Naive question on MSS data

Neel Smith
I'm a new GRASS user -- please pardon me if this is an obvious, or frequent
question, but I can't seem to find an answer in the documentation or
tutorials for GRASS 4.0.

I've got MSS data I want to bring into a GRASS database.  Because of the
configuration of our system here, I don't have direct access to the tape
they came on:  instead, system manager moved the files from tape to
disk with dd.  i.tape.mss.h extracts some information if given the
file name in place of the device name, but never seems to end (as if
it never finds EOF?);  similarly, i.tape.mss doesn't get anywhere if I
try to sneak the file name in place of a tape drive name.  Is there some
better way to bring this data into my database?

Thanks for any help.  Please send to me personally if this is an idiotic
question the whole list shouldn't be bothered with.

Neel Smith
Bowdoin College

Re: Naive question on MSS data

Michael Shapiro-3
|I've got MSS data I want to bring into a GRASS database.  Because of the
|configuration of our system here, I don't have direct access to the tape
|they came on:  instead, system manager moved the files from tape to
|disk with dd.  i.tape.mss.h extracts some information if given the
|file name in place of the device name, but never seems to end (as if
|it never finds EOF?);  similarly, i.tape.mss doesn't get anywhere if I
|try to sneak the file name in place of a tape drive name.  Is there some
|better way to bring this data into my database?

These programs were written assuming 9track tape - and it is a major
assumption. You won't be able to use i.tape.mss on a file. However, with
some experimentation you could use i.tape.other on the file. You will
have to "figure" out what size a record is so you can tell i.tape.other
how to read the file and extract clean rows. I don't know the actual
layout of the mss data or I would tell you what numbers to plug in.

Michael