NEW FOSS4G Conference Registration History Spreadsheet

NEW FOSS4G Conference Registration History Spreadsheet

michael terner-2
Conference Dev:
Early in our preparations for Boston, several people pointed us to this spreadsheet that is linked from the OSGeo cookbook via the "Organizing FOSS4G" section in the Wiki. This spreadsheet was invaluable for our planning in that it helped us understand historic registration as well as the number of people who signed up early bird and the overall cadence of when/how many people registered over time.

This spreadsheet includes data going back to Lausanne in 2016, but you will note that the last entry in this spreadsheet is from Seoul in 2015. In working with this sheet I learned that Cameron Shorter was involved in curating it and he and I have had several email conversations over the last 18 months on my efforts to create a new, and (hopefully) improved version of this registration tracking spreadsheet which is now current through 2018. Indeed, we both agreed that modernization was called for; and then about 1 month ago Mark Iliffe visited me and Guido in Boston and we worked with him to add the Dar es Salaam data. With that update, we agree, and hope that this sheet is now ready for public consumption. And, we certainly hope that it will assist future FOSS4G teams in the way the original sheet helped us and many other FOSS4G LOCs.
  • Improvements:
    • The original sheet had summary statistics on a "front tab" called RegDate, and that page was getting unruly with 48 columns holding data; and an additional 17 tabs holding backup information. The new design retains all of the information from the RegDate tab with a new organization:
      • A Summary Tab at the front of the sheet
      • An "Event Tab" for each conference
    • Ultimately, it is up to the event team to determine which data are present in their own tab, and there was already some variation from team to team. But, hopefully going forward teams can, at least, attempt to gather the information in the Summary Tab, i.e., info on:
      • Number of early bird registrations
      • Number of host-country registrations
      • Number of international registrations
    • The data are updated through Dar es Salaam, 2018. However, Bonn, 2016, has never submitted their data (to either sheet) and their tab androw in the summary are currently empty. I have also created placeholder tabs for both Bucharest and Calgary.
    • As with the previous incarnation of this spreadsheet, this is a Google Sheet stored in Google Drive with the sharing privileges of "Anyone with link can view."
  • Next steps:
    • Get the Conference Dev committee's agreement that this is a useful evolution of registration tracking and have the sheet linked from the Cookbook/Wiki.
    • Come to some agreement on how this will be maintained over the long haul (e.g., who gets "write access"). I am happy to care-take this for the short/medium term, including keeping it in a stable, paid Google Drive folder that I own/control. And, when appropriate, sharing broader privileges to individuals.
Feed back is most welcome. Indeed, the data contributed by all past teams tells an interesting and compelling story of FOSS4G's evolution over the last 12 years.

Please advise, and all the best...
MT
--
Michael Terner
(M) 978-631-6602

Re: NEW FOSS4G Conference Registration History Spreadsheet

stevenfeldman
Great work Michael and Guido

We could consider making provision of this data a requirement in the FOSS4G RfP doc.
______
Steven

Unusual maps in strange places -  mappery.org

Subscribe to my weekly “Maps in the Wild” newsletter