New profiling module for wxgrass

Michael Barton
New profiling module for wxgrass Following up on the general gist of discussions about graphing, I created a new profiling module for wxgrass using the plot module in wxPython. Although the docs stated that it required numeric, numarray, or numpy as a dependency, it was not clear during development if this particular application of the plot module did indeed require this.

I’ve now tested it on another system and can verify that to run the new profile module (profile.py) you’ll need one of these dependent modules (any will work). They are available from a variety of sources. I’ll try to get together a list and put it in the README if we want to continue with this.

I will say that doing the profile with plot produced a very nice result (I’ve attached a screenshot here) with about 1/3  of the code I’d need to do it manually. It also makes it very easy to do other simple graphs (mainly line and point graphs, though bar graphs are also possible) with very little in the way of coding—built in save to file, printing, zooming, dragging, scrolling, and log scales for example.

Let me know what you think (after you’ve installed numeric/numarray/numpy).

Michael
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213
fax: 480-965-7671

plotmodule.jpeg (85K) Download Attachment

Re: New profiling module for wxgrass

Jachym Cepicky
Hi Michael,

it looks nice, but it does not seem to work for me. When I draw the
profile and click on the "create profile" button, I get:

  File "/usr/src/gis/grass/addons/gui/gui_modules/profile.py", line 320,
in CreateProfile
    self.pline = plot.PolyLine(self.datalist, colour='blue', width=2,
legend='Profile')
  File
"/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/lib/plot.py",
line 224, in __init__
    PolyPoints.__init__(self, points, attr)
  File
"/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/lib/plot.py",
line 124, in __init__
    self._points = _Numeric.array(points).astype(_Numeric.Float64)
ValueError: matrices are not aligned for copy

Thanks for this effort

Jachym

Michael Barton píše v Po 21. 05. 2007 v 16:27 -0700:

> Following up on the general gist of discussions about graphing, I
> created a new profiling module for wxgrass using the plot module in
> wxPython. Although the docs stated that it required numeric, numarray,
> or numpy as a dependency, it was not clear during development if this
> particular application of the plot module did indeed require this.
>
> I’ve now tested it on another system and can verify that to run the
> new profile module (profile.py) you’ll need one of these dependent
> modules (any will work). They are available from a variety of sources.
> I’ll try to get together a list and put it in the README if we want to
> continue with this.
>
> I will say that doing the profile with plot produced a very nice
> result (I’ve attached a screenshot here) with about 1/3  of the code
> I’d need to do it manually. It also makes it very easy to do other
> simple graphs (mainly line and point graphs, though bar graphs are
> also possible) with very little in the way of coding—built in save to
> file, printing, zooming, dragging, scrolling, and log scales for
> example.
>
> Let me know what you think (after you’ve installed
> numeric/numarray/numpy).
>
> Michael
> Center for Social Dynamics and Complexity
> Arizona State University
>
> phone: 480-965-6213
> fax: 480-965-7671
Jachym Cepicky
e-mail: [hidden email]
GPG: http://www.les-ejk.cz/pgp/jachym_cepicky-gpg.pub

Re: New profiling module for wxgrass

Michael Barton
Do you have numeric, numarray, or numpy installed (and the proper one for
your Python version)? Also, does the Pyplot demo work for you?

Michael

On 5/21/07 10:25 PM, "Jachym Cepicky" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> it looks nice, but it does not seem to work for me. When I draw the
> profile and click on the "create profile" button, I get:
>
>   File "/usr/src/gis/grass/addons/gui/gui_modules/profile.py", line 320,
> in CreateProfile
>     self.pline = plot.PolyLine(self.datalist, colour='blue', width=2,
> legend='Profile')
>   File
> "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/lib/plot.py",
> line 224, in __init__
>     PolyPoints.__init__(self, points, attr)
>   File
> "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/lib/plot.py",
> line 124, in __init__
>     self._points = _Numeric.array(points).astype(_Numeric.Float64)
> ValueError: matrices are not aligned for copy
>
> Thanks for this effort
>
> Jachym
>
> Michael Barton píše v Po 21. 05. 2007 v 16:27 -0700:
>> Following up on the general gist of discussions about graphing, I
>> created a new profiling module for wxgrass using the plot module in
>> wxPython. Although the docs stated that it required numeric, numarray,
>> or numpy as a dependency, it was not clear during development if this
>> particular application of the plot module did indeed require this.
>>
>> I've now tested it on another system and can verify that to run the
>> new profile module (profile.py) you'll need one of these dependent
>> modules (any will work). They are available from a variety of sources.
>> I'll try to get together a list and put it in the README if we want to
>> continue with this.
>>
>> I will say that doing the profile with plot produced a very nice
>> result (I've attached a screenshot here) with about 1/3  of the code
>> I'd need to do it manually. It also makes it very easy to do other
>> simple graphs (mainly line and point graphs, though bar graphs are
>> also possible) with very little in the way of coding--built in save to
>> file, printing, zooming, dragging, scrolling, and log scales for
>> example.
>>
>> Let me know what you think (after you've installed
>> numeric/numarray/numpy).
>>
>> Michael
>> Michael Barton, Professor of Anthropology
>> School of Human Evolution & Social Change
>> Center for Social Dynamics and Complexity
>> Arizona State University
>>
>> phone: 480-965-6213
>> fax: 480-965-7671
>> www: http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton

Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213
fax: 480-965-7671

Michael Barton píše v Po 21. 05. 2007 v 22:39 -0700:
> Do you have numeric, numarray, or numpy installed (and the proper one for
> your Python version)? Also, does the Pyplot demo work for you?

yes for both (python-numeric), wxwidgets 2.8.1.1 from ubuntu package

> Michael
>

> On 5/21/07 10:25 PM, "Jachym Cepicky" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Michael,
> >
> > it looks nice, but it does not seem to work for me. When I draw the
> > profile and click on the "create profile" button, I get:
> >
> >   File "/usr/src/gis/grass/addons/gui/gui_modules/profile.py", line 320,
> > in CreateProfile
> >     self.pline = plot.PolyLine(self.datalist, colour='blue', width=2,
> > legend='Profile')
> >   File
> > "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/lib/plot.py",
> > line 224, in __init__
> >     PolyPoints.__init__(self, points, attr)
> >   File
> > "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/lib/plot.py",
> > line 124, in __init__
> >     self._points = _Numeric.array(points).astype(_Numeric.Float64)
> > ValueError: matrices are not aligned for copy
> >
> > Thanks for this effort
> >
> > Jachym
> >
> > Michael Barton píše v Po 21. 05. 2007 v 16:27 -0700:
> >> Following up on the general gist of discussions about graphing, I
> >> created a new profiling module for wxgrass using the plot module in
> >> wxPython. Although the docs stated that it required numeric, numarray,
> >> or numpy as a dependency, it was not clear during development if this
> >> particular application of the plot module did indeed require this.
> >>
> >> I've now tested it on another system and can verify that to run the
> >> new profile module (profile.py) you'll need one of these dependent
> >> modules (any will work). They are available from a variety of sources.
> >> I'll try to get together a list and put it in the README if we want to
> >> continue with this.
> >>
> >> I will say that doing the profile with plot produced a very nice
> >> result (I've attached a screenshot here) with about 1/3  of the code
> >> I'd need to do it manually. It also makes it very easy to do other
> >> simple graphs (mainly line and point graphs, though bar graphs are
> >> also possible) with very little in the way of coding--built in save to
> >> file, printing, zooming, dragging, scrolling, and log scales for
> >> example.
> >>
> >> Let me know what you think (after you've installed
> >> numeric/numarray/numpy).
> >>
> >> Michael
> >> __________________________________________
> >> Michael Barton, Professor of Anthropology
> >> School of Human Evolution & Social Change
> >> Center for Social Dynamics and Complexity
> >> Arizona State University
> >>
> >> phone: 480-965-6213
> >> fax: 480-965-7671
> >> www: http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton

> Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
> Arizona State University
>
> phone: 480-965-6213
> fax: 480-965-7671

Jachym Cepicky
e-mail: [hidden email]
GPG: http://www.les-ejk.cz/pgp/jachym_cepicky-gpg.pub

Re: [GRASS-dev] Re: New profiling module for wxgrass

Martin Landa
Hi,

2007/5/22, Carlos Guâno Grohmann <[hidden email]>:

[snip]

> PS: I get this error when I tried to set the region from display:
>
> Set region from display:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/local/grass-6.3.cvs/etc/wx/gui_modules/mapdisp.py", line
> 916, in DisplayToWind
>     p = Popen(cmd, stdin=PIPE, stdout=PIPE, stderr=PIPE, close_fds=True)
> NameError: global name 'Popen' is not defined

Fixed in SVN.

Martin

--
Martin Landa <[hidden email]> * http://gama.fsv.cvut.cz/~landa *

Re: New profiling module for wxgrass

Jachym Cepicky
hi,

I had to install all tree packages - now it works.

Great work!

jachym

> [...]

> >> I'll try to get together a list and put it in the README if we want to
> >> continue with this.
> >>
> >> I will say that doing the profile with plot produced a very nice
> >> result (I've attached a screenshot here) with about 1/3  of the code
> >> I'd need to do it manually. It also makes it very easy to do other
> >> simple graphs (mainly line and point graphs, though bar graphs are
> >> also possible) with very little in the way of coding--built in save to
> >> file, printing, zooming, dragging, scrolling, and log scales for
> >> example.
> >>
> >> Let me know what you think (after you've installed
> >> numeric/numarray/numpy).
> >>
> >> Michael
> >> __________________________________________
> >> Michael Barton, Professor of Anthropology
> >> School of Human Evolution & Social Change
> >> Center for Social Dynamics and Complexity

I wonder if it really needs numpy and that the other two are too old, in
spite of what the docs say?

Michael

On 5/24/07 7:55 AM, "Jachym Cepicky" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi,
>
> I had to install all tree packages - now it works.
>
> Great work!
>
> jachym
>
> Michael Barton píše v Po 21. 05. 2007 v 22:39 -0700:
>> Do you have numeric, numarray, or numpy installed (and the proper one for
>> your Python version)? Also, does the Pyplot demo work for you?
>>
>> Michael
>>

>> On 5/21/07 10:25 PM, "Jachym Cepicky" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Michael,
>>>
>>> it looks nice, but it does not seem to work for me. When I draw the
>>> profile and click on the "create profile" button, I get:
>>>
>>>   File "/usr/src/gis/grass/addons/gui/gui_modules/profile.py", line 320,
>>> in CreateProfile
>>>     self.pline = plot.PolyLine(self.datalist, colour='blue', width=2,
>>> legend='Profile')
>>>   File
>>> "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/lib/plot.py",
>>> line 224, in __init__
>>>     PolyPoints.__init__(self, points, attr)
>>>   File
>>> "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/lib/plot.py",
>>> line 124, in __init__
>>>     self._points = _Numeric.array(points).astype(_Numeric.Float64)
>>> ValueError: matrices are not aligned for copy
>>>
>>> Thanks for this effort
>>>
>>> Jachym

>> Michael Barton, Professor of Anthropology
>> School of Human Evolution & Social Change
>> Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
>> Arizona State University
>>
>> phone: 480-965-6213
>> fax: 480-965-7671
>> www: http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton

Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213
fax: 480-965-7671

Re: New profiling module for wxgrass

Jachym Cepicky
python-numpy - needed for profiling tool
python-numeric - several gnome and other packages are using it
python-numarray - not needed

Jachym

Michael Barton píše v Čt 24. 05. 2007 v 09:02 -0700:

> I wonder if it really needs numpy and that the other two are too old, in
> spite of what the docs say?
>
> Michael
>

> On 5/24/07 7:55 AM, "Jachym Cepicky" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > hi,
> >
> > I had to install all tree packages - now it works.
> >
> > Great work!
> >
> > jachym
> >
> > Michael Barton píše v Po 21. 05. 2007 v 22:39 -0700:
> >> Do you have numeric, numarray, or numpy installed (and the proper one for
> >> your Python version)? Also, does the Pyplot demo work for you?
> >>
> >> Michael

> >> __________________________________________
> >> Michael Barton, Professor of Anthropology
> >> School of Human Evolution & Social Change
> >> Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
> >> Arizona State University
> >>
> >> phone: 480-965-6213
> >> fax: 480-965-7671
> >> www: http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton

> Center for Social Dynamics and Complexity
> Arizona State University
>
> phone: 480-965-6213
> fax: 480-965-7671

Jachym Cepicky
e-mail: [hidden email]
GPG: http://www.les-ejk.cz/pgp/jachym_cepicky-gpg.pub

Re: New profiling module for wxgrass

Michael Barton
Each segment is marked with a point (default a triangle, but you can change
that). I'd originally marked the beginning and ending of the transect with a
point too, but Hamish suggested that it looks better to exclude these.

Glad this is working for you.

Michael