New python packages in QGIS 3.0

Pedro Camargo
Hi,
     I am looking to port a few projects that exist in Python for the transportation modeling world (complimentary to the AequilibraE plugin) , but they rely heavily on scientific and data analysis packages such as Pandas.

Is there any chance new Python packages will be added to the standalone QGIS installer for Windows? Is this list available?

Windows is by far the most used operating system in the transportation planning/modeling world, so supporting these libraries would aind in making QGIS the go-to place for open-source transport planning/modeling.

Cheers,
Pedro

Re: New python packages in QGIS 3.0

pcav
Il 22/11/2016 01:04, Pedro Camargo ha scritto:

>      I am looking to port a few projects that exist in Python for the
> transportation modeling world (complimentary to the AequilibraE plugin)
> , but they rely heavily on scientific and data analysis packages such as
> Pandas.
>
> Is there any chance new Python packages will be added to the standalone
> QGIS installer for Windows? Is this list available?
>
> Windows is by far the most used operating system in the transportation
> planning/modeling world, so supporting these libraries would aind in
> making QGIS the go-to place for open-source transport planning/modeling.

Hi Pedro,
I agree this would be an useful addition. You can find current list here:
https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/wiki/PackageListing
Please consider learning how to add it yourself, or sponsoring its
inclusion.
All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu

Re: New python packages in QGIS 3.0

Pedro Camargo
Hi Paolo,
                Thanks for the feedback. I am developing open source transportation software as a volunteer, so I have no resources to sponsor this effort. Open source is still not big in transportation modeling (unfortunately), and I am not very hopeful to find resources in my industry for such a task.

                As soon as I have a break I will look into contributing it to QGIS myself, although I am afraid it might be way above my skill level. To follow that route, are there any "how-to", example or list of recommendations I could use to jump start it?

Cheers,
Pedro

Il 22/11/2016 11:54, Pedro Camargo ha scritto:

>                 As soon as I have a break I will look into contributing
> it to QGIS myself, although I am afraid it might be way above my skill
> level. To follow that route, are there any "how-to", example or list of
> recommendations I could use to jump start it?

good point. I do not know of an howto for this, it would be good to have.
All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu

Re: New python packages in QGIS 3.0

ginetto
Hi Pedro,

short answer: yes you can use Pandas without problems

large answer: Pandas can be simply installed using pip from osgeo4w
shell (OSGeo4W python-pandas package is broken and probably not
maintained because the simply workaround using pip), and pip now is
already installed in OSGeo4W.
Beaware that pandas will be installed in dist_packages on the of you
osgeo installation. No way (for now) to use Pandas installed with
Anaconda because is is using a different python interpreter that that
used by osgeo4w. Btw you can link the two world using wrapping scripts
and setting pythonhome env var changing the running context.

I Strongly suggest to:

1) install pandas using pip
2) use IPython Console qgis plugin by Alessandro Pasotti where you can
have also inline graphics and qgis var instances introspection.

remember only that the IPython kernel of the IPython Console can't be
connected from external clients due to intrinsic embedding limitation.

cheers
Luigi Pirelli

* Boundless QGIS Support/Development: lpirelli AT boundlessgeo DOT com
* GitHub: https://github.com/luipir
* Mastering QGIS 2nd Edition:
* https://www.packtpub.com/big-data-and-business-intelligence/mastering-qgis-second-edition