New branching method - for PSC approval

Luí­s Moreira de Sousa
Dear all, I hope you had a merry Christmas.

I would like to implement the branching method we discussed some time ago [0]. develop becomes the main development branch and master tracks exclusively released code. I already modified the guidelines with up to date instructions for the develop branch.

The most noticeable difference in this system is that all pull requests must made against the develop branch. We only merge with master for a new release.

If this is OK with everyone I will then set a date for the main branch shift from master to develop.

Cheers.

--
Luís Moreira de Sousa
Im Grund 6

Phone: +41 (0)79 812 62 65

Re: New branching method - for PSC approval

Tom Kralidis

Hi Luís:

On Fri, 30 Dec 2016, Jonas Eberle wrote:

> Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2016 05:20:43 -0600 (CST)
> From: Jonas Eberle <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Pywps-dev] New branching method - for PSC approval
>
> +1, sounds good.
>
> Cheers,
> Jonas
>
> ----- Am 30. Dez 2016 um 12:11 schrieb Luí­s Moreira de Sousa <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Dear all, I hope you had a merry Christmas.
>
>> I would like to implement the branching method we discussed some time ago [0].
>> develop becomes the main development branch and master tracks exclusively
>> released code. I already modified the guidelines with up to date instructions
>> for the develop branch.

Is there a URL for review?

>> The most noticeable difference in this system is that all pull requests must
>> made against the develop branch. We only merge with master for a new release.
>
>> If this is OK with everyone I will then set a date for the main branch shift
>> from master to develop.

I'm supportive as long as/once there is clear documentation in places like:

- https://github.com/geopython/pywps/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.rst
- https://github.com/geopython/pywps/blob/master/RELEASE-howto.md
- https://github.com/geopython/pywps/blob/master/docs/development.rst
- other?

Cheers

..Tom

>> Cheers.
>
>> [0] http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/
>
>> --
>> Luís Moreira de Sousa
>> Im Grund 6
>> CH-8600 Dübendorf
>> Switzerland
>
>> Phone: +41 (0)79 812 62 65
>> Email: [hidden email]

Re: New branching method - for PSC approval

Luí­s Moreira de Sousa
Hi Tom,

I already modified docs/development.rst. I will update the other two .rst files and put everything in the same pull request.

A side question: why do we need contributing guidelines on RTD and the blob?

Cheers.

--
Luís Moreira de Sousa
Im Grund 6

Phone: +41 (0)79 812 62 65

On Fri, 30 Dec 2016, Jonas Eberle wrote:

> Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2016 05:20:43 -0600 (CST)
> From: Jonas Eberle <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Pywps-dev] New branching method - for PSC approval
>
> +1, sounds good.
>
> Cheers,
> Jonas
>
> ----- Am 30. Dez 2016 um 12:11 schrieb Luí­s Moreira de Sousa <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Dear all, I hope you had a merry Christmas.
>
>> I would like to implement the branching method we discussed some time ago [0].
>> develop becomes the main development branch and master tracks exclusively
>> released code. I already modified the guidelines with up to date instructions
>> for the develop branch.

Is there a URL for review?

>> The most noticeable difference in this system is that all pull requests must
>> made against the develop branch. We only merge with master for a new release.
>
>> If this is OK with everyone I will then set a date for the main branch shift
>> from master to develop.

I'm supportive as long as/once there is clear documentation in places like:

- https://github.com/geopython/pywps/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.rst
- https://github.com/geopython/pywps/blob/master/RELEASE-howto.md
- https://github.com/geopython/pywps/blob/master/docs/development.rst
- other?

Cheers

..Tom

>> Cheers.
>
>> [0] http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/
>
>> --
>> Luís Moreira de Sousa
>> Im Grund 6
>> CH-8600 Dübendorf
>> Switzerland
>
>> Phone: +41 (0)79 812 62 65
>> Email: [hidden email]

Re: New branching method - for PSC approval

Jachym Cepicky
Hi

> I'm supportive as long as/once there is clear documentation in places like:
>
> - https://github.com/geopython/pywps/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.rst
> - https://github.com/geopython/pywps/blob/master/RELEASE-howto.md
> - https://github.com/geopython/pywps/blob/master/docs/development.rst
> - other?

yes, that should do it - patch for it?

We already have some pull request from @MacPingu and we should move on
with this issue, so we could follow new rules. @Luis, could you please
patch RELEASE-howto and other files?

Thank you!

Jachym

--
Jachym Cepicky
e-mail: [hidden email]

Re: New branching method - for PSC approval

Tom Kralidis
Per Luis' comments we should also make sure this info is not duplicated but referenced accordingly so that it is easy to maintain.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 2, 2017, at 15:37, Jáchym Čepický <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi
>

>> I'm supportive as long as/once there is clear documentation in places like:
>>
>> - https://github.com/geopython/pywps/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.rst
>> - https://github.com/geopython/pywps/blob/master/RELEASE-howto.md
>> - https://github.com/geopython/pywps/blob/master/docs/development.rst
>> - other?
>
> yes, that should do it - patch for it?
>
> We already have some pull request from @MacPingu and we should move on with this issue, so we could follow new rules. @Luis, could you please patch RELEASE-howto and other files?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Jachym
>
> --
> Jachym Cepicky
> e-mail: [hidden email]
> twitter: @jachymc

Re: New branching method - for PSC approval

Luí­s Moreira de Sousa
Hi everyone,

I am travelling right now, I will patch this up tomorrow or Thursday.

Cheers.

--
Luís Moreira de Sousa
Im Grund 6

Phone: +41 (0)79 812 62 65

> I'm supportive as long as/once there is clear documentation in places like:
>
> - https://github.com/geopython/pywps/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.rst
> - https://github.com/geopython/pywps/blob/master/RELEASE-howto.md
> - https://github.com/geopython/pywps/blob/master/docs/development.rst
> - other?

yes, that should do it - patch for it?

We already have some pull request from @MacPingu and we should move on
with this issue, so we could follow new rules. @Luis, could you please
patch RELEASE-howto and other files?

Thank you!

Jachym

--
Jachym Cepicky
twitter: @jachymc

Re: New branching method - for PSC approval

Luí­s Moreira de Sousa
Here is the pull request for review:

Cheers.

--