New feature request: meta-tiles greater than 256x256 in size

New feature request: meta-tiles greater than 256x256 in size

Eugene Podshivalov
Hi all,
Meta-tiling currently works only if tile size is set to 256x256 px. But on high resolution displays they look a bit blurd. It would be nice to have a possibility to request meta-tiles of a greater size and dpi.

Regards,
Eugene

Re: New feature request: meta-tiles greater than 256x256 in size

geowolf
Hi Eugene,
are you talking about cached tiles or just on the fly meta-tiling done on wms requests with tiled=true?

Ah, in case you have not seen this already, here is a guide for feature requests:

Cheers
Andrea

On Sat, Jan 19, 2019 at 10:59 AM Eugene Podshivalov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,
Meta-tiling currently works only if tile size is set to 256x256 px. But on high resolution displays they look a bit blurd. It would be nice to have a possibility to request meta-tiles of a greater size and dpi.

Regards,
Eugene

Re: New feature request: meta-tiles greater than 256x256 in size

Eugene Podshivalov
Hi Andrea,
are you talking about cached tiles or just on the fly meta-tiling done on wms requests with tiled=true?
I'm talking about the latter. I'm using OpenLayers to request tiles from Geoserver wms. When meta-tiling is disabled (tile=true is not defined) it is possible to request tiles of greater size and dpi (e.g. 320x320 px size and 113 dpi) to improve image quality. Then I decided to switch to meta-tiling to resolve the issues with duplicated labels but it is limited to 256x256 tile size which impacted the map image quality.

PS: Thanks for the link. I've seen it already, and that is why I started the process from descussing the request on the mailing list. Is there some issue tracking system to post this request into?

Regards,
Eugene

сб, 19 янв. 2019 г. в 13:03, Andrea Aime <[hidden email]>:
Hi Eugene,
are you talking about cached tiles or just on the fly meta-tiling done on wms requests with tiled=true?

Ah, in case you have not seen this already, here is a guide for feature requests:

Cheers
Andrea

On Sat, Jan 19, 2019 at 10:59 AM Eugene Podshivalov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,
Meta-tiling currently works only if tile size is set to 256x256 px. But on high resolution displays they look a bit blurd. It would be nice to have a possibility to request meta-tiles of a greater size and dpi.

Regards,
Eugene

Re: New feature request: meta-tiles greater than 256x256 in size

geowolf
On Sat, Jan 19, 2019 at 11:33 AM Eugene Podshivalov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Andrea,
are you talking about cached tiles or just on the fly meta-tiling done on wms requests with tiled=true?
I'm talking about the latter. I'm using OpenLayers to request tiles from Geoserver wms. When meta-tiling is disabled (tile=true is not defined) it is possible to request tiles of greater size and dpi (e.g. 320x320 px size and 113 dpi) to improve image quality. Then I decided to switch to meta-tiling to resolve the issues with duplicated labels but it is limited to 256x256 tile size which impacted the map image quality.

Right... I guess it could be done, it's a matter of someone coding it, and probably adding a parameter to control the tile size (within reason, on the fly meta-tiling keeps tiles in memory for a handful of seconds, there is no caching).
A possible alternative is to actually put a tile cache behind the requests, you can still use WMS request as long as "direct integration" is on in the "caching defaults" and your
WMS request align to the tiles. This allows bigger tiles too. That's what we normally do, so that we can use cached tiles for the common case, but switch to on the fly generation when
the requested projection is not supported, or there are parameters changing the

PS: Thanks for the link. I've seen it already, and that is why I started the process from descussing the request on the mailing list. Is there some issue tracking system to post this request into?

Cheers
Andrea

==

GeoServer Professional Services from the experts! Visit http://goo.gl/it488V for more information. == Ing. Andrea Aime @geowolf Technical Lead GeoSolutions S.A.S. Via di Montramito 3/A 55054 Massarosa (LU) phone: +39 0584 962313 fax: +39 0584 1660272 mob: +39 339 8844549 http://www.geo-solutions.it http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it ------------------------------------------------------- Con riferimento alla normativa sul trattamento dei dati personali (Reg. UE 2016/679 - Regolamento generale sulla protezione dei dati “GDPR”), si precisa che ogni circostanza inerente alla presente email (il suo contenuto, gli eventuali allegati, etc.) è un dato la cui conoscenza è riservata al/i solo/i destinatario/i indicati dallo scrivente. Se il messaggio Le è giunto per errore, è tenuta/o a cancellarlo, ogni altra operazione è illecita. Le sarei comunque grato se potesse darmene notizia. This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. We remind that - as provided by European Regulation 2016/679 “GDPR” - copying, dissemination or use of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email by mistake, please notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail.

Re: New feature request: meta-tiles greater than 256x256 in size

Eugene Podshivalov
A possible alternative is to actually put a tile cache behind the requests, you can still use WMS request as long as "direct integration" is on in the "caching defaults" and your
WMS request align to the tiles. This allows bigger tiles too. That's what we normally do, so that we can use cached tiles for the common case, but switch to on the fly generation when
the requested projection is not supported, or there are parameters changing the
There are a lot of criteria imposed on the direct integration to work and unfortunately referencing a single layer is one of them which does not let me unilize this approach.

I will submit the request into the issue tracker. Thanks.

Cheers,
Eugene

On Sat, Jan 19, 2019 at 12:00 PM Eugene Podshivalov <[hidden email]> wrote:
A possible alternative is to actually put a tile cache behind the requests, you can still use WMS request as long as "direct integration" is on in the "caching defaults" and your
WMS request align to the tiles. This allows bigger tiles too. That's what we normally do, so that we can use cached tiles for the common case, but switch to on the fly generation when
the requested projection is not supported, or there are parameters changing the
There are a lot of criteria imposed on the direct integration to work and unfortunately referencing a single layer is one of them which does not let me unilize this approach.

I see... well, a different approach could be to have GWC merge tiles on the fly then. It already has a WMS mode where it merges nearby tiles to answer a large WMS request,
it could also do something similar by reading and stacking on each other different layer tiles. I see that as more useful than large metatiling, but maybe it's just me.

Cheers
Andrea

==

[...]

Will it not mess up the labels?

Cheers,
Eugene

On Sat, Jan 19, 2019 at 12:33 PM Eugene Podshivalov <[hidden email]> wrote:
it could also do something similar by reading and stacking on each other different layer tiles.
Will it not mess up the labels?

That is right, if multiple layers are labelled, it would.
Another common trick to have fast maps and good labelling at the same time is to have separate styles for labels,
request tiles for the geometric part, and do full screen requests for the labels. Not used very often, but imho, provides best of both words.

Cheers
Andrea

==

[...]

My app allows user to enable or disable labels individually for each layer, so unfortunately this approach won't help either. Thanks anyway.

Cheers,
Eugene

On Sat, Jan 19, 2019 at 11:24 PM Eugene Podshivalov <[hidden email]> wrote:
I currently have 7 layers (and there will be more added later on). So for the labeling to work proper I would have to setup 7*7=49 label layers which is a bit more than "a bit of setup".

I believe you just need 7, a GetMap allows you to list as many layers as you want, the label request just has to list the currently active layers, comma separated, with
their corresponding label styles. But you'd still need 2 styles per layer, one without labels, and with. One could further simplify this by adding a new flag in the request
that allows to filter the style, picking only the labeling parts, and the non labeling ones, that would allow to reduce the style maintenance down to one style per layer.
Something I've been wanted to do for a while, but cannot find a project to sponsor this activity in working hours.

Cheers
Andrea

==

[...]

I currently do it by means of env variables which filter geometric or label parts within one style. The style is more complicated than it could be with your desired solution but I guess the result is the same, isn't it? But anyway if GWC can only stack images from different layers how would it resolve label conflicts if they are in different layers?

Cheers,
Eugene

On Sun, Jan 20, 2019 at 11:32 AM Eugene Podshivalov <[hidden email]> wrote:
One could further simplify this by adding a new flag in the request that allows to filter the style, picking only the labeling parts, and the non labeling ones, that would allow to reduce the style maintenance down to one style per layer.
I currently do it by means of env variables which filter geometric or label parts within one style. The style is more complicated than it could be with your desired solution but I guess the result is the same, isn't it?

Correct

But anyway if GWC can only stack images from different layers how would it resolve label conflicts if they are in different layers?

What I suggested was to use a full screen WMS request for labels, so GWC would not be used for labels (label update on the client would lag a bit,
but normally not a big deal, unless you really have so many labels on screen, at which point I'd start questioning if the map is still actually readable).

Cheers
Andrea

==

[...]

Do you mean a single image (covering the entire screen size) wms request, as opposed to tiled one?

Cheers,
Eugene

On Sun, Jan 20, 2019 at 11:54 AM Eugene Podshivalov <[hidden email]> wrote:
What I suggested was to use a full screen WMS request for labels
Do you mean a single image (covering the entire screen size) wms request, as opposed to tiled one?

Yes, but just for labels, the rest stays tiled to get the tiling/caching benefits (maps stays on screen, updates little by little as one pans, depending on case there are some caching possibilities)

Cheers
Andrea

==

On Sun, Jan 20, 2019 at 12:18 PM Eugene Podshivalov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok. How do you make GWC stack the geometry tiles from different layers. Does it assume calling the GWC endpoint url directly with the list of layers defined in the request?

You don't, it's one of the "would be nice" features we discussed earlier in the thread :-)

Cheers
Andrea