OSGEO US National Chapter

Randal Hale
Greetings,

Thanks to a few successful events here in the US, (Especially Boston
FOSS4G 2017) several of us have been working toward formation of a US
OSGEO Chapter. We've talked to several people in and around the US and
multiple people involved in local chapters. I guess consider this a first
shout of "Hello OSGEO World".

Following the Guidelines [1] for Chapter formation we have a good start:

1. Self Organizing: Based on informal discussions with OSGeo members
online and at the FOSS4G conference there is a major interest in how to
support and build community across the nation. Technocation [2] is a
non-profit that can act as a formal home for the OSGeo.US chapter.

2. Mission Statement: OSGeo.US will cultivate and support local OSGeo
chapters and projects in the United States. OSGeo.US will also support
activities and events that build awareness of the OSGeo and create
opportunities to grow the OSGeo community.

I also realized in this email - we've yet to stick anything on the
wiki.osgeo.org site - we'll get that done shortly.

3. As for an official rep for the chapter: I was nominated by the group
to be the official Spokesperson for now. So I'll do what I can to answer
emails or drag someone else into the mix to answer them if I can't.

4. I'll be sending more information to the OSGEO Board - I
wanted to start a discussion now and see if there was any angst that I
or anyone else could address and if anyone else was interested in
helping push this along.

5. TBD Later

Anyway - Since I've not quit done anything like this before - Excuse
anything I've forgotten or not done properly in this first announcement.

Randy

[1] http://www2.osgeo.org/content/chapters/guidelines.html

[2] https://technocation.github.io/

--
Randal Hale
[hidden email]

--
Randal Hale
[hidden email]
https://www.northrivergeographic.com
(423)653-3611

Re: OSGEO US National Chapter

Marc Vloemans-3
Great initiative!

Kind regards,
Marc Vloemans

> Op 15 mrt. 2018 om 20:02 heeft Randal Hale <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>
> Greetings,
>
> Thanks to a few successful events here in the US, (Especially Boston
> FOSS4G 2017) several of us have been working toward formation of a US
> OSGEO Chapter. We've talked to several people in and around the US and
> multiple people involved in local chapters. I guess consider this a first
> shout of "Hello OSGEO World".
>
> Following the Guidelines [1] for Chapter formation we have a good start:
>
> 1. Self Organizing: Based on informal discussions with OSGeo members
> online and at the FOSS4G conference there is a major interest in how to
> support and build community across the nation. Technocation [2] is a
> non-profit that can act as a formal home for the OSGeo.US chapter.
>
> 2. Mission Statement: OSGeo.US will cultivate and support local OSGeo
> chapters and projects in the United States. OSGeo.US will also support
> activities and events that build awareness of the OSGeo and create
> opportunities to grow the OSGeo community.
>
> I also realized in this email - we've yet to stick anything on the
> wiki.osgeo.org site - we'll get that done shortly.
>
> 3. As for an official rep for the chapter: I was nominated by the group
> to be the official Spokesperson for now. So I'll do what I can to answer
> emails or drag someone else into the mix to answer them if I can't.
>
> 4. I'll be sending more information to the OSGEO Board - I
> wanted to start a discussion now and see if there was any angst that I
> or anyone else could address and if anyone else was interested in
> helping push this along.
>
> 5. TBD Later
>
> Anyway - Since I've not quit done anything like this before - Excuse
> anything I've forgotten or not done properly in this first announcement.
>
> Randy
>

> [1] http://www2.osgeo.org/content/chapters/guidelines.html
>
> [2] https://technocation.github.io/
>
> --
> Randal Hale
> [hidden email]
> https://www.northrivergeographic.com
> (423)653-3611
>

> --
> Randal Hale
> [hidden email]
> https://www.northrivergeographic.com
> (423)653-3611

Re: OSGEO US National Chapter

jody.garnett
Congrats, great to see this off the ground!

I think we already had some branding done up for Guid's presentation, if there is any other support you need please stop by the marketing committee and ask!

The marketing committee also has some booth material (banners, table cloth, handouts, ...) from Boston that was waiting on OSGeo.US to form. It is currently in St Louis waiting for foss4gna.

--
Jody Garnett

On 15 March 2018 at 12:02, Randal Hale <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Suchith Anand

Great to hear this . Thanks to all who are working for this.

Best wishes,

Suchith

[...]

attachment.

where permitted by law.

Re: OSGEO US National Chapter

Rob Emanuele
This is great! Looking forward to seeing this develop, and participating!

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 4:58 PM, Suchith Anand <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

A non-profit supporting education for IT professonals

--
Randal Hale
[hidden email]
https://www.northrivergeographic.com
NRGS is a GIS consulting company. We work with FOSS4G and ESRI tools. Our small size allows us to keep our solutions innovative and costs low.

--
Randal Hale
[hidden email]
https://www.northrivergeographic.com
NRGS is a GIS consulting company. We work with FOSS4G and ESRI tools. Our small size allows us to keep our solutions innovative and costs low.

Your email address: Your name (optional): You may enter a privacy password below. This provides only mild security, but should prevent others from messing ...

attachment.

where permitted by law.

Re: OSGEO US National Chapter

dirkf
Congratulations,

Dirk

On 15-03-18 20:06, Marc Vloemans wrote:

> Great initiative!
>
> Kind regards,
> Marc Vloemans
>

>> Op 15 mrt. 2018 om 20:02 heeft Randal Hale <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Thanks to a few successful events here in the US, (Especially Boston
>> FOSS4G 2017) several of us have been working toward formation of a US
>> OSGEO Chapter. We've talked to several people in and around the US and
>> multiple people involved in local chapters. I guess consider this a first
>> shout of "Hello OSGEO World".
>>
>> Following the Guidelines [1] for Chapter formation we have a good start:
>>
>> 1. Self Organizing: Based on informal discussions with OSGeo members
>> online and at the FOSS4G conference there is a major interest in how to
>> support and build community across the nation. Technocation [2] is a
>> non-profit that can act as a formal home for the OSGeo.US chapter.
>>
>> 2. Mission Statement: OSGeo.US will cultivate and support local OSGeo
>> chapters and projects in the United States. OSGeo.US will also support
>> activities and events that build awareness of the OSGeo and create
>> opportunities to grow the OSGeo community.
>>
>> I also realized in this email - we've yet to stick anything on the
>> wiki.osgeo.org site - we'll get that done shortly.
>>
>> 3. As for an official rep for the chapter: I was nominated by the group
>> to be the official Spokesperson for now. So I'll do what I can to answer
>> emails or drag someone else into the mix to answer them if I can't.
>>
>> 4. I'll be sending more information to the OSGEO Board - I
>> wanted to start a discussion now and see if there was any angst that I
>> or anyone else could address and if anyone else was interested in
>> helping push this along.
>>
>> 5. TBD Later
>>
>> Anyway - Since I've not quit done anything like this before - Excuse
>> anything I've forgotten or not done properly in this first announcement.
>>
>> Randy
>>

>> [1] http://www2.osgeo.org/content/chapters/guidelines.html
>>
>> [2] https://technocation.github.io/
>>
>> --
>> Randal Hale
>> [hidden email]
>> https://www.northrivergeographic.com
>> (423)653-3611
>>

>> --
>> Randal Hale
>> [hidden email]
>> https://www.northrivergeographic.com
>> (423)653-3611

Yours sincerely,

ir. Dirk Frigne
CEO @geosparc

Geosparc n.v.
Brugsesteenweg 587
B-9030 Ghent
Tel: +32 9 236 60 18
GSM: +32 495 508 799

http://www.geomajas.org
http://www.geosparc.com

@DFrigne
be.linkedin.com/in/frigne

Re: OSGEO US National Chapter

delawen

This is really good news!

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 8:02 PM, Randal Hale
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Thanks to a few successful events here in the US, (Especially Boston
> FOSS4G 2017) several of us have been working toward formation of a US
> OSGEO Chapter. We've talked to several people in and around the US and
> multiple people involved in local chapters. I guess consider this a first
> shout of "Hello OSGEO World".
>
> Following the Guidelines [1] for Chapter formation we have a good start:
>
> 1. Self Organizing: Based on informal discussions with OSGeo members
> online and at the FOSS4G conference there is a major interest in how to
> support and build community across the nation. Technocation [2] is a
> non-profit that can act as a formal home for the OSGeo.US chapter.
>
> 2. Mission Statement: OSGeo.US will cultivate and support local OSGeo
> chapters and projects in the United States. OSGeo.US will also support
> activities and events that build awareness of the OSGeo and create
> opportunities to grow the OSGeo community.
>
> I also realized in this email - we've yet to stick anything on the
> wiki.osgeo.org site - we'll get that done shortly.
>
> 3. As for an official rep for the chapter: I was nominated by the group
> to be the official Spokesperson for now. So I'll do what I can to answer
> emails or drag someone else into the mix to answer them if I can't.
>
> 4. I'll be sending more information to the OSGEO Board - I
> wanted to start a discussion now and see if there was any angst that I
> or anyone else could address and if anyone else was interested in
> helping push this along.
>
> 5. TBD Later
>
> Anyway - Since I've not quit done anything like this before - Excuse
> anything I've forgotten or not done properly in this first announcement.
>
> Randy
>

> [1] http://www2.osgeo.org/content/chapters/guidelines.html
>
> [2] https://technocation.github.io/
>
> --
> Randal Hale
> [hidden email]
> https://www.northrivergeographic.com
> (423)653-3611
>

> --
> Randal Hale
> [hidden email]
> https://www.northrivergeographic.com
> (423)653-3611

Re: OSGEO US National Chapter

Marc Vloemans-3
Way to go Randy et al !
Hope you guys can make a mark at FOSS4G NA in May.

Kind regards,
Marc Vloemans

> Op 21 mrt. 2018 om 09:37 heeft María Arias de Reyna <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>
> Hi,
>
> This is really good news!
>
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 8:02 PM, Randal Hale
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Thanks to a few successful events here in the US, (Especially Boston
>> FOSS4G 2017) several of us have been working toward formation of a US
>> OSGEO Chapter. We've talked to several people in and around the US and
>> multiple people involved in local chapters. I guess consider this a first
>> shout of "Hello OSGEO World".
>>
>> Following the Guidelines [1] for Chapter formation we have a good start:
>>
>> 1. Self Organizing: Based on informal discussions with OSGeo members
>> online and at the FOSS4G conference there is a major interest in how to
>> support and build community across the nation. Technocation [2] is a
>> non-profit that can act as a formal home for the OSGeo.US chapter.
>>
>> 2. Mission Statement: OSGeo.US will cultivate and support local OSGeo
>> chapters and projects in the United States. OSGeo.US will also support
>> activities and events that build awareness of the OSGeo and create
>> opportunities to grow the OSGeo community.
>>
>> I also realized in this email - we've yet to stick anything on the
>> wiki.osgeo.org site - we'll get that done shortly.
>>
>> 3. As for an official rep for the chapter: I was nominated by the group
>> to be the official Spokesperson for now. So I'll do what I can to answer
>> emails or drag someone else into the mix to answer them if I can't.
>>
>> 4. I'll be sending more information to the OSGEO Board - I
>> wanted to start a discussion now and see if there was any angst that I
>> or anyone else could address and if anyone else was interested in
>> helping push this along.
>>
>> 5. TBD Later
>>
>> Anyway - Since I've not quit done anything like this before - Excuse
>> anything I've forgotten or not done properly in this first announcement.
>>
>> Randy
>>

>> [1] http://www2.osgeo.org/content/chapters/guidelines.html
>>
>> [2] https://technocation.github.io/
>>
>> --
>> Randal Hale
>> [hidden email]
>> https://www.northrivergeographic.com
>> (423)653-3611
>>

>> --
>> Randal Hale
>> [hidden email]
>> https://www.northrivergeographic.com
>> (423)653-3611

Re: OSGEO US National Chapter

delawen
Hi Randal,

How is the chapter creation going? I see there is no page yet on the
osgeo.org webpage: https://www.osgeo.org/local-chapters/ Can you make
sure there is at least a draft page where the contact point and the
status of the chapter are reflected?

Also I see there are some local chapters in USA:
https://www.osgeo.org/local-chapters/twin-cities-mn-usa-chapter/
https://www.osgeo.org/local-chapters/pdxosgeo/
https://www.osgeo.org/local-chapters/california/

I understand you already reached all of them?

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Thanks to a few successful events here in the US, (Especially Boston
> FOSS4G 2017) several of us have been working toward formation of a US
> OSGEO Chapter. We've talked to several people in and around the US and
> multiple people involved in local chapters. I guess consider this a first
> shout of "Hello OSGEO World".
>
> Following the Guidelines [1] for Chapter formation we have a good start:
>
> 1. Self Organizing: Based on informal discussions with OSGeo members
> online and at the FOSS4G conference there is a major interest in how to
> support and build community across the nation. Technocation [2] is a
> non-profit that can act as a formal home for the OSGeo.US chapter.
>
> 2. Mission Statement: OSGeo.US will cultivate and support local OSGeo
> chapters and projects in the United States. OSGeo.US will also support
> activities and events that build awareness of the OSGeo and create
> opportunities to grow the OSGeo community.
>
> I also realized in this email - we've yet to stick anything on the
> wiki.osgeo.org site - we'll get that done shortly.
>
> 3. As for an official rep for the chapter: I was nominated by the group
> to be the official Spokesperson for now. So I'll do what I can to answer
> emails or drag someone else into the mix to answer them if I can't.
>
> 4. I'll be sending more information to the OSGEO Board - I
> wanted to start a discussion now and see if there was any angst that I
> or anyone else could address and if anyone else was interested in
> helping push this along.
>
> 5. TBD Later
>
> Anyway - Since I've not quit done anything like this before - Excuse
> anything I've forgotten or not done properly in this first announcement.
>
> Randy
>

> [1] http://www2.osgeo.org/content/chapters/guidelines.html
>
> [2] https://technocation.github.io/
>
> --
> Randal Hale
> [hidden email]
> https://www.northrivergeographic.com
> (423)653-3611
>

> --
> Randal Hale
> [hidden email]
> https://www.northrivergeographic.com
> (423)653-3611

Re: OSGEO US National Chapter

Randal Hale
Good Morning Maria,

It's going well - I'm just moving slow in my juggling.

My list has two things I need to accomplish today: OSGEO Page and Email
listserve.

Yes - in the months leading up to this we reached out to as many people
as we could - some on the Wiki and some not. I hoped this email earlier
to OSGEO Discuss would turn up anyone we forgot.

Hopefully today those things get accomplished and I can get things
moving again this week.

Thanks for checking on me - I need all the pushing I can get.

Randy