OSGEO4W64 installs after failed download

OSGEO4W64 installs after failed download

Reginald
Hi,

Today I noticed that there was a new version of QGIS.
I decided to update.
During the update process the installer informed me that the download was
incomplete. I choosed to try again but again it ended up incomplete so I
choosed no the second time.
I expected the installation to STOP because the download was INCOMPLETE.
But no: immediately the installer began uninstalling the existing and
working QGIS installation :-(
I ended up with a QGIS 3.4 installation without python support which I need
a lot.
This is the failure:
Problemen bij het laden van de SIP module.
Python-ondersteuning wordt uitgeschakeld.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "", line 1, in
  File "C:/OSGEO4~1/apps/qgis/./python\qgis\__init__.py", line 72, in
    from qgis.PyQt import QtCore
  File "C:/OSGEO4~1/apps/qgis/./python\qgis\PyQt\QtCore.py", line 26, in
    from PyQt5.QtCore import *
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'PyQt5.QtCore'

So I hope the devs that make the installer read this and when the download
is incomplete they show a message that says: Downloading all the needed
files failed. Try again installing later.

Re: OSGEO4W64 installs after failed download

Reginald
Update

I found out that the invalid download was caused by internal network
filtering or blocking.
Some of the applications that the installer downloads were allowed some were
blocked.
Do they come from other URL?
Luckely there is an option to install from a local directory. The sys admin
downloaded the needed files with his phone as USB thetering device to a
network directory.
After that I could install the newest LTR version.
OSGeo4W is great software.
Just a messagebox that allows the installation to be interrupted would make
it greater ;-)

Ciao,

Re: OSGEO4W64 installs after failed download

pcav
Hi Reginald,

Il 11/8/18 8:05 AM, Reginald ha scritto:
> Update
>
> I found out that the invalid download was caused by internal network
> filtering or blocking.
> Some of the applications that the installer downloads were allowed some were
> blocked.
> Do they come from other URL?

In the past some files (grass commands) were blocked because of the old
trick e.g. *.png.exe used to spread viruses.

All the best.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair: