Next steps ... merging edited documents

Johanna Botman

Hi,

Can someone give me a step by step of how I submit my edited Quick Start document?

I have looked at the Getting Started guide in Github, but it describes setting up my own project. I need to know how to contribute to a project.

I have created a version of the documents in my virtual machine. I can’t see how that links back to Git Hub. Can someone assist?

Johanna

Re: Next steps ... merging edited documents

Nicolas Roelandt
Hi Johanna,

Thanks for helping the OSGeoLive project !

You need to make a pull request against the OSGeoLive repo on Github.
Are you familiar with git ?

If not this might help you:
You can also find videos on youtube that will explain all the steps (this one is short but you can find longer easily): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ALeswWzpBo

Please note that you'll need a GitHub account to clone the OSGeoLive repository.
Actually, we have two repos:
- One for the code to build the ISO: https://github.com/OSGeo/OSGeoLive
- One for the documentation: https://github.com/OSGeo/OSGeoLive-doc

Simple steps are:
- Create a GH account if you does not have one
- clone the OSGeoLive-doc repo on GH
- install git on your computer if you don't have it already installed (and eventually a git client with a GUI )
- clone you GH copy of OSGeoLive-doc on your computer
- Create a new branch
- Make your changes in the files
- commit your changes
- push your commits to your GH repo
- from the GH interface make a pull request (PR) to the main OSGeoLive-doc repo (GH should propose to do so)

And you are done.

I hope that will be help you.

Best,

Nicolas

Le dim. 2 déc. 2018 à 08:03, Johanna Botman <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Hi,

Can someone give me a step by step of how I submit my edited Quick Start document?

I have looked at the Getting Started guide in Github, but it describes setting up my own project. I need to know how to contribute to a project.

I have created a version of the documents in my virtual machine. I can’t see how that links back to Git Hub. Can someone assist?

Johanna

Bien cordialement,

Nicolas Roelandt
mail: [hidden email]
mobile: +33 (0)6 42 40 42 55
twitter: @RoelandtN42

Re: Next steps ... merging edited documents

Angelos Tzotsos

The process looks like this:

1. You create an account on GitHub
2. You go to the project you want to work on:
https://github.com/OSGeo/OSGeoLive-doc
3. You press the "Fork" button so to get a clone of the project on your account.
4. GitHub redirects you to your cloned project:
https://github.com/kalxas/OSGeoLive-doc
5. You open a terminal on your local machine and copy the code locally (use your account name where kalxas is):
$ git clone [hidden email]
6. Move within your working folder:
$ cd  OSGeoLive-doc
7. Create a new working branch:
$ git checkout -b work-1
8. Do your edits to the files you want. In your case you can just copy the file you already have edited and replace the previous copy of that file.
9. See the changes before you commit them to git. Use the following commands to see your status:
$ git diff
$ git status
10. Lets assume you edited README.rst. git status will show you that file as changed. You need to tell git that you want to commit this file in the next step
$ git add README.rst
11. You can go back to step 8 and continue working or just do this commit with this one file
$ git commit -m "Commit message here"
12. Once you have committed the change git status will show clean status now. You can now push your working branch to your GitHub account with
$ git push origin work-1
13. Now you need to go back to the web interface at https://github.com/kalxas/OSGeoLive-doc, navigate to the "work-1" branch and press the button that says "New Pull Request".
14. Wait until your pull request gets commented, perhaps changes will be asked to be made and finally it will get accepted.
15. Back to the terminal you can get code changes from others by going back to "master" branch and getting code from the main repository (https://github.com/OSGeo/OSGeoLive-doc.git).
$ git checkout master
$ git remote add upstream https://github.com/OSGeo/OSGeoLive-doc.git
$ git pull upstream master

Hope this mini tutorial helps,
Angelos

On 12/2/18 9:03 AM, Johanna Botman wrote:
Hi,

Can someone give me a step by step of how I submit my edited Quick Start
document?

I have looked at the Getting Started guide in Github, but it describes
setting up my own project. I need to know how to contribute to a project.

I have created a version of the documents in my virtual machine. I can't see
how that links back to Git Hub. Can someone assist?

Johanna

Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
Charter Member
Open Source Geospatial Foundation