News feed

12

News feed

pcav
Hi all,
AFAIK we don't have a clear policy about the news feed. I propose to
accept only:
1. global Contributors Meetings announcements (not local ones)
2. global QGIS Days (not local ones)
3. requests for sponsorship
4. crowdfunding announcements
To be included, each 3 and 4 entry have to be accepted by the majority
of PSC
After a first period (6 months), according to user feedback, we can
re-evaluate these guidelines.
Opinions?
Cheers.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: News feed

Tim Sutton-6
Hi

I would include user survey announcements in this list - it was one of the key reasons we introduced the feed. We want to get to know our user base, what their concerns are and usage habits are. Inviting them to join opt-in surveys and sharing project news through the feed are a good way to achieve that.

I disagree a bit on 1 and 2 - Ale introduced a geofencing capability for the news feed so for example Australian User Group meeting can be shown to just people in Australia. Posts can also be language specific. I think we should accept any local announcement post after PSC approval and keep the rule as simple as that?

We had also agreed that we don’t want to include general planet.qgis.org feed in there, but rather use the platform to share what goes into our blog and other moderated content.

PS. Sponsorships are dead, long live sustaining members :-)

Regards

Tim

On 30 Oct 2019, at 06:14, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,
AFAIK we don't have a clear policy about the news feed. I propose to
accept only:
1. global Contributors Meetings announcements (not local ones)
2. global QGIS Days (not local ones)
3. requests for sponsorship
4. crowdfunding announcements
To be included, each 3 and 4 entry have to be accepted by the majority
of PSC
After a first period (6 months), according to user feedback, we can
re-evaluate these guidelines.
Opinions?
Cheers.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Tim Sutton

Co-founder: Kartoza
Ex Project chair: QGIS.org

Desktop GIS programming services
Geospatial web development
GIS Training
Consulting Services

Skype: timlinux
IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

I'd love to connect. Here's my calendar link to make finding time easy.

Re: News feed

pcav
Hi Tim,
thanks for the fast response

Il 30/10/19 07:33, Tim Sutton ha scritto:

> I would include user survey announcements in this list

agreed, thanks for the suggestion

> I disagree a bit on 1 and 2 - Ale introduced a geofencing capability for
> the news feed so for example Australian User Group meeting can be shown
> to just people in Australia. Posts can also be language specific. I
> think we should accept any local announcement post after PSC approval
> and keep the rule as simple as that?

if we can target specific groups of users, then I fully agree with
adding local content

> We had also agreed that we don’t want to include general planet.qgis.org
> <http://planet.qgis.org> feed in there, but rather use the platform to
> share what goes into our blog and other moderated content.

ok

> PS. Sponsorships are dead, long live sustaining members :-)

Sustaining membership should not routinely advertised, I think (I
imagine a user would get bored by seeing this). I meant soliciting
sponsorship for specific purposes, similar to crowdfunding.

Cheers.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: News feed

Matthias Kuhn 🌍
Hi,

What about release announcements?

Matthias

On 10/30/19 7:42 AM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:

> Hi Tim,
> thanks for the fast response
>
> Il 30/10/19 07:33, Tim Sutton ha scritto:
>
>> I would include user survey announcements in this list
> agreed, thanks for the suggestion
>
>> I disagree a bit on 1 and 2 - Ale introduced a geofencing capability for
>> the news feed so for example Australian User Group meeting can be shown
>> to just people in Australia. Posts can also be language specific. I
>> think we should accept any local announcement post after PSC approval
>> and keep the rule as simple as that?
> if we can target specific groups of users, then I fully agree with
> adding local content
>
>> We had also agreed that we don’t want to include general planet.qgis.org
>> <http://planet.qgis.org> feed in there, but rather use the platform to
>> share what goes into our blog and other moderated content.
> ok
>
>> PS. Sponsorships are dead, long live sustaining members :-)
> Sustaining membership should not routinely advertised, I think (I
> imagine a user would get bored by seeing this). I meant soliciting
> sponsorship for specific purposes, similar to crowdfunding.
>
> Cheers.
>
>>> On 30 Oct 2019, at 06:14, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]
>>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> AFAIK we don't have a clear policy about the news feed. I propose to
>>> accept only:
>>> 1. global Contributors Meetings announcements (not local ones)
>>> 2. global QGIS Days (not local ones)
>>> 3. requests for sponsorship
>>> 4. crowdfunding announcements
>>> To be included, each 3 and 4 entry have to be accepted by the majority
>>> of PSC
>>> After a first period (6 months), according to user feedback, we can
>>> re-evaluate these guidelines.
>>> Opinions?
>>> Cheers.
>>> --
>>> Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu <http://www.faunalia.eu>
>>> QGIS.ORG <http://QGIS.ORG> Chair:
>>> http://planet.qgis.org/planet/user/28/tag/qgis%20board/
>> —
>>

>> *Tim Sutton*
>>
>> *Co-founder:* Kartoza
>> *Ex Project chair:* QGIS.org <http://QGIS.org>
>>
>> Visit http://kartoza.com <http://kartoza.com/> to find out about open
>> source:
>>
>> Desktop GIS programming services
>> Geospatial web development
>> GIS Training
>> Consulting Services
>>
>> *Skype*: timlinux
>> *IRC:* timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net <http://freenode.net>
>>
>> I'd love to connect. Here's my calendar link
>> <https://calendly.com/timlinux> to make finding time easy.

Re: News feed

Andreas Neumann-4

Let's be open-minded about it and discuss these entries as they appear.

There are currently only a couple of people (Tim, Anita, Nyall, Régis,
Rohmat and me (maybe 2-3 more (Marco?))) who have currently write such
entries. I trust that these people have a good sense of what is
appropriate. If unsure, one can discuss it on the PSC list.

BTW: we have soon a meeting in Zurich from Sourcepole on Postgis3 and
QGIS 3.10 in mid November. I will try the Geofence thing therefore -
bear with me if you are unexpectedly bothered by it (if your provider
claims to be in Switzerland).

I think we need to collect some experience with the system now and then
over time re-adjust such rules.

Andreas

Am 30.10.19 um 07:14 schrieb Paolo Cavallini:

> Hi all,
> AFAIK we don't have a clear policy about the news feed. I propose to
> accept only:
> 1. global Contributors Meetings announcements (not local ones)
> 2. global QGIS Days (not local ones)
> 3. requests for sponsorship
> 4. crowdfunding announcements
> To be included, each 3 and 4 entry have to be accepted by the majority
> of PSC
> After a first period (6 months), according to user feedback, we can
> re-evaluate these guidelines.
> Opinions?
> Cheers.

Re: News feed

pcav
Hi Andreas,

Il 30/10/19 08:28, Andreas Neumann ha scritto:
> Hi all,
>
> Let's be open-minded about it and discuss these entries as they appear.
>
> There are currently only a couple of people (Tim, Anita, Nyall, Régis,
> Rohmat and me (maybe 2-3 more (Marco?))) who have currently write such
> entries. I trust that these people have a good sense of what is
> appropriate. If unsure, one can discuss it on the PSC list.

of course, we'll be open to changes when appropriate. however, I think
it is better to state clearly from the beginning what is acceptable and
what not, and what is the procedure to get a feed approved, in order not
to raise undue expectations.

> BTW: we have soon a meeting in Zurich from Sourcepole on Postgis3 and
> QGIS 3.10 in mid November. I will try the Geofence thing therefore -
> bear with me if you are unexpectedly bothered by it (if your provider
> claims to be in Switzerland).
>
> I think we need to collect some experience with the system now and then
> over time re-adjust such rules.

good news, thanks

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: News feed

pcav
Thanks Matthias for the suggestion.
Don't we have a small banner advertising when a new version is available?

On 30 Oct 2019, at 08:07, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks Matthias for the suggestion.
Don't we have a small banner advertising when a new version is available?

Yes but we could be pointing readers to the changelog and hyping the release so that we get people informed about what new features each release brings.

Regards

Tim

<[hidden email]>> wrote:

[...]

---

Tim Sutton

Re: News feed

pcav

Il 30/10/19 11:14, Tim Sutton ha scritto:

> Hi
>
>> On 30 Oct 2019, at 08:07, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Matthias for the suggestion.
>> Don't we have a small banner advertising when a new version is available?
>
> Yes but we could be pointing readers to the changelog and hyping the
> release so that we get people informed about what new features each
> release brings.

it makes sense to me. in this case I'd remove the banner, not to annoy
users.
cheers.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: News feed

Nyall Dawson
On Wed, 30 Oct 2019 at 16:14, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
> AFAIK we don't have a clear policy about the news feed. I propose to
> accept only:
> 1. global Contributors Meetings announcements (not local ones)
> 2. global QGIS Days (not local ones)
> 3. requests for sponsorship
> 4. crowdfunding announcements

what about:

5. callouts for testing of upcoming qgis releases
6. new release announcements when changelog is published

and, maybe more controversial

7. occasional tips and tricks articles?

On Wed, 30 Oct 2019 at 16:33, Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I would include user survey announcements in this list - it was one of the key reasons we introduced the feed. We want to get to know our user base, what their concerns are and usage habits are. Inviting them to join opt-in surveys and sharing project news through the feed are a good way to achieve that.
>

> I disagree a bit on 1 and 2 - Ale introduced a geofencing capability for the news feed so for example Australian User Group meeting can be shown to just people in Australia. Posts can also be language specific. I think we should accept any local announcement post after PSC approval and keep the rule as simple as that?

It's not that simple. The backend has support for geofencing, but we
currently don't have any way to geolocate users to take advantage of
this (aside from manually setting a qsetting value to your location).
So we'd first need a way to locate users... which would be
super-useful anyway, e.g. to allow project templates shipped with QGIS
to open by default somewhere close to the user's location...

Nyall

> We had also agreed that we don’t want to include general planet.qgis.org feed in there, but rather use the platform to share what goes into our blog and other moderated content.
>

> PS. Sponsorships are dead, long live sustaining members :-)
>

> Regards
>
> Tim
>
> On 30 Oct 2019, at 06:14, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> AFAIK we don't have a clear policy about the news feed. I propose to
> accept only:
> 1. global Contributors Meetings announcements (not local ones)
> 2. global QGIS Days (not local ones)
> 3. requests for sponsorship
> 4. crowdfunding announcements
> To be included, each 3 and 4 entry have to be accepted by the majority
> of PSC
> After a first period (6 months), according to user feedback, we can
> re-evaluate these guidelines.
> Opinions?
> Cheers.
> --
> Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
> QGIS.ORG Chair:
> http://planet.qgis.org/planet/user/28/tag/qgis%20board/
>

> —
>

> Tim Sutton
>
> Co-founder: Kartoza
> Ex Project chair: QGIS.org
>
> Visit http://kartoza.com to find out about open source:
>
> Desktop GIS programming services
> Geospatial web development
> GIS Training
> Consulting Services
>
> Skype: timlinux
> IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net
>
> I'd love to connect. Here's my calendar link to make finding time easy.

Re: News feed

Andreas Neumann-3
Hi,

Does that mean that despite my adding of geofencing around Switzerland, now everybody sees my german news item about the Postgis day in Zurich?

Theoretically, I could use the language filter, but the language filter is not so desirable in my opinion, because I know an awful lot of QGIS users in Switzerland who have set the language to english - just because they know english well and all of them wouldn't see the news item if they switched to english.

Thanks and greetings,
Andreas

On Thu, 31 Oct 2019 at 06:30, Nyall Dawson <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, 30 Oct 2019 at 16:33, Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I would include user survey announcements in this list - it was one of the key reasons we introduced the feed. We want to get to know our user base, what their concerns are and usage habits are. Inviting them to join opt-in surveys and sharing project news through the feed are a good way to achieve that.
>

> I disagree a bit on 1 and 2 - Ale introduced a geofencing capability for the news feed so for example Australian User Group meeting can be shown to just people in Australia. Posts can also be language specific. I think we should accept any local announcement post after PSC approval and keep the rule as simple as that?

It's not that simple. The backend has support for geofencing, but we
currently don't have any way to geolocate users to take advantage of
this (aside from manually setting a qsetting value to your location).
So we'd first need a way to locate users... which would be
super-useful anyway, e.g. to allow project templates shipped with QGIS
to open by default somewhere close to the user's location...

Nyall

> We had also agreed that we don’t want to include general planet.qgis.org feed in there, but rather use the platform to share what goes into our blog and other moderated content.
>

> PS. Sponsorships are dead, long live sustaining members :-)
>

> Regards
>
> Tim
>
> On 30 Oct 2019, at 06:14, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> AFAIK we don't have a clear policy about the news feed. I propose to
> accept only:
> 1. global Contributors Meetings announcements (not local ones)
> 2. global QGIS Days (not local ones)
> 3. requests for sponsorship
> 4. crowdfunding announcements
> To be included, each 3 and 4 entry have to be accepted by the majority
> of PSC
> After a first period (6 months), according to user feedback, we can
> re-evaluate these guidelines.
> Opinions?
> Cheers.
> --
> Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
> QGIS.ORG Chair:
> http://planet.qgis.org/planet/user/28/tag/qgis%20board/
>

> —
>

> Tim Sutton
>
> Co-founder: Kartoza
> Ex Project chair: QGIS.org
>
> Visit http://kartoza.com to find out about open source:
>
> Desktop GIS programming services
> Geospatial web development
> GIS Training
> Consulting Services
>
> Skype: timlinux
> IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net
>
> I'd love to connect. Here's my calendar link to make finding time easy.

Andreas Neumann
QGIS.ORG board member (treasurer)

Re: News feed

pcav

Il 31/10/19 06:28, Nyall Dawson ha scritto:

> On Wed, 30 Oct 2019 at 16:14, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>> AFAIK we don't have a clear policy about the news feed. I propose to
>> accept only:
>> 1. global Contributors Meetings announcements (not local ones)
>> 2. global QGIS Days (not local ones)
>> 3. requests for sponsorship
>> 4. crowdfunding announcements
>
> what about:
>
> 5. callouts for testing of upcoming qgis releases

+1

> 6. new release announcements when changelog is published

+1, at the same time removing the small banner advertising when a new
version is available

> and, maybe more controversial
>
> 7. occasional tips and tricks articles?

I see your point, and I agree it can be controversial. Let's skip it for
now, and add it later if appropriate, when we'll have feedback from users.
Cheers.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: News feed

pcav
So to summarize:
1. global Contributors Meetings announcements (local ones only if geofenced)
2. global QGIS Days (local ones only if geofenced)
3. requests for sponsorship of specific projects
4. crowdfunding announcements
5. callouts for testing of upcoming qgis releases
6. new release announcements when changelog is published (after we get
rid of the small banner)
7. survey announcements.
Anything to add?
Cheers.

On 10/31/19 9:31 AM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Il 31/10/19 06:28, Nyall Dawson ha scritto:
>> On Wed, 30 Oct 2019 at 16:14, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> AFAIK we don't have a clear policy about the news feed. I propose to
>>> accept only:
>>> 1. global Contributors Meetings announcements (not local ones)
>>> 2. global QGIS Days (not local ones)
>>> 3. requests for sponsorship
>>> 4. crowdfunding announcements
>> what about:
>>
>> 5. callouts for testing of upcoming qgis releases
> +1
>
>> 6. new release announcements when changelog is published
> +1, at the same time removing the small banner advertising when a new
> version is available

I think these are two distinct things, the banner is conditional (did
you know there's an update which you have not installed yet?) the banner
is an announcement (and also visible if you already updated).

>> and, maybe more controversial
>>
>> 7. occasional tips and tricks articles?
> I see your point, and I agree it can be controversial. Let's skip it for
> now, and add it later if appropriate, when we'll have feedback from users.

One point I like about this is that it adds some easy to digest and
interesting points for the users. Compared to the otherwise often "we
want something from you" (crowdfunding, testing, ...) topics.

This will probably make the news panel more likeable for users.

No hurry though, just a thought.

Matthias

> Cheers.

Re: News feed

pcav
Hi Matthias,

Il 31/10/19 09:49, Matthias Kuhn ha scritto:

>>> 6. new release announcements when changelog is published
>> +1, at the same time removing the small banner advertising when a new
>> version is available
>
> I think these are two distinct things, the banner is conditional (did
> you know there's an update which you have not installed yet?) the banner
> is an announcement (and also visible if you already updated).

right, after all the additional noise is not huge, although I still
think the banner is of limited value once we have the news

> One point I like about this is that it adds some easy to digest and
> interesting points for the users. Compared to the otherwise often "we
> want something from you" (crowdfunding, testing, ...) topics.
>
> This will probably make the news panel more likeable for users.
agreed, but given the huge amount of tips&tricks available on the net,
selecting which ones to show could be difficult, and leave some
discontent around.
as you said, no hurry, let's keep it for the next step.

Thanks for your thoughts.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: News feed

Marco Bernasocchi-2

Hi Andreas, it looks like it is like you say. I tried by using some vpns and by changing the system location and I always see the german announce.

We should probably take it down for now to avoid people getting the feeling the news are irelewant toi them

Cheers Marco

On 31.10.19 08:29, Andreas Neumann wrote:
> [...]

> of PSC
> After a first period (6 months), according to user feedback, we can
> re-evaluate these guidelines.
> Opinions?
> Cheers.
> --
> Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
> QGIS.ORG Chair:
> http://planet.qgis.org/planet/user/28/tag/qgis%20board/
>

> —
>

> Tim Sutton
>
> Co-founder: Kartoza
> Ex Project chair: QGIS.org
>
> Visit http://kartoza.com to find out about open source:
>
> Desktop GIS programming services
> Geospatial web development
> GIS Training
> Consulting Services
>
> Skype: timlinux
> IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net
>
> I'd love to connect. Here's my calendar link to make finding time easy.

Marco Bernasocchi

QGIS.org Co-chair
http://berna.io

Re: News feed

Andreas Neumann-3
Hi Marco,

I wouldn't take it down. Let's show users some activity (it will disappear anyway in 2 weeks when the event is gone). They can easily ignore it, if they are not interested.

Meanwhile: let's try to implement a way to get access to the user location (coordinate or country). The server seems ready for geofencing, but QGIS as a client not.

What I don't understand: the QGIS news panel is technically a web-browser - right? A web-browser send and IP and an IP can be geolocalized by some external services (with some uncertainty of course). Something along the lines of https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.10/ref/contrib/gis/geoip/ - Would this be possible?

Andreas

On 10/31/19 11:05 AM, Andreas Neumann wrote:
Hi Marco,

I wouldn't take it down. Let's show users some activity (it will disappear anyway in 2 weeks when the event is gone). They can easily ignore it, if they are not interested.

I would feel irritated if some software would show me news in Finnish. But I'll leave that to the PSC.

Meanwhile: let's try to implement a way to get access to the user location (coordinate or country). The server seems ready for geofencing, but QGIS as a client not.

What I don't understand: the QGIS news panel is technically a web-browser - right? A web-browser send and IP and an IP can be geolocalized by some external services (with some uncertainty of course). Something along the lines of https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.10/ref/contrib/gis/geoip/ - Would this be possible?

Not even necessarily an external service only, there is also https://dev.maxmind.com/geoip/geoip2/geolite2/ , a local database which can be used to map ips to locations. This could be done server side only, whenever the client doesn't send a specific location.

Regarding dismiss/updating of entries, I currently see two different entries, one seems to be cached from an older release. Do we have a possibility to force-delete the first one from clients that already downloaded it? Or instead of deleting and recreating an entry if it contains wrong information to force-update an existing one?

Matthias

Il 31/10/19 11:14, Matthias Kuhn ha scritto:

> I would feel irritated if some software would show me news in Finnish.
> But I'll leave that to the PSC.

nothing wrong with our Finnnish friends, but I believe most users will
share your feeling.

Cheers.