New community module: "api"

geowolf
Hi,
in preparation for the OGC API hackaton I'd like to request a "api" community module that might
be the start of the new OGC API bindings.

At the beginning I'm thinking to have a single module, "api", and maybe later, once it reaches critical mass,
split it into a few, something like:
- api
   - core (spring mvc like dispatcher, based on annotations, and common utilities)
   - features (would migrate selected classes of wfs3 here, gradually abandoning the wfs3 module and its tiles/styles experimental extensions)
   - maps
   - coverages
   - processes
   - styles

Somewhere we should have also "tiles".... I'm a bit torn about this one.
Development wise it would be easier to have it in the group above, leveraging the same Spring MVC style development, but
product wise it would be better to have it in GWC, where we'd have to use the low level ServletHttpRequest/Response based
approach to develop it. Not the biggest deal I guess, the tiles API is pretty simple compared to others.

I don't expect these modules to reach extension or core soon, the OGC API is still pretty much in the air
and it will take probably some time to have some firm specifications and extensions to make them
"useful" (like filtering and reprojection for the feaures api), community seems to be the right place for
something still evolving

Cheers
Andrea

== GeoServer Professional Services from the experts! Visit http://goo.gl/it488V for more information. == Ing. Andrea Aime @geowolf Technical Lead GeoSolutions S.A.S. Via di Montramito 3/A 55054 Massarosa (LU) phone: +39 0584 962313 fax: +39 0584 1660272 mob: +39 339 8844549 http://www.geo-solutions.it http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it ------------------------------------------------------- Con riferimento alla normativa sul trattamento dei dati personali (Reg. UE 2016/679 - Regolamento generale sulla protezione dei dati “GDPR”), si precisa che ogni circostanza inerente alla presente email (il suo contenuto, gli eventuali allegati, etc.) è un dato la cui conoscenza è riservata al/i solo/i destinatario/i indicati dallo scrivente. Se il messaggio Le è giunto per errore, è tenuta/o a cancellarlo, ogni altra operazione è illecita. Le sarei comunque grato se potesse darmene notizia. This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. We remind that - as provided by European Regulation 2016/679 “GDPR” - copying, dissemination or use of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email by mistake, please notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail.

Re: New community module: "api"

Brad Hards

+1.

Re: New community module: "api"

Nuno Oliveira-3
+1 (non PSC member)

On Tue, 2019-06-18 at 10:20 +0200, Andrea Aime wrote:
[...]

Nuno Oliveira
==
GeoServer Professional Services from the
experts!
Visit http://goo.gl/it488V for more information.
==

Nuno Miguel Carvalho Oliveira
@nmcoliveira
Software Engineer

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax:      +39 0584 1660272

[...]

question for you, I wanted to host all these new "API services" under a geoserver/api path,
but these services mandate to have a api path or their own with the OpenAPI document for that service,
resulting in a not so appealing "geoserver/api/features/api"

Hmm... suggestions for a different location?

Cheers
Andrea

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 10:20 AM Andrea Aime <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

jody.garnett
+1 one on the module, is "api" really the nest name the OGC could come up with :D

As I understand it the tiles and wms replacement are evolving concurrently at the moment; but I could be weeks out of date.
Just to double check you wish to have the plural form of features, maps, coverages, etc...

--
Jody Garnett

On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 at 01:22, Andrea Aime <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I used ogcapi as the name for my client-side plugin to opensphere.

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 9:50 PM Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 one on the module, is "api" really the nest name the OGC could come up with :D

As I understand it the tiles and wms replacement are evolving concurrently at the moment; but I could be weeks out of date.
Just to double check you wish to have the plural form of features, maps, coverages, etc...

It's not my wish, it's the name given to them by OGC, see the "room allocations", which are named by API being discussed:

Something that might be changing during the hackaton of course.