Newbie questions: importing atmospheric data for world overlay

Newbie questions: importing atmospheric data for world overlay

Chris-484
I'm a total newbie to GIS in general and QGIS in particular. The
omnipresent jargon in the User Guide is scary, and the learning curve is
steep for me. Just opening/importing a text data file is not even a
standard feature! (I use OSX 10.4.10.)
My task is to overlay a color-coded gridded map of atmospheric satellite
data on a flat, 2D, lat x long contour of continents. This is the kind
of standard stuff for NASA or NOAA people, although they probably do it
in IDL. The data is in text format, at 0.5deg intervals in both lat and
long.
How should I proceed to import it correctly and have the data pixels
color-coded?
Where can I get files of continent contours in flat lat x long projection?

Thanks for any help!

Re: Newbie questions: importing atmospheric data for world overlay

Tim Sutton
Hi

Look in the plugins menu or QGIS, there is a delimited text importer:

Plugins -> Delimited Text -> Add Delimited Text Layer

Once you have imported your data you may want to right click on its
legend entry and save it out as a shape file (commonly use GIS format)
for easier loading in future (you can then load itt using the 'Add
Vector Layer' icon).

For some free country boundary data you can look here:

http://www.cipotato.org/diva/data/MoreData.htm

Best regards

Tim

2007/11/22, Chris <[hidden email]>:

> I'm a total newbie to GIS in general and QGIS in particular. The
> omnipresent jargon in the User Guide is scary, and the learning curve is
> steep for me. Just opening/importing a text data file is not even a
> standard feature! (I use OSX 10.4.10.)
> My task is to overlay a color-coded gridded map of atmospheric satellite
> data on a flat, 2D, lat x long contour of continents. This is the kind
> of standard stuff for NASA or NOAA people, although they probably do it
> in IDL. The data is in text format, at 0.5deg intervals in both lat and
> long.
> How should I proceed to import it correctly and have the data pixels
> color-coded?
> Where can I get files of continent contours in flat lat x long projection?
>
> Thanks for any help!

Tim Sutton
QGIS Project Steering Committee Member - Release  Manager
Visit http://qgis.org for a great open source GIS
openModeller Desktop Developer
Visit http://openModeller.sf.net for a great open source ecological
niche modelling tool
Home Page: http://tim.linfiniti.com
Skype: timlinux
Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: Newbie questions: importing atmospheric data for world overlay

CraigLeat
[hidden email] wrote:

> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 21:28:32 -0500
> From: Chris <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [Qgis-user] Newbie questions: importing atmospheric data for
> world overlay
> To: [hidden email]
>
> I'm a total newbie to GIS in general and QGIS in particular. The
> omnipresent jargon in the User Guide is scary, and the learning curve is
> steep for me. Just opening/importing a text data file is not even a
> standard feature! (I use OSX 10.4.10.)
> My task is to overlay a color-coded gridded map of atmospheric satellite
> data on a flat, 2D, lat x long contour of continents. This is the kind
> of standard stuff for NASA or NOAA people, although they probably do it
> in IDL. The data is in text format, at 0.5deg intervals in both lat and
> long.
> How should I proceed to import it correctly and have the data pixels
> color-coded?
> Where can I get files of continent contours in flat lat x long projection?
>
> Thanks for any help!

Hi Chris

Load your text data with the delimited text plugin (reached from the
plugins menu). Select the layer, right click -> properties and then
fiddle with the symbology. You might try continuous colour or classes
(0-99, 100-199 , etc).

For a free world base map try: http://freegis.org/database/?cat=1 Take a
look at the ESRI link on that page. This is likely what you need.

Regards

Craig.