Multiple geoserver / or multiple tomcats?

Multiple geoserver / or multiple tomcats?

robertdbuckley
Hi,

I would like to have two geoserver instances running on one linux ubuntu server. The reason is to be able to offer a wms service for a particular project without the clutter of other layers in the wmsgetcapabilities doc. I would like to just offer a series of layers 20 or so, which will have one organised nomenclature thus making it easier to identify the layers one wants. I find one of the most frustrating things about wmsgetcapabilities docs is the amount of layer info which one has to rumage through.

Anyway...My solution is to install either

1. geoserver again inside tomcat6, or
2. Tomcat6 again and put another geoserver inside

Would anyone have any experience of the best solution?

thanks,

Robert

Yours with thanks, Robert Buckley System: Linux Ubuntu 10.04 Server / Tomcat6 / Geoserver 2.1.2 / GeoWebCache 1.2.6)

Re: Multiple geoserver / or multiple tomcats?

robertdbuckley
Thanks for the reply.

The problem with having a shared geoserver_datadir is that I will then inherit all of the preconfigured layers from the first instance! This is exactly what I do not want...ie. lots of layers in my wmsGetCapabilities doc.

What is the problem with dropping another geoserver .war file into tomcat, renaming it "geoserver2", changing the default port to :8181 and giving it a different datadir directory?

cheers,

Rob

you need to run geoserver on separate instances of tomcat. If you are
only reading and showing maps, then you ought to use the same data
directory for both geoservers, however if you plan to use the
integrated GWC you will need to setup a separate cache directory for
one one the geoserver by setting environment like
-DGEOWEBCACHE_CACHE_DIR=<path to folder with geowebcache.xml>

regards,
Imran

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 10:11 AM, Robert Buckley
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to have two geoserver instances running on one linux ubuntu
> server. The reason is to be able to offer a wms service for a particular
> project without the clutter of other layers in the wmsgetcapabilities doc. I
> would like to just offer a series of layers 20 or so, which will have one
> organised nomenclature thus making it easier to identify the layers one
> wants. I find one of the most frustrating things about wmsgetcapabilities
> docs is the amount of layer info which one has to rumage through.
>
> Anyway...My solution is to install either
>
> 1. geoserver again inside tomcat6, or
> 2. Tomcat6 again and put another geoserver inside
>
> Would anyone have any experience of the best solution?
>
> thanks,
>
> Robert

I.R

Yours with thanks, Robert Buckley System: Linux Ubuntu 10.04 Server / Tomcat6 / Geoserver 2.1.2 / GeoWebCache 1.2.6)

Re: Multiple geoserver / or multiple tomcats?

robertdbuckley
ok.

So how do I reduce the number of configured layers for one instance of geoserver and not for the other if they both use the same datadir?

cheers,

Rob

you can have it anyway you like but its better you point both of them
to the same data directory, that way you will have to maintain one
data directory for both, the problem will only come when using cached
layers that is if you are using it.

regards,
Imran

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 10:33 AM, Robert Buckley
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> The problem with having a shared geoserver_datadir is that I will then
> inherit all of the preconfigured layers from the first instance! This is
> exactly what I do not want...ie. lots of layers in my wmsGetCapabilities
> doc.
>
> What is the problem with dropping another geoserver .war file into tomcat,
> renaming it "geoserver2", changing the default port to :8181 and giving it a
> different datadir directory?
>
> cheers,
>
> Rob
>

> ________________________________

I.R

Yours with thanks, Robert Buckley System: Linux Ubuntu 10.04 Server / Tomcat6 / Geoserver 2.1.2 / GeoWebCache 1.2.6)

Re: Multiple geoserver / or multiple tomcats?

Mika Lehtonen

 Hi Robert,
 you can have have several Geoserver instances in same Tomcat or at
 least that was the case with the 1.7 branch. There may be some problems
 with GWC and maybe with some other things, but besides that, there
 shouldn't be any major obstacles. The port is same for all instances,
 only instance name must be different.

 - mika -

 On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 06:33:48 +0100 (BST), Robert Buckley
 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> The problem with having a shared geoserver_datadir is that I will
> then inherit all of the preconfigured layers from the first instance!
> This is exactly what I do not want...ie. lots of layers in my
> wmsGetCapabilities doc.
>
> What is the problem with dropping another geoserver .war file into
> tomcat, renaming it "geoserver2", changing the default port to :8181
> and giving it a different datadir directory?
>
> cheers,
>
> Rob
>
> -------------------------
>  VON: Imran Rajjad
>  AN: Robert Buckley
>  GESENDET: 7:19 Dienstag, 5.Juni 2012
>  BETREFF: Re: [Geoserver-users] Multiple geoserver / or multiple
> tomcats?
>
> Hi,
>
> you need to run geoserver on separate instances of tomcat. If you are
> only reading and showing maps, then you ought to use the same data
> directory for both geoservers, however if you plan to use the
> integrated GWC you will need to setup a separate cache directory for
> one one the geoserver by setting environment like
> -DGEOWEBCACHE_CACHE_DIR=
>
> regards,
> Imran
>
> On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 10:11 AM, Robert Buckley
>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to have two geoserver instances running on one linux
> ubuntu
>> server. The reason is to be able to offer a wms service for a
> particular
>> project without the clutter of other layers in the
> wmsgetcapabilities doc. I
>> would like to just offer a series of layers 20 or so, which will
> have one
>> organised nomenclature thus making it easier to identify the layers
> one
>> wants. I find one of the most frustrating things about
> wmsgetcapabilities
>> docs is the amount of layer info which one has to rumage through.
>>
>> Anyway...My solution is to install either
>>
>> 1. geoserver again inside tomcat6, or
>> 2. Tomcat6 again and put another geoserver inside
>>
>> Would anyone have any experience of the best solution?
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> Robert

>> Live Security Virtual Conference
>> threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond.
> Discussions
>> will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in
> malware
> [2]

Re: Multiple geoserver / or multiple tomcats?

robertdbuckley

Thanks.

I am using gwc for my first instance but not necessarily for my second. Would a multiple geoserver architecture break GWC for the first instance of geoserver, the second, or both? Is there a way to disconfigure/remove gwc from the second instance?

thanks,

Rob

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> The problem with having a shared geoserver_datadir is that I will
> then inherit all of the preconfigured layers from the first instance!
> This is exactly what I do not want...ie. lots of layers in my
> wmsGetCapabilities doc.
>
> What is the problem with dropping another geoserver .war file into
> tomcat, renaming it "geoserver2", changing the default port to :8181
> and giving it a different datadir directory?
>
> cheers,
>
> Rob
>
> -------------------------
>  VON: Imran Rajjad
>  AN: Robert Buckley
>  GESENDET: 7:19 Dienstag, 5.Juni 2012
>  BETREFF: Re: [Geoserver-users] Multiple geoserver / or multiple
> tomcats?
>
> Hi,
>
> you need to run geoserver on separate instances of tomcat. If you are
> only reading and showing maps, then you ought to use the same data
> directory for both geoservers, however if you plan to use the
> integrated GWC you will need to setup a separate cache directory for
> one one the geoserver by setting environment like
> -DGEOWEBCACHE_CACHE_DIR=
>
> regards,
> Imran
>
> On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 10:11 AM, Robert Buckley
>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to have two geoserver instances running on one linux
> ubuntu
>> server. The reason is to be able to offer a wms service for a
> particular
>> project without the clutter of other layers in the
> wmsgetcapabilities doc. I
>> would like to just offer a series of layers 20 or so, which will
> have one
>> organised nomenclature thus making it easier to identify the layers
> one
>> wants. I find one of the most frustrating things about
> wmsgetcapabilities
>> docs is the amount of layer info which one has to rumage through.
>>
>> Anyway...My solution is to install either
>>
>> 1. geoserver again inside tomcat6, or
>> 2. Tomcat6 again and put another geoserver inside
>>
>> Would anyone have any experience of the best solution?
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> Robert

>> Live Security Virtual Conference
>> threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond.
> Discussions
>> will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in
> malware
> [2]

Yours with thanks, Robert Buckley System: Linux Ubuntu 10.04 Server / Tomcat6 / Geoserver 2.1.2 / GeoWebCache 1.2.6)

Re: Multiple geoserver / or multiple tomcats?

geowolf
On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 7:11 AM, Robert Buckley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to have two geoserver instances running on one linux ubuntu
> server. The reason is to be able to offer a wms service for a particular
> project without the clutter of other layers in the wmsgetcapabilities doc. I
> would like to just offer a series of layers 20 or so, which will have one
> organised nomenclature thus making it easier to identify the layers one
> wants. I find one of the most frustrating things about wmsgetcapabilities
> docs is the amount of layer info which one has to rumage through.
>
> Anyway...My solution is to install either
>
> 1. geoserver again inside tomcat6, or
> 2. Tomcat6 again and put another geoserver inside

How about using a single GeoServer and per workspace services?
http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/services/virtual-services.html

Cheers
Andrea

--
Ing. Andrea Aime
GeoSolutions S.A.S.

Via Poggio alle Viti 1187
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy

phone: +39 0584 962313
fax:      +39 0584 962313
mob:    +39 339 8844549

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://geo-solutions.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/GeoSolutionsIT
http://www.linkedin.com/in/andreaaime
http://twitter.com/geowolf

Re: Multiple geoserver / or multiple tomcats?

Mika Lehtonen

 I think, if there is problems with GWC, you can remove the gwc.jar from
 the instance you wouldn't want to use it in.
 But I'm not 100% sure, if I'm right on these issues. I have had, if I
 recall right, some 5-6 instances of Geoserver in same Tomcat few years
 back, but they were 1.7 branch. So maybe things have changed.. though I
 doubt.

 - mika -

 On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 07:02:44 +0100 (BST), Robert Buckley
 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> would like to just offer a series of layers 20 or so, which will
>> have one
>>> organised nomenclature thus making it easier to identify the
> layers
>> one
>>> wants. I find one of the most frustrating things about
>> wmsgetcapabilities
>>> docs is the amount of layer info which one has to rumage through.
>>>
>>> Anyway...My solution is to install either
>>>
>>> 1. geoserver again inside tomcat6, or
>>> 2. Tomcat6 again and put another geoserver inside
>>>
>>> Would anyone have any experience of the best solution?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>>
>>> Robert

>>> Live Security Virtual Conference
>>> threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond.
>> Discussions
>>> will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in

Re: Multiple geoserver / or multiple tomcats?: SOLVED

robertdbuckley
Thanks Andreas...this is exactly what I was trying to do.

I had no idea that Geoserver could be so flexible!

Kind regards,

Robert

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 7:11 AM, Robert Buckley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to have two geoserver instances running on one linux ubuntu
> server. The reason is to be able to offer a wms service for a particular
> project without the clutter of other layers in the wmsgetcapabilities doc. I
> would like to just offer a series of layers 20 or so, which will have one
> organised nomenclature thus making it easier to identify the layers one
> wants. I find one of the most frustrating things about wmsgetcapabilities
> docs is the amount of layer info which one has to rumage through.
>
> Anyway...My solution is to install either
>
> 1. geoserver again inside tomcat6, or
> 2. Tomcat6 again and put another geoserver inside

How about using a single GeoServer and per workspace services?
http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/services/virtual-services.html

Cheers
Andrea

--
Ing. Andrea Aime
GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Tech lead

Via Poggio alle Viti 1187
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy

phone: +39 0584 962313
fax:      +39 0584 962313
mob:    +39 339 8844549

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://geo-solutions.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/GeoSolutionsIT
http://www.linkedin.com/in/andreaaime
http://twitter.com/geowolf

Yours with thanks, Robert Buckley System: Linux Ubuntu 10.04 Server / Tomcat6 / Geoserver 2.1.2 / GeoWebCache 1.2.6)

Re: Multiple geoserver / or multiple tomcats?: SOLVED

robertdbuckley
"Andrea"...not Andreas....sorry. Please delete my last post

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 7:11 AM, Robert Buckley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to have two geoserver instances running on one linux ubuntu
> server. The reason is to be able to offer a wms service for a particular
> project without the clutter of other layers in the wmsgetcapabilities doc. I
> would like to just offer a series of layers 20 or so, which will have one
> organised nomenclature thus making it easier to identify the layers one
> wants. I find one of the most frustrating things about wmsgetcapabilities
> docs is the amount of layer info which one has to rumage through.
>
> Anyway...My solution is to install either
>
> 1. geoserver again inside tomcat6, or
> 2. Tomcat6 again and put another geoserver inside

How about using a single GeoServer and per workspace services?
http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/services/virtual-services.html

Cheers
Andrea

--
Ing. Andrea Aime
GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Tech lead

Via Poggio alle Viti 1187
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy

phone: +39 0584 962313
fax:      +39 0584 962313
mob:    +39 339 8844549

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://geo-solutions.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/GeoSolutionsIT
http://www.linkedin.com/in/andreaaime
http://twitter.com/geowolf

Yours with thanks, Robert Buckley System: Linux Ubuntu 10.04 Server / Tomcat6 / Geoserver 2.1.2 / GeoWebCache 1.2.6)

Re: Multiple geoserver / or multiple tomcats?

garey
Andrea -

     I have some layers that I want to protect with our local
centralized authentication server (CAS) and some layers that I don't. My
solution is to install two Geoserver instances in one Tomcat and allow
access to one only through a CAS-protected Apache httpd with mod_jk.
Each Geoserver has it's own data directory.

     Besides the problem of how to restrict access to the secured
Geoserver via Tomcat's port, are there any problems with running two
Geoservers in one tomcat instance? The preceding posts in this thread
sounded unsure.

Garey Mills

--
Garey Mills
Library Systems Office

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 6:05 PM, Garey Mills <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Andrea -
>
>    I have some layers that I want to protect with our local centralized
> authentication server (CAS) and some layers that I don't. My solution is to
> install two Geoserver instances in one Tomcat and allow access to one only
> through a CAS-protected Apache httpd with mod_jk. Each Geoserver has it's
> own data directory.
>
>    Besides the problem of how to restrict access to the secured Geoserver
> via Tomcat's port, are there any problems with running two Geoservers in one
> tomcat instance? The preceding posts in this thread sounded unsure.

Permgen exhaustion can be a problem, GeoServer uses a ton of it because it's
made of a very large amount of classes.
For reasons we could not determine, it also leask permgen, that, is,
if you redeploy
GeoServer without restarting tomcat the permgen memory used by GeoServer
is not released.

This means you cannot redeploy the two GeoServer instances independently,
since the safe way to do that is to restart Tomcat.

Another issue is vector rendering scalability, the Sun/Oracle java2d
implementation
is fast but scales poorly, and the synchronization lock is held at the
JVM level,
meaning that if you run two GeoServer in the same process they will synch out
each other.
That's why we normally deploy one Tomcat + GeoServer every 2 or 4
available cores,
to ensure better scalability (see this presentation for details:
http://demo.geo-solutions.it/share/foss4g2011/gs_steroids_sgiannec_foss4g2011.pdf)

Cheers
Andrea