OGR provider 3.4, AutoCAD Map 2010 and ESRI personal geodatabase

OGR provider 3.4, AutoCAD Map 2010 and ESRI personal geodatabase

brianbassler
Greetings,

We have been experimenting with the OGR provider for AutoCAD Map 2010 and have found something we can't explain.  From ESRI ArcMap we export the same feature set as a shapefile, as a cad file and as a personal geodatabase.  Then in AutoCAD, we open the cad file, use the SHP provider to attach the shapefile and the OGR provider (v 3.4) to attach the personal geodatabase.  Theoretically, we should see 3 instances of each feature in one form or another  . . . right?

No.  When we attach to the personal geodatabase and add our feature to the map we get  get the message "failed to cache features" and "geometry is null".  In this particular test set, are 6 features which should have appeared but only 4 did.  The table data does include records for all 6.

The shapefile and cad file show the features as they should.

Any ideas what causes the two error messages and two features to be missing?

Thanks,

Brian

[...]

Brian C. Bassler
MIDLANT GeoReadiness Center
9742 Maryland Ave, Bldg Z-140, Rm 103
Norfolk, VA 23511
Ph: (757) 341-0277
Email: [hidden email]

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment

RE: OGR provider 3.4, AutoCAD Map 2010 and ESRI personal geodatabase

Traian Stanev

Hi,

It means that there is likely a feature with a null geometry value in the table or with a geometry that is not supported by the OGR/PGDB provider (3D, arcs, etc). In such cases the OGR provider throws an FDO exception with the message "Geometry is null.". It seems like Map cancels caching of the remainder of the layer once it encounters that.

The way to check if indeed there is such null geometry would be to bring up the data table for the SHP layer and see if there are really 6 features or there are more with some null geometry.

Traian

RE: OGR provider 3.4, AutoCAD Map 2010 and ESRI personal geodatabase

brianbassler
Hi Traian,

Thanks for the reponse.  Its possible that the data contains arcs, I'll have to dig a little deeper on the ESRI side.  Looking at the data table, both though Acad and through Excel looking at the dbf file, I can't see which fields(s) could be used to ID geometry type.  The last two fields are SHAPE_AREA and SHAPE_LEN and are populated, there is a COORD_Z which are all 0.0.

Thanks for your help,

Brian

RE: OGR provider 3.4, AutoCAD Map 2010 and ESRI personal geodatabase

Crispin_at_Linknode
I'd recommend looking at an FDO 3.4 compatible version of FDOToolbox that will give you the "simplest" interface to the data tables and geometry in WKT readable format

follow up - OGR provider 3.4, AutoCAD Map 2010 and ESRI personal geodatabase

brianbassler
Thanks for all the response.  We did indeed find that our problems were due to arcs in the ESRI personal geodatabases.  We haven't decided  how to proceed but we are leaning to something along the lines of programmatically generalizing the arcs from within ArcMap before creating the geodatabases.