NCSU: Geospatial data visualization and lidar point cloud processing (Aug 2, Raleigh)

NCSU: Geospatial data visualization and lidar point cloud processing (Aug 2, Raleigh)

wenzeslaus
Center for Geospatial Analytics at North Carolina State University announces a summer Geospatial Studio featuring Geospatial data visualization and lidar point cloud processing using Blender and GRASS GIS (see full descriptions of the sessions below).

Payam Tabrizian, Anna Petrasova, Vaclav Petras, and Helena Mitasova will lead hands-on sessions during a Summer Geospatial Studio on Wednesday, August 2 in Jordan Hall, room 5103 (2800 Faucette Boulevard, Raleigh).

Lunch will be provided. Bring your laptop and feel free to come for the whole day or just a part of it.

9:00am-11:30am (2.5 hour) Introduction to geospatial data visualization in Blender
11:30am-12:30pm (1 hour) Lunch break
12:30pm-2:30pm (2 hours) Introduction to GRASS GIS
2:30pm-3:00pm (30 minutes) Break
3:00pm-5:00pm (2 hours) Lidar point cloud processing in GRASS GIS

Please RSVP using this form: https://goo.gl/forms/oo9OzyODhoUvA1lg2

Introduction to geospatial data visualization in Blender: In this hands-on workshop we will explore how to automate importing and processing of various types of geospatial data using Blender, an open-source 3D modeling and game engine software. We will start with a brief and focused introduction into Blender graphical user interface (GUI), Python API, as well as the GIS add-on. Once we import our GIS data into Blender, we will go over the techniques (both with GUI and command line) to increase the realism of our 3D world through applying textures, shading, and lighting.

Introduction to GRASS GIS: We will go through simple examples of vector, raster, and image processing functionality and we will try couple of new and old tools such as vector network analysis or image segmentation which might be the reason you want to use GRASS GIS. We aim this workshop at absolute beginners without prior knowledge of GRASS GIS, but we hope it can be useful also to current users looking for deeper understanding of basic concepts or the curious ones who want to try the latest additions to GRASS GIS.

Lidar point cloud processing in GRASS GIS: We will explore the properties of the point cloud, interpolate surfaces, and perform advanced terrain analyses to detect landforms and artifacts. We will go through several terrain 2D and 3D visualization techniques to get more information out of the data and finish with vegetation analysis.