New GRASS addon i.sentinel.mask is now available (GSoC 2018 project)

New GRASS addon i.sentinel.mask is now available (GSoC 2018 project)

Roberta Fagandini-2
Hi all!
The first version of i.sentinel.mask is now available and can be installed from the official svn repository.
i.sentinel.mask is a module for cloud and shadow masks computation and it is the first step of my GSoC project.

Thanks to those who contributed with their suggestions during this first period of coding!
I will continue keeping the community constantly updated on the progress of the module [0][1].
As always, any feedback is welcome!

Kind regards,

Roberta

Re: [EXTERNAL] New GRASS addon i.sentinel.mask is now available (GSoC 2018 project)

Newcomb, Doug
Roberta,
Looks like it is set up to require administrative access by default?

ERROR: Unable to create 'C:\Program Files\GRASS GIS 7.4.0\docs\rest': [Error 5] Access is denied: 'C:\\Program Files\\GRASS GIS 7.4.0\\docs\\rest'

Thank you for working on this!  I am eager to try it out!

Doug

--
Doug Newcomb
USFWS

Re: [EXTERNAL] New GRASS addon i.sentinel.mask is now available (GSoC 2018 project)

wenzeslaus

On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 12:04 PM, Doug Newcomb <[hidden email]> wrote:

Looks like it is set up to require administrative access by default?

ERROR: Unable to create 'C:\Program Files\GRASS GIS 7.4.0\docs\rest': [Error 5] Access is denied: 'C:\\Program Files\\GRASS GIS 7.4.0\\docs\\rest'

Are you sure it is not a local problem? Works fine with latest trunk on Linux:

grass --tmp-location -c --exec g.extension i.sentinel.mask

Likely not related to i.sentinel.mask. Please, try different module.

Re: [EXTERNAL] New GRASS addon i.sentinel.mask is now available (GSoC 2018 project)

Newcomb, Doug
Trying to reinstall and getting:
 Downloading precompiled GRASS Addons <i.sentinel.mask>...
ERROR: Extension <i.sentinel.mask> not found

Either Roberta has started looking at it  already or it is a local problem.  I will try to chase it down here before I go on vacation.  Either way, I appreciate the work Roberta continues to put into this.  Thanks again Roberta!

Doug

On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 12:17 PM Vaclav Petras <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 12:04 PM, Doug Newcomb <[hidden email]> wrote:

Looks like it is set up to require administrative access by default?

ERROR: Unable to create 'C:\Program Files\GRASS GIS 7.4.0\docs\rest': [Error 5] Access is denied: 'C:\\Program Files\\GRASS GIS 7.4.0\\docs\\rest'

Are you sure it is not a local problem? Works fine with latest trunk on Linux:

grass --tmp-location -c --exec g.extension i.sentinel.mask

Likely not related to i.sentinel.mask. Please, try different module.

--
Doug Newcomb
USFWS
551F Pylon Dr
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 [hidden email]

Re: [EXTERNAL] New GRASS addon i.sentinel.mask is now available (GSoC 2018 project)

Helmut Kudrnovsky
><i.sentinel.mask>...
>ERROR: Extension <i.sentinel.mask> not found

addons for winGRASS are only compiled once a day, you have to try it
tomorrow again.

-----
best regards
Helmut
--
Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Grass-Dev-f3991897.html
best regards
Helmut

Re: [EXTERNAL] New GRASS addon i.sentinel.mask is now available (GSoC 2018 project)

Roberta Fagandini-2
Hi Doug!

Thank you!!
I have just tested the installation on Windows and, as Helmut written, I confirm that it works today!

If you test the module please do not hesitate to send me your feedback about the results, usability or whatever.

Thanks!

Roberta

[...]

Re: New GRASS addon i.sentinel.mask is now available (GSoC 2018 project)

Moritz Lennert
On 13/06/18 17:35, Roberta Fagandini wrote:
> Hi all!
> The first version of i.sentinel.mask is now available and can be
> installed from the official svn repository.
> i.sentinel.mask is a module for cloud and shadow masks computation and
> it is the first step of my GSoC project.

Thank you, Roberta. Great job !

One question: ISTR that you mentioned that the input to this module has
to be atmospherically corrected images, i.e. land surface reflectance.
Is this true ? If yes, then this needs to be mentioned in the man page.

Moritz

Re: New GRASS addon i.sentinel.mask is now available (GSoC 2018 project)

Roberta Fagandini-2
Hi Moritz!

On 13/06/18 17:35, Roberta Fagandini wrote:
Hi all!
The first version of i.sentinel.mask is now available and can be installed from the official svn repository.
i.sentinel.mask is a module for cloud and shadow masks computation and it is the first step of my GSoC project.

Thank you, Roberta. Great job !

Thank you!

One question: ISTR that you mentioned that the input to this module has to be atmospherically corrected images, i.e. land surface reflectance. Is this true ? If yes, then this needs to be mentioned in the man page.

Yes, it's true! I'm going to add it.

Roberta

Moritz

SBL

Re: New GRASS addon i.sentinel.mask is now available (GSoC 2018 project)

SBL

Hi Roberta,

What about topographic correction (i.topo.corr [1])?

Should that be run before as well?

I would assume it has some impact on shadow detection in steeper terrain…

Cheers

Stefan

1: https://grass.osgeo.org/grass74/manuals/i.topo.corr.html

Re: New GRASS addon i.sentinel.mask is now available (GSoC 2018 project)

Roberta Fagandini-2
Hi Stefan!
Certainly applying the topographic correction could be very useful to avoid misclassification.
I did several tests with i.topo.corr but I always got strange results especially in areas with steeper terrain.
I also tested the topographic correction tool implemented in arcsi [0] but again the results were not satisfactory at all. This is why I have not further investigated this issue within my PhD research.

In order to remove misclassifications, e.g. due to topographic shadows, I implemented the shadow mask cleaning procedure. It intersects the rough shadow mask with the cloud mask that is shifted according to the sun position. In this way, all the areas identified as shadows without a corresponding cloud are removed from the final shadow mask.

I'm still very interested in investigating the topographic correction so if you have any suggestion please, let me know!!

Ciao,
Roberta

On 14/06/18 13:01, Roberta Fagandini wrote:
> In order to remove misclassifications, e.g. due to topographic shadows,
> I implemented the shadow mask cleaning procedure. It intersects the
> rough shadow mask with the cloud mask that is shifted according to the
> sun position. In this way, all the areas identified as shadows without a
> corresponding cloud are removed from the final shadow mask.

Maybe it could be made clearer in the manual that the module detects
cloud shadows, not any shadows.

Moritz

SBL

Re: New GRASS addon i.sentinel.mask is now available (GSoC 2018 project)

SBL

i.topo.corr performed quite well for us in the Norwegian mountains with minnaert method…

What options did you try in i.topo.corr?

Cheers

Stefan

Re: New GRASS addon i.sentinel.mask is now available (GSoC 2018 project)

Ivan Barka
Hi Roberta,

thank you for your effort. I tried i.sentinel.mask just now with one Sentinel-2 granule. I have considerably better results with Level 2A Sentinel product, topographically and atmospherically corrected from Level 1C by sen2cor with default settings.

Regarding strange results of i.topo.corr, I also had a problem few months ago. In the first pass, if the resolution of DEM raster differs from current region settings, you can create strange illumination model. The solution was to set region from the DEM (e.g. with 25 m resolution in case of EU-DEM), then to create illumination model with "i.topo.corr -i ..."), restore region settings (e.g. with 30 m for Landsat) and finally to apply topo correction in the second pass.
For some unknown reason, i.topo.corr did not change region settings automatically, despite you can find "The illumination model (cos_i) with flag -i uses the actual region as limits and the resolution of the elevation map." in its manual (Notes section).

Best regards,

Ivan

i.topo.corr performed quite well for us in the Norwegian mountains with minnaert method…

What options did you try in i.topo.corr?

Cheers

Stefan

Re: New GRASS addon i.sentinel.mask is now available (GSoC 2018 project)

Roberta Fagandini-2

Hi Ivan!

Hi Roberta,

thank you for your effort. I tried i.sentinel.mask just now with one Sentinel-2 granule. I have considerably better results with Level 2A Sentinel product, topographically and atmospherically corrected from Level 1C by sen2cor with default settings.

Thank you so much for testing i.sentinel.mask! If it is possible I would be very interested in seeing your results.

Regarding strange results of i.topo.corr, I also had a problem few months ago. In the first pass, if the resolution of DEM raster differs from current region settings, you can create strange illumination model. The solution was to set region from the DEM (e.g. with 25 m resolution in case of EU-DEM), then to create illumination model with "i.topo.corr -i ..."), restore region settings (e.g. with 30 m for Landsat) and finally to apply topo correction in the second pass.
For some unknown reason, i.topo.corr did not change region settings automatically, despite you can find "The illumination model (cos_i) with flag -i uses the actual region as limits and the resolution of the elevation map." in its manual (Notes section).

Interesting! I will test i.topo.corr as you suggest.

Thank you!
Roberta

Best regards,

Ivan