Noto fonts on Ubuntu

Eugene Podshivalov
Hi all,
I'm trying to use Noto fonts for labels on Ubuntu to cover world wide languages.
The "fonts-noto" package is installed, they are listed on the Geoserver availabel fonts page and "font-family: NotoSans" parameter is defined for text symbolizers.
But chinese charactures are still rendered as squares similar to the preview of language specific Noto fonts in the admin panel:
image.png

Important to note that I have the same geoserver configuration on a Windows 10 machine and it renders chinese charactures with NotoSans font correctly there.

I've tried to remove the "font-noto" package and install the ones I have on Windows manually but that did not change anything.

Any ideas please?

Regards,
Eugene