Note to Package Maintainers

Regina Obe
The PostGIS PSC would like to setup a list of package maintainers we'd use
primarily for release preannouncements where we deem necessary.
This list can take one of two forms, but not sure which people would be most
comfortable with:

1) A specific mailing list for PostGIS Packagers

and / Or

2) Just a list of package maintainer that we continually update as part of
our repo (with email address if folks are okay with that or link for
follow-up) and that would be included as part of source repo.
This in part would provide credit to package maintainers and also provide us
with our pre-announce go to list.

We would also like to update this page:

http://postgis.net/install/

To include all PostGIS packagers that people use as well as link to their
bug tracker if any.

Any thoughts on above or updates to the page you'd like to provide us?

Thanks,
Regina Obe
PostGIS PSC Member
http://postgis.net

Re: Note to Package Maintainers

Sebastiaan Couwenberg
On 10/06/2016 03:32 PM, Regina Obe wrote:
> The PostGIS PSC would like to setup a list of package maintainers we'd use
> primarily for release preannouncements where we deem necessary.
> This list can take one of two forms, but not sure which people would be most
> comfortable with:
>
> 1) A specific mailing list for PostGIS Packagers

A separate list is probably overkill, but it is quite convenient to
contact several people with a single email, and allows the packager to
unsubscribe when no longer active with postgis packaging.

> 2) Just a list of package maintainer that we continually update as part of
> our repo (with email address if folks are okay with that or link for
> follow-up) and that would be included as part of source repo.
> This in part would provide credit to package maintainers and also provide us
> with our pre-announce go to list.

This will likely get outdated quickly, and doesn't allow the packager to
remove him/herself easily when no longer involved.

> We would also like to update this page:
>
> http://postgis.net/install/
>
> To include all PostGIS packagers that people use as well as link to their
> bug tracker if any.
>
> Any thoughts on above or updates to the page you'd like to provide us?

As a packager I have no need for separate calls for packaging as e.g.
the GRASS project does. I'm subscribed to the development mailinglist,
and have tooling to monitor for new upstream releases.

I'm not a fan of separate test releases as was done for 2.3.0 because
the tarball needed to be downloaded from a different location which
requires modification of the upstream version tracking which also
downloads the release tarballs. The final release candidate should be in
releasable state, renaming it to remove the RC suffix should suffice to
turn it into the final release.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1
Fingerprint: 8182 DE41 7056 408D 6146  50D1 6750 F10A E88D 4AF1

Re: Note to Package Maintainers

Aaron W. Swenson
On 2016-10-06 15:54, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:

> On 10/06/2016 03:32 PM, Regina Obe wrote:
> > The PostGIS PSC would like to setup a list of package maintainers we'd use
> > primarily for release preannouncements where we deem necessary.
> > This list can take one of two forms, but not sure which people would be most
> > comfortable with:
> >
> > 1) A specific mailing list for PostGIS Packagers
>
> A separate list is probably overkill, but it is quite convenient to
> contact several people with a single email, and allows the packager to
> unsubscribe when no longer active with postgis packaging.
I like this. This is similar to PgSQL’s packagers list.

> > 2) Just a list of package maintainer that we continually update as part of
> > our repo (with email address if folks are okay with that or link for
> > follow-up) and that would be included as part of source repo.
> > This in part would provide credit to package maintainers and also provide us
> > with our pre-announce go to list.
>
> This will likely get outdated quickly, and doesn't allow the packager to
> remove him/herself easily when no longer involved.
>
> > We would also like to update this page:
> >
> > http://postgis.net/install/
> >
> > To include all PostGIS packagers that people use as well as link to their
> > bug tracker if any.
> >
> > Any thoughts on above or updates to the page you'd like to provide us?
>
> As a packager I have no need for separate calls for packaging as e.g.
> the GRASS project does. I'm subscribed to the development mailinglist,
> and have tooling to monitor for new upstream releases.
>
> I'm not a fan of separate test releases as was done for 2.3.0 because
> the tarball needed to be downloaded from a different location which
> requires modification of the upstream version tracking which also
> downloads the release tarballs. The final release candidate should be in
> releasable state, renaming it to remove the RC suffix should suffice to
> turn it into the final release.
Typically something like this is beneficial for organizing security
related releases so that as many people/distros as possible will already
have an update available to upload in their respective repos in sync
with the security announcement.

Re: Note to Package Maintainers

Devrim GÜNDÜZ-2

On Thu, 2016-10-06 at 09:32 -0400, Regina Obe wrote:

> The PostGIS PSC would like to setup a list of package maintainers we'd use
> primarily for release preannouncements where we deem necessary.
> This list can take one of two forms, but not sure which people would be most
> comfortable with:
>
> 1) A specific mailing list for PostGIS Packagers
>
> and / Or
>
> 2) Just a list of package maintainer that we continually update as part of
> our repo (with email address if folks are okay with that or link for
> follow-up) and that would be included as part of source repo.
> This in part would provide credit to package maintainers and also provide us
> with our pre-announce go to list.
>
> We would also like to update this page:
>
> http://postgis.net/install/
>
> To include all PostGIS packagers that people use as well as link to their
> bug tracker if any.
>
> Any thoughts on above or updates to the page you'd like to provide us?
Both works for me.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: Note to Package Maintainers

Rader, David

The PostGIS PSC would like to setup a list of package maintainers we'd use
primarily for release preannouncements where we deem necessary.
This list can take one of two forms, but not sure which people would be most
comfortable with:

1) A specific mailing list for PostGIS Packagers

We (OpenSCG/BigSQL distribution) would like the packagers list.

We would also like to update this page:

http://postgis.net/install/

To include all PostGIS packagers that people use as well as link to their
bug tracker if any.

Any thoughts on above or updates to the page you'd like to provide us?

We would like to add the BigSQL distribution to the install page as well - we provide an easy install path for Windows, OS X, and Windows users. We have been supporting PostGIS through this distribution since the beginning of the year - the instructions are here:

Please let us know what other info you would need to be able to add this stable version to the install page?

Thanks
Dave

Thanks,
Regina Obe
PostGIS PSC Member
http://postgis.net

David Rader

Re: Note to Package Maintainers

Regina Obe

David,

Done.

Added here –

http://postgis.net/install/  (at bottom. Also added EDB since that was missing)

Couple of observations installing the BigSQL 9.6 windows 64-bit

1)      I got PostGIS 2.3.0rc1 instead of the released PostGIS 2.3.0.

2)      It would be really neat if you distributed ogr_fdw as well, which should be fairly trivial compile since you are packaging GDAL and it's so useful for spatial ETL stuff - https://github.com/pramsey/pgsql-ogr-fdw

Which gets me to my next couple of points

I mentioned BigSQL here:

http://postgis.net/windows_downloads/

Ideally I would like to provide details of how people can add PostGIS related components missing in BigSQL windows distribution to theirs or try out some interim builds of things,

so that this page isn't so EDB weighted.

Not sure if that would be kosher with you folks or not.  The optimal goal being that we are completely compatible and our components are swappable.

I think they are for the most part now, except for the SFCGAL/ogr_fdw can't just be swapped in without completely replacing your PostGIS since our GDALs are compiled with different features and your

PostGIS isn't compiled with SFCGAL support.

For the most part for example, the pgRouting on that page installs fine on the BigSQL distribution if I pay careful attention to the difference in path locations you have vs. the EDB distribution.

I think I had tried PostGIS too and was able to swap out yours with the one I compiled that includes SFCGAL support last I tried with your PostgreSQL 9.6beta

I'm currently using mingw64 gcc 4.8.3 but still planning to upgrade to the gcc 4.9.2 that you guys use for building, so our versions should be even more compatible in the future.

Thanks,

Regina

Re: Note to Package Maintainers

Rader, David
Hi Regina,
Thank you and thank you for the suggestions. We pushed 2.3.0 yesterday and will be looking in to the other items. I agree, ogr_fdw should be pretty easy. The idea of making our distribution more compatible with the standard PostGIS options makes sense.

One area we know we need is more docs on building extensions under mingw64 so that it's easier for users to add their own. This should help PostGIS users as well as general developers.

Thanks
Dave