New OGR provider for testing/feedback

Jackie Ng
Hi All,

I've been doing some enhancements to the OGR provider to make it more usable in a MapGuide environment. Apart from some bug fixes, the key enhancement is support for the FDO Expression Engine, which should make MapGuide stylization of features from OGR Feature Sources much more flexible because you now have access to the full suite of FDO functions when building your styles in your Layer Definition.

If you want to try out this new provider you can download it from the links below:

32-bit: http://download.osgeo.org/mapguide/patches/OGRProvider_FDO3.9_RFC69/OGRProvider_x86.zip
64-bit: http://download.osgeo.org/mapguide/patches/OGRProvider_FDO3.9_RFC69/OGRProvider_x64.zip

This provider is only for MapGuide Open Source 2.6. I'd like some feedback if this provider makes working with OGR-supported data sources in MapGuide much easier for you.

- Jackie

Re: New OGR provider for testing/feedback

Crispin_at_Linknode
I don't have any OGR-specific datasets at the moment but had a look through the FDO trac changes and all look very valuable.

In the past OGR could not be used OOTB with GML because there was no default linker to an XML library required for support.  I had to use a custom build provided by a third-party.

If this makes sense, consider changing the build parameters to include XML/GML (KML?) support bu default to support more formats natively.

Re: New OGR provider for testing/feedback

Crispin_at_Linknode
OK,

I tested with a sample GML file and the OGR FeatureSource will not validate because "Xerces or Expat support wasn't configured in".

If there is a rebuild of the FDO provider I think it would be advantageous to support the OGC standard for data exchange GML.  I don't know how simple this is but it is probably more FDO discussion/ticket than MapGuide.  Pls advise.

 Crispin

The remote server returned an error: (559) MgFdoException.:
An exception occurred in FDO component.
Error occurred in Feature Source (Session: {SNIP}): An exception occurred in FDO component.
Connect failed: File C:\Path\File.gml appears to be GML but the GML reader can't
be instantiated, likely because Xerces or Expat support wasn't
configured in.

{SNIP TRACE}

        The remote server returned an error: (559) MgFdoException.

Re: New OGR provider for testing/feedback (GML)

Crispin_at_Linknode
For anyone searching for GML support in MapGuide...

Firstly I know that GML is really a transfer or interchange format and not, as such, a spatial data format suitable for regular access.  It is a verbose XML file with no spatial index.

At present there is no (obvious) third party build for OGR for MapGuide 2.6 because it requires a MSVC 2012 compatible build.

But for MapGuide 2.5.x we can use OGR from the nice folk at GISInternals.
I downloaded 1.9.2 from here: (this is x64)
http://www.gisinternals.com/sdk/PackageList.aspx?file=release-1600-x64-gdal-1-9-2-mapserver-6-2-0.zip

From the downloaded ZIP file copy GDAL19.dll and put into your OSGeo\MapGuide25\Server\Fdo folder (backing up the original first of course).  If you have open GDAL/OGR connections the file will be locked and you will need to stop the MapGuide25 service first.

There are other dependencies (thanks to DEPENDS.EXE) and you should also copy the following files:
  geos_c.dll
  iconv.dll
  libcurl.dll
  libeay32.dll
  libexpat.dll
  libmysql.dll
  libpq.dll
  openjpeg.dll
  proj.dll
  spatialite.dll
  ssleay32.dll
  xerces-c_2_8.dll
  zlib1.dll

You will now be able to create a FeatureCourse connection to a GML file.

This should probably go on the Wiki if it's not there already!

Re: New OGR provider for testing/feedback

Jackie Ng
If a given OGR format is not compiled by default, it won't be compiled in here either.

Though we could try to re-use some of our existing Thirdparty libs to add extra OGR driver support, GML support requires xerces 2.8. MapGuide and FDO both use xerces 3.1.

- Jackie