New user 6.1

Sandra Goodrow

I am a new user of GRASS 6.1.  I have previously worked solely in ArcGIS.  I have not found a comprehensive manual that helps me to understand how to start.  I am not sure that I am interpreting “location” and “mapset” properly and even if I can use the files I currently use in ArcView (I have converted all to rasters) for a projection.  My main error message is “…not a valid mapset”.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sandra M. Goodrow

Program Associate

Rutgers Cooperative Extension Water Resources Program

14 College Farm Road, Room 241

New Brunswick, NJ 08901

Phone: (732)932-9800 ext.6125

Fax: (732)932-8644

Re: New user 6.1

Jachym Cepicky
Hi,
first of all, please subscribe better to grass-user mailing list [1],
GRASSGUI is related to the *development* of Graphical User Interface.

There is great book from Markus Neteler and Helena Mitasova, which
describes whole GRASS in it's finest features [2]. But it might be
little bit expensive for you.

Than you can use little bit outdated, but still IMHO usable book from
GDF-Hannover. It'll help you to start with GRASS and to understand some
of it's basic concepts.

You can also look at GRASS wiki, where some topics are described as well
[3].

Basic raster or vector data management, analysis and other topics are
described in special manual pages [4].

I hope, this helps you to start with GRASS. Good luck

Jachym

P.S. GRASS 6.1 is rather old. I would suggest you, to install 6.2
instead (or later on, 6.3, which should be released soon).

[2] http://www.gdf-hannover.de/media.php?id=0&lg=en
[3] http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/GRASS_Documents
[4] http://grass.itc.it/grass63/manuals/html63_user/index.html

Sandra Goodrow píše v Pá 02. 11. 2007 v 11:56 -0400:

> I am a new user of GRASS 6.1.  I have previously worked solely in
> ArcGIS.  I have not found a comprehensive manual that helps me to
> understand how to start.  I am not sure that I am interpreting
> “location” and “mapset” properly and even if I can use the files I
> currently use in ArcView (I have converted all to rasters) for a
> projection.  My main error message is “…not a valid mapset”.
>

> Any help would be appreciated.
>

> Sandra M. Goodrow
>
> Program Associate
>
> Rutgers Cooperative Extension Water Resources Program
>
> 14 College Farm Road, Room 241
>
> New Brunswick, NJ 08901
>
> Phone: (732)932-9800 ext.6125
>
> Fax: (732)932-8644