New OSGeo website should rename Proj4 to Proj

New OSGeo website should rename Proj4 to Proj

Sebastiaan Couwenberg
Hi Jody,

As discussed on the proj list [0][1][2], the "4" in the PROJ.4 name
should be de-emphasized, since the next major release will be PROJ
v5.0.0.

Please rename the project on the new website from "Proj4" to "Proj".

[0] http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/proj/2017-November/007878.html
[1] http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/proj/2017-November/007875.html
[2] http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/proj/2017-November/007874.html

Kind Regards,

Bas

Re: New OSGeo website should rename Proj4 to Proj

Mateusz Loskot
On 11 January 2018 at 14:23, Bas Couwenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Jody,
>
> As discussed on the proj list [0][1][2], the "4" in the PROJ.4 name
> should be de-emphasized, since the next major release will be PROJ
> v5.0.0.
>
> Please rename the project on the new website from "Proj4" to "Proj".

Isn't it a premature call?

https://github.com/OSGeo/proj.4/issues/735

"By keeping PROJ.4 as the name of the project, rather than the
product, we avoid a lot of unneeded trouble with web presence etc."

"Keeping PROJ.4 as an identifier for the project is also a tribute in
the memory of project founder Gerald I. Evenden."

"find_package (PROJ4 5.0)"

and there has been agreement on that so far.

Re: New OSGeo website should rename Proj4 to Proj

Kristian Evers-2
> Isn't it a premature call?

I'd say so, yes. Please don't change the name until after the v. 5.0.0 release is out. At that time we will have a definitive answer regarding naming of the project and its products.

/Kristian

On 11 January 2018 at 14:23, Bas Couwenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Jody,
>
> As discussed on the proj list [0][1][2], the "4" in the PROJ.4 name
> should be de-emphasized, since the next major release will be PROJ
> v5.0.0.
>
> Please rename the project on the new website from "Proj4" to "Proj".

Isn't it a premature call?

https://github.com/OSGeo/proj.4/issues/735

"By keeping PROJ.4 as the name of the project, rather than the
product, we avoid a lot of unneeded trouble with web presence etc."

"Keeping PROJ.4 as an identifier for the project is also a tribute in
the memory of project founder Gerald I. Evenden."

"find_package (PROJ4 5.0)"

and there has been agreement on that so far.

Re: New OSGeo website should rename Proj4 to Proj

Roger Oberholtzer-2
On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 3:01 PM, Kristian Evers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Isn't it a premature call?

>> As discussed on the proj list [0][1][2], the "4" in the PROJ.4 name
>> should be de-emphasized, since the next major release will be PROJ
>> v5.0.0.
>>
>> Please rename the project on the new website from "Proj4" to "Proj".

I agree about the name being simply Proj. My reasoning:

The release numbers don't match the API/ABI version. Proj 4.9.3 is
actually 12. What is being called the 5.x series will go through a few
version numbers. Keeping these two independent sets of numbers
straight is always a source of error.

One set of numbers to rule them all...

--
Roger Oberholtzer

Re: New OSGeo website should rename Proj4 to Proj

Thomas Knudsen
Roger, these numbers are not assumed to match - cf. e.g. https://autotools.io/libtool/version.html
which says: "For what concerns the version of the ABI, it should not, generally, be tied to the release version;"

And please check the entire text of what I propose: The name *is* indeed PROJ, according to that, it's just a matter of keeping PROJ.4 as the name of the *project*, and having *PROJ* as the *product*. This is a.o. in order to keep a reasonable connection to the URL of the proj4.org web presence (proj.org is not available)

You may disagree with me, but if you do so strongly, please volunteer to carry out the rebranding.

On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 3:01 PM, Kristian Evers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Isn't it a premature call?

>> As discussed on the proj list [0][1][2], the "4" in the PROJ.4 name
>> should be de-emphasized, since the next major release will be PROJ
>> v5.0.0.
>>
>> Please rename the project on the new website from "Proj4" to "Proj".

I agree about the name being simply Proj. My reasoning:

The release numbers don't match the API/ABI version. Proj 4.9.3 is
actually 12. What is being called the 5.x series will go through a few
version numbers. Keeping these two independent sets of numbers
straight is always a source of error.

One set of numbers to rule them all...

--
Roger Oberholtzer

Re: New OSGeo website should rename Proj4 to Proj

Roger Oberholtzer-2
On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 10:01 AM, Thomas Knudsen
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> You may disagree with me, but if you do so strongly, please volunteer to
> carry out the rebranding.

I thought I was agreeing. I like Proj instead of Proj5. Sorry if I was unclear.

Still, it would be nice if the point release number (e.g., 5.13 or
whatever, where 13 is the ABI version) was somehow tied to the ABI
version.

--
Roger Oberholtzer