New USENET GIS newsgroup

PAULF-2

Hello all you GRASS users,

I just wanted to post a Call For Votes (CFV) for a new USENET
newsgroup. The posting listed below should appear in the listed
newsgroups within the next two days. The voting alias at
css.seismo.gov is set up however and ready to accept votes.

I'd be willing to try and answer anyones questions about this
(email [hidden email]).

Re: New USENET GIS newsgroup

Duane F Marble
Why do we need another GIS-L? If it were going to be moderated it might
be useful.

Duane Marble
Ohio State

Re: New USENET GIS newsgroup

PAULF-2
Duane Marble of Ohio State writes:

>Why do we need another GIS-L?

It's not going to be another GIS-L. GIS-L as well as this
listing are mail based lists, where as comp.infosystems.gis
is a NEWSGROUP (Big distinction here between NEWSGROUP and
List served group).

If you've ever tried USENET news, you'll understand the
preference for it over a ton of mail from list-served
groups (this is my personal opinion, no flames necessary :).

Besides, comp.infosystems.gis will be bridged with gis-l
and the hard to get newsgroup of bitnet.listserv.gis-l will vanish.
That is, postings to comp.infosystems.gis will be mailed
to gis-l and vice-versa. Many people complained that the
gis-l NEWSGROUP was hard to subscribe to. David Mark,
the individual in charge of gis-l, is behind the development
of the gis NEWSGROUP 100%.

Paul Friberg
Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory of Columbia University

Re: New USENET GIS newsgroup

Rob Knauerhase
In an E-mail message, Duane F Marble said:
>Why do we need another GIS-L? If it were going to be moderated it might
>be useful.

The newsgroup shouldn't (and won't) be _another_ GIS-L; rather, it will be
another method of distribution of the current GIS-L.  This has several
advantages:

- sites that receive USEnet news will be able to access the list as a
  newsgroup, rather than sending several copies of each letter to individual
  users at each site.

- Members of the list can read USEnet news at their convenience.  With a
  newsgroup, people don't have to have cluttered mailboxes and can "catch up"
  quickly when they haven't read for a while.  Most modern newsreaders have
  rather advanced thread-following and search/kill features as well, which
  makes reading the list more productive.

- LISTSERV, while venerable, is quite old and based heavily on BITNET
  transport (slow and cumbersome).  Additionally, large clunky IBM mainframes
  are more and more frequently being replaced by the MIS community.  USEnet,
  on the other hand, is modern and up-to-date; people describe it as "like
  Tetris for people who haven't forgotten how to read."

- Lastly (and this is a double-edged sword), having a newsgroup will open the
  list to a larger community, many of whom will be scientists in related
  fields or have other unique approaches and answers to questions.

Basically, since people have arranged a bridge between GIS-L and the newsgroup,
nothing will be lost and a lot will be gained.

Rob Knauerhase
--
Rob Knauerhase
[hidden email] Construction Engineering Research Lab, Corps of Eng.
[hidden email]       UIUC Dept. of Computer Science, Gigabit Study Group

Re: New USENET GIS newsgroup

Duane F Marble
But GIS-L is already available as a newsgroup! Note recent comments
about counting users, etc.

Duane Marble
Ohio State

Re: New USENET GIS newsgroup

RLH2785
>But GIS-L is already available as a newsgroup! Note recent comments
>about counting users, etc.
Currently, gis-l is available as the newsgroup bit.listserv.gis-l, which (if
I understand this correctly) is not available to all Usenet sites. The new
incarnation of gis-l would be available on a much broader basis, maybe to
all Usenet subscribers.

Rick Hammer
Texas A&M
[hidden email]