New Zealand QGIS and Overseas Jurisdictions

New Zealand QGIS and Overseas Jurisdictions

Tony Batistich
Hi

I'm not sure about the issues for members outside of Australia being signatories to a society, business or whatever that will have an Australian jurisdiction and regulations governing it.  Just don't know the implications   eg    would indemnities apply outside Australia?

Has anyone any professional views on this. Is there anyone managing the NZ side?

Regards
Tony Batistich

Re: New Zealand QGIS and Overseas Jurisdictions

John Bryant
Thanks Tony, good point. I would assume that the liability for a NZ-based director of an Australian company would be the same as an Australia-based director. We would be signing contracts and undertaking activities as OSGeo Oceania, so anyone seeking remedy would pursue the organisation rather than the individual (that's how I read it).

Of course, personal liability would still apply in cases of fraud, negligence, criminal activity, trading while insolvent, etc... directors would have to act responsibly to get the liability protection that a company structure offers. In any case, it's a good question and I'd say we should ask it of the professionals we engage to help us set up.

Cheers
John

Re: New Zealand QGIS and Overseas Jurisdictions

Daniel Silk
.. and even before we engage those professionals - ensuring that they have some expertise in setting up organisations that operate / have directors outside of Australia.