It looks like Ubuntu took away the persistence file option
>> from that tool in 16.04.
>>
>> I know I can use dd to copy the .iso to the USB stick and it will work,
>> but without persistence.  It seems like a step backwards if people loose
>> all their work every time they reboot.
>>
>> Does anyone know how to do make an image with persistence enabled with
>> OSGeo Live 11?

Re: OSGeo Live USB

Angelos Tzotsos
Good news.

Lets see if that will work on Bionic when it is released :)

Best,
Angelos

>>> http://live.osgeo.org