OSGeo Ireland 2020 Event Options

Seth GIRVIN-2

Hi all,

I spoke with Daniel last week and came up with the following options for a 2020 event.

  1. A one-day symposium as per previous years. Maynooth university has been mentioned as a possible location, otherwise a hotel. At this stage June would likely be the earliest date to aim for to give time to organise/arrange speakers.
  2. A one-day weekend event, possibly in conjunction with OSM Ireland – see https://www.openstreetmap.ie/events-for-2020/ - “we are looking at Limerick and possibly somewhere in the midlands”. A weekend event would be more low-key and informal.
  3. A one-day weekend event in Dublin, in a location such as Dogpatch Labs - https://dogpatchlabs.com/
  4. Have an OSGeo presence at other events such as:
    1. PyCon Limerick – see https://www.meetup.com/PyDataDublin/events/264267433/ on Saturday 29th February 2020
    2. Irish Earth Observation Symposium – as mentioned by Guy in the previous email thread

I can put together a survey, although it may be as east to canvas and collate opinions directly on the list.

Regards,

Seth

Seth GIRVIN

System Services

Compass Informatics – Your Information & Location Technologies Partner

Compass Informatics
Block 8, Blackrock Business Park
Carysfort Avenue, Blackrock
Co. Dublin, Ireland

Tel: +353-1-2104580
Email:
[hidden email]

Dublin ● Cape Town ● London

http://www.compass.ie/contact/
http://www.compassinformatics.com/contact/

compass_logo2

Re: OSGeo Ireland 2020 Event Options

daniel mcinerney-2

Hi List,

Just following up on Seth's email below to see if anyone has some suggestions regarding potential events this year.  I support all options, but my current preference would be for either option 2 or 3.

Best regards,

Daniel.

On 22/12/2019 19:40, Seth GIRVIN wrote:

[...]

Guy Serbin
Hi Everyone,

If choosing a one-day weekend event, would it be possible to arrange it on a Sunday? Some of us cannot attend on Saturdays due to religious reasons.

Best regards,
Guy

On Wed, Jan 8, 2020 at 2:50 PM Daniel McInerney <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Heikki Vesanto

From an OpenStreetMap Ireland perspective we would be happy to co-host an event.

I think a smaller scale weekend event would be preferable for us. It could be a joint focus with some OSM mapping to begin with and then a hands on workshop focused on working with OSM data in QGIS for example.

From our perspective a non summer event would be preferable, possibly April or October, but can be flexible.

Best regards,

Heikki

Heikki Vesanto
Board Member / Secretary
OpenStreetMap Ireland CLG
CRO no. 638034
www.openstreetmap.ie
cropped-osmie@3x-270x250.png

[...]

Hi Heikki,

I think a co-hosted event would work well – there is plenty of overlap between open data and open software, and its users.

We were thinking a small scale, possibly weekend event would work best. Daniel is based in Limerick and could possibly arrange hosting there.

Later in the year we are considering a similar scaled event, but maybe aim for the week around IRLOGI in a small venue in Dublin.

Seth

Re: OSGeo Ireland 2020 Event Options

daniel mcinerney-2

Hi Heikki, Seth,

Firstly, apologies for the late reply to your email. I fully agree that we should try to aim for a weekend event co-hosted with OSM Ireland.  @Heikki - you mentioned that a non-summer event would be preferable, but would you consider late May? Once we agree on a date and (possible) location(s), we can proceed with the planning.

Let us know your thoughts.

Best regards,

Daniel.

On 28/02/2020 11:04, Seth GIRVIN wrote:

Hi Heikki,

I think a co-hosted event would work well – there is plenty of overlap between open data and open software, and its users.

We were thinking a small scale, possibly weekend event would work best. Daniel is based in Limerick and could possibly arrange hosting there.

Later in the year we are considering a similar scaled event, but maybe aim for the week around IRLOGI in a small venue in Dublin.

Seth

Re: OSGeo Ireland 2020 Event Options

Padraig Fitzmaurice
Hi All

Apologies for not responding sooner - gmail had decided to put the last emails from the forum in my spam folder!!!

I agree with what has been said so far in relation to an event this year. I guess we need to meet perhaps to discuss a location and date etc.

Regards
Pádraig Fitzmaurice