[OSGeo-Live] Moving to Transifex - step 2 - Battle testing

[OSGeo-Live] Moving to Transifex - step 2 - Battle testing

Nicolas Roelandt
Dear OSGeo members and contributors,

We are excited to announce that after many months work, we have set up the Transifex platform to run OSGeo-Live translations [1], and we want help battle testing it in several languages.

Transifex will hugely simplify and improve the sustainability of our translation experience (over our previous manual spreadsheet / git / .rst process).

It offers machine translation.
It provides a review process.
It shows us what is changed in the English doc version.
It shows translation progress

What is involved

We describe what to do in our first draft of the translator guide [2]. For testing the infrastructure, translated files are needed. You can translate based on the priority mark, or on the amount of lines to be translated, or complete a translation that someone else started, or start with your own project. Note that we already marked files that don't need translation.

Please tell us if the guide makes sense. (The guide is probably more for a reviewer than for a translator.) If the images below don't show in your mail, they are included in our translator guide [2]

They are mark with a red >> on the left.

Link to image: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/File:OSGEo-Live_transifex_01_index.png

After that testing phase, we will work on translating included projects, where people from the projects can help us.

Those files generally start by overview-- or quickstart-- and are mark with an orange >

Link to image: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/File:OSGEo-Live_transifex_02_second_priority.png

The files marked with a green dash don't need to be translated (and would be retired at some point).

Link to image: https://wiki.osgeo.org/images/thumb/9/95/OSGEo-Live_transifex_03_retired_files.png/500px-OSGEo-Live_transifex_03_retired_files.png

Best way to start is to filter for v11 files and descending priority:

Link to image: https://wiki.osgeo.org/images/thumb/3/3c/OSGEo-Live_transifex_04_priority.png/500px-OSGEo-Live_transifex_04_priority.png

As you can see on the dashboard [3], we already have 8 languages registered waiting for translators:

- finnish
- french
- german
- greek
- japanese
- polish
- spanish
- Mexican spanish

If you can help us translating those languages, or help us with another, please create an account on transifex and join us.

Pro. tip: you can copy/paste translations from current documentation [4] or from github [5] and check whether it still fits in with the string to translate.

If you have any question, please join us through the Transifex platform, on IRC or on the OSGeo-Live mailing list [6].

Best regards,

Vicky Vergara and Nicolas Roelandt

OSGeo-Live team

[1] https://www.transifex.com/osgeo/osgeolive/

[2] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeoLive_Translation_Process#WORK_IN_PROGRESS

[3] https://www.transifex.com/osgeo/osgeolive/languages/

[4]  https://live.osgeo.org/en/index.html

[5] https://github.com/OSGeo/OSGeoLive-doc/

[6] OSGeo-Live contact us: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc#Contact_Us

[7] OSGeo-Live Press Release : https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc_Press_Release_80

Re: [OSGeo-Live] Moving to Transifex - step 2 - Battle testing

Sandro Santilli-4
On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 07:38:00AM +0200, Nicolas Roelandt wrote:

> Transifex will hugely simplify and improve the sustainability of our
> translation experience (over our previous manual spreadsheet / git / .rst
> process).
>
> It offers machine translation.
> It provides a review process.
> It shows us what is changed in the English doc version.
> It shows translation progress

Sorry to mention as I understand it took a long time to set this up,
but I'd add an additional point, that since 2013:

  - It is proprietary software

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transifex:

>> Transifex itself was originally an open source project, but the
>> development of an open source version of the software was discontinued
>> in 2013. [3][4]

More info:
https://github.com/transifex/transifex/issues/206#issuecomment-15243207

A possible alternative owuld be Weblate:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weblate (GPLv3+)
The developers offer hosting plans (including gratis for free software):
https://weblate.org/en/hosting/

--strk;