New release?

Stephan Holl
Dear list,

are there plans to release a new version of tilecache within the next
weeks? I am asking because I need newer packages for debian, which I
will create in the near future. It would be good to have some more
recent version in debian, since there is at least 1 known issue within
the seeding-program which dies occationaly with "Zero length data
returned from layer."

Best

        Stephan

--
Stephan Holl <[hidden email]> | Tel.: +49 (0)541-33 508 3663
Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 OS  |  AG Osnabrück - HR B 18998

Fwd: New release?

christopher.schmidt
(Sorry, still getting used to new mail setup.)

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "Schmidt Christopher (Nokia-S/Cambridge)" <[hidden email]
> >
> Date: April 15, 2010 9:45:57 AM EDT
> To: ext Stephan Holl <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Tilecache] New release?
>
> On Apr 15, 2010, at 5:28 AM, ext Stephan Holl wrote:
>
>> Dear list,
>>
>> are there plans to release a new version of tilecache within the next
>> weeks? I am asking because I need newer packages for debian, which I
>> will create in the near future. It would be good to have some more
>> recent version in debian, since there is at least 1 known issue
>> within
>> the seeding-program which dies occationaly with "Zero length data
>> returned from layer."
>
> As far as I know, that is still the case in the SVN version of
> TileCache; do you believe that this is not the case (That this is
> fixed/changed)?
>
> -- Chris

Re: New release?

Russell McOrmond
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010, Stephan Holl wrote:

> recent version in debian, since there is at least 1 known issue within
> the seeding-program which dies occationaly with "Zero length data
> returned from layer."

   There is also a locking issue fixed by
http://trac.osgeo.org/tilecache/changeset/391 that would be good to get
into an official release.   Not everyone is comfortable applying patches
themself, or are allowed to in some organizations (Gov departments).

  Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
  rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
  http://digital-copyright.ca/petition/ict/     http://KillBillC61.ca

   manufacturers, can pry control over my camcorder, computer,
   home theatre, or portable media player from my cold dead hands!"

Re: New release?

christopher.schmidt

On Apr 16, 2010, at 1:48 PM, ext Russell McOrmond wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Apr 2010, Stephan Holl wrote:
>
>> recent version in debian, since there is at least 1 known issue
>> within
>> the seeding-program which dies occationaly with "Zero length data
>> returned from layer."
>
>   There is also a locking issue fixed by
> http://trac.osgeo.org/tilecache/changeset/391 that would be good to
> get
> into an official release.   Not everyone is comfortable applying
> patches
> themself, or are allowed to in some organizations (Gov departments).

Yep. I don't disagree that a new release is in order; basically, I'm
trying to finish 'cleaning house' by getting infrastructure moved to
OSGeo, which I'm partially delaying on some OSGeo-related changes,
after which it is my intention to do a new release.

I'm just confused how a new release helps fix a problem in Debian,
since that issue isn't patched in TileCache. (For the record, I'm
still confused, and would love an explanation from Stephan.)

-- Chris

Re: New release?

Russell McOrmond
On Fri, 16 Apr 2010, [hidden email] wrote:

> Yep. I don't disagree that a new release is in order; basically, I'm
> trying to finish 'cleaning house' by getting infrastructure moved to
> OSGeo, which I'm partially delaying on some OSGeo-related changes,
> after which it is my intention to do a new release.

   Thanks for this update.

> I'm just confused how a new release helps fix a problem in Debian,
> since that issue isn't patched in TileCache. (For the record, I'm
> still confused, and would love an explanation from Stephan.)

   That one is mentioned in discussion, but a patch hasn't yet been
written.   Ideal may be to have a configuration flag that says whether the
exception is raised or not.

http://openlayers.org/pipermail/tilecache/2009-August/001973.html

   I had the same issue with a client, and for them I just commented that
line out.

   else: pass #raise Exception("Zero length data returned from layer.")

   Wish I had time to create/test a patch, but things are a bit busy
work-wise at the moment.