Need a mentor for GSoC parallelization topic

Need a mentor for GSoC parallelization topic

Anna Petrášová
Hi devs,

would you consider being a GSoC mentor for this topic [1]? I suggested this topic in hope this could be impactful for GRASS and fairly accessible for students with CS background.

We need somebody with C experience, ideally also OpenMP experience. I have only limited experience, and I would probably be mentoring a different project, so I can't be the main mentor here.

There is already a student who would be interested in that, so we need to make sure there is somebody who can mentor him.

This is all theoretical so far, OSGeo is not even accepted yet. If you are interested, please also fill this form [2].

Thank you for considering this,

Anna

Re: Need a mentor for GSoC parallelization topic

Huidae Cho
Anna,

It sounds like an interesting topic and I'm open to mentoring him even though I have limited experience with OpenMP. If anyone else has more experience with it and is interested in mentoring, that will be even better.

Best,
Huidae

--
Huidae Cho, Ph.D., GISP, /hidɛ t͡ɕo/, 조희대, 曺喜大
GRASS GIS Developer

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 2:37 PM Huidae Cho <[hidden email]> wrote:
Anna,

It sounds like an interesting topic and I'm open to mentoring him even though I have limited experience with OpenMP. If anyone else has more experience with it and is interested in mentoring, that will be even better.

Thanks Huidae, I think you are more than qualified for being a mentor for this topic. Please put your name on the wiki page and fill out the form. If others would be interested in helping out (e.g. testing, reviews), that would be great, we need a co-mentor and ideally it wouldn't be me, since I may be a mentor elsewhere.

Thanks again!
Anna

[...]

Thanks! I just updated the wiki and filled out the form. Will I receive further communications from OSGeo (e.g., rejected, accepted, how to proceed...)?

Regards,
Huidae

On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 11:51 AM Huidae Cho <[hidden email]> wrote:
Anna,

Thanks! I just updated the wiki and filled out the form. Will I receive further communications from OSGeo (e.g., rejected, accepted, how to proceed...)?

 I believe they will inform us about the OSGeo application status on OSGeo discuss and soc mailing lists. Here is the timeline:

Best,
Anna

[...]

Maris Nartiss

> we need a co-mentor and ideally it wouldn't be me, since I
> may be a mentor elsewhere.

I don't have experience with OpenMP (yet), but if nobody more skilled
steps up, I could be a co-mentor. I already filled the contact form
and added myself (with a ? mark) in the wiki.

> Thanks again!
> Anna

Māris.

Re: Need a mentor for GSoC parallelization topic

Moritz Lennert
Hi Huidae,

Am 18. Februar 2021 06:05:09 MEZ schrieb Huidae Cho <[hidden email]>:
>Thanks. I'm not familiar with the process. The deadline for mentoring
>organization applications is approaching. Have we already applied with all
>those project ideas in the wiki (one application per organization I guess,
>not per project idea)?

OSGeo is the organization applying. Once it is accepted we will know for how many slots and once the student application period is over, there will be an arbitration within OSGeo about the distribution of these slots among the OSGeo projects.

Moritz

On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 2:35 AM Maris Nartiss <[hidden email]> wrote:

> we need a co-mentor and ideally it wouldn't be me, since I
> may be a mentor elsewhere.

I don't have experience with OpenMP (yet), but if nobody more skilled
steps up, I could be a co-mentor. I already filled the contact form
and added myself (with a ? mark) in the wiki.

Great, thanks Maris!

> Thanks again!
> Anna

Māris.