NOTICE: Hotmail and Live account email is bounced

NOTICE: Hotmail and Live account email is bounced

mhw-at-yg
Hi Folks,

I'm sorry to report that Microsoft Hotmail and Live have banned many if not all Osgeo mailing lists. The reason cited includes "Emails rejected by Outlook for policy reasons. A block has been placed against your IP address because we have received complaints concerning emails coming from that IP address".

The Osgeo sys admins are aware of the issue and seeing what can be done to get us removed from the block, but I've no idea how long that will take, or even if it will be successful.

On our end, after Mailman receives too many notices of failed messages that email address is placed on a "no mail" list. So, even if/when the mixup with Microsoft is fixed those accounts will still not receive mail until that  `nomail` flag is changed.

Users can change their email address their subscriber options page, http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/options/osgeo4w-dev. (The nomail flag can also be reset here.)

I will email this notice directly to those users who I know are affected, but don't know if that will cover everyone.

best regards,
--
matt wilkie
Geomatics Analyst
-Matt

Re: NOTICE: Hotmail and Live account email is bounced

mhw-at-yg
Hi Folks,

Something Hamish over in the osgeo sys-admin mailing list sugggests
which I think is relevant here too (urls changed for ours):

    /Until Hotmail get this sorted out I don't think there's too much point/
    /in trying to resubscribe since it will just happen again. For now I'd/
    /suggest to follow the mailing list on Nabble or Gmane, or try/
    /subscribing using another email provider./
    //
    /http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.osgeo.osgeo4w/
    /http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/osgeo4w-dev-OSGeo-Win32-Installer-List-f3765018.html/

    /sorry for the inconvenience./

//

matt wilkie
Geomatics Analyst
Information Management and Technology
Yukon Department of Environment
867-667-8133 Tel * 867-393-7003 Fax
> rejected by Outlook for policy reasons. A block has been placed
> against your IP address because we have received complaints concerning
> emails coming from that IP address"/.
>
> The Osgeo sys admins are aware of the issue and seeing what can be
> done to get us removed from the block, but I've no idea how long that
> will take, or even if it will be successful.
>
> On our end, after Mailman receives too many notices of failed messages
> that email address is placed on a "no mail" list. So, even if/when the
> mixup with Microsoft is fixed those accounts will still not receive
> mail until that  `nomail` flag is changed.
>
> Users can change their email address their subscriber options page,
> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/options/osgeo4w-dev. (The nomail flag
> can also be reset here.)
>
> I will email this notice directly to those users who I know are
> affected, but don't know if that will cover everyone.
>
> best regards,
> --
> matt wilkie
> Geomatics Analyst
> Information Management and Technology
> Yukon Department of Environment
> 10 Burns Road * Whitehorse, Yukon * Y1A 4Y9
> 867-667-8133 Tel * 867-393-7003 Fax
> http://environmentyukon.gov.yk.ca/geomatics/
-Matt