National Positional Accuracy Standards for Digital Geospatial Data

National Positional Accuracy Standards for Digital Geospatial Data

Madodomzi Mafanya
Hi List,

I once asked this question in a GISSA meeting sometime in 2015. With regards to 'strictly' rasterized digital geospatial data (e.g. DTMs and Orthomosaics), do we have a South African national positional accuracy standard? I think the rapid recent technological advancements in UAV and GNSS/RTK technology necessitates this question.

If we do have a standard, where do I find it?

ASPRS has something of this nature but are we looking into adopting some of this and making it mandatory for the sake of our profession?

Regards,

Muzi

Re: National Positional Accuracy Standards for DigitalGeospatial Data

Terence Turnbull

Dear Muzi

I am not aware of a standard, (good question) however all I know is that you should declare your positional accuracy on your product. The positional accuracy is dealt with on a case by case basis depending on the clients requirements.

My warmest regards

Lt Col T.V. Turnbull
SO1 GEOMATICS

Tel: 084 206 8650
Email: [hidden email]
Office DW Fmn: 012 674 4283
Office Co-ord: 25°47'33.60"S
28° 8'53.49"E

Re: National Positional Accuracy Standards for DigitalGeospatial Data

Aslam Parker-2

NGI has a standard for its DEM s that should be a good starting point

Check out technical docs section
www.ngi.gov.za

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 8:15 AM +0200, "Terence Turnbull" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear Muzi

I am not aware of a standard, (good question) however all I know is that you should declare your positional accuracy on your product. The positional accuracy is dealt with on a case by case basis depending on the clients requirements.

My warmest regards

Lt Col T.V. Turnbull
SO1 GEOMATICS

Tel: 084 206 8650
Email: [hidden email]
Office DW Fmn: 012 674 4283
Office Co-ord: 25°47'33.60"S
28° 8'53.49"E

Re: National Positional Accuracy Standards for DigitalGeospatial Data

Aslam Parker-2

Sorry

It’s ngi.gov.za   And not www.ngi.gov.za