Multiple Vector Layers

dnbphysicist
Hello all,

I have multiple vector layers on my map, one being just a regular layer I plot GeoJSON to, while the others are KML layers. I have them both using the same OpenLayers.Control.SelectFeature object, and I noticed a 'phantom' layer that is now in the map.layers property called 'openlayers.control.selectfeature_<some number>_container'. My question is, what is this layer? It seems to effect the z indexing of the KML layers, and by that I mean, if the z index of the container is under a raster layer, the KML features are also underneath. Does that make sense?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Multiple Vector Layers

Alexandre Dubé
Hi Robert,

  This layer is an OpenLayers.Layer.Vector.RootContainer object.  It gets automatically created when you specify an array of layers to the SelectFeature control.  In short, it was created to solve the "I can't click on vectors if they are not in the topmost layer" issue.  You can read more about this in following ticket :

    http://trac.osgeo.org/openlayers/ticket/1666

HTH,

Alexandre

On 13-02-26 02:27 PM, Rob Hyx wrote:
Hello all,

I have multiple vector layers on my map, one being just a regular layer I plot GeoJSON to, while the others are KML layers. I have them both using the same OpenLayers.Control.SelectFeature object, and I noticed a 'phantom' layer that is now in the map.layers property called 'openlayers.control.selectfeature_<some number>_container'. My question is, what is this layer? It seems to effect the z indexing of the KML layers, and by that I mean, if the z index of the container is under a raster layer, the KML features are also underneath. Does that make sense?

Thanks in advance!

Alexandre Dubé
Mapgears
www.mapgears.com

Re: Multiple Vector Layers

Alexandre Dubé
Hi,

  The layers order within the container shouldn't be affected by it and yes, if that layer container should be the top-most layer if your vector layers are added last (please, someone correct me if I'm wrong).

  You could provide some code or a live example if you have an issue with this.  It would be easier for us to help more.

Regards,

Alexandre

--
Alexandre Dubé
Mapgears

Re: Multiple Vector Layers

Xavier Mamano (jorix)
Hi Robert,

See also: https://github.com/openlayers/openlayers/issues/661

Xavier Mamano

dnbphysicist wrote
Thanks Alexandre. So my next question is, should this layer effect the z
index of the layers it 'contains'? It seems that unless it's the top most
layer (the container), that the vector layers are pushed below the other
WMS layers.

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 8:22 AM, Alexandre Dubé <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Hi Robert,
>
>   This layer is an OpenLayers.Layer.Vector.RootContainer object.  It gets
> automatically created when you specify an array of layers to the
> SelectFeature control.  In short, it was created to solve the "I can't
> click on vectors if they are not in the topmost layer" issue.  You can read
> more about this in following ticket :
>
>     http://trac.osgeo.org/openlayers/ticket/1666
>
> HTH,
>
> Alexandre
>

> On 13-02-26 02:27 PM, Rob Hyx wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> I have multiple vector layers on my map, one being just a regular layer I
> plot GeoJSON to, while the others are KML layers. I have them both using
> the same OpenLayers.Control.SelectFeature object, and I noticed a 'phantom'
> layer that is now in the map.layers property called
> 'openlayers.control.selectfeature_<some number>_container'. My question is,
> what is this layer? It seems to effect the z indexing of the KML layers,
> and by that I mean, if the z index of the container is under a raster
> layer, the KML features are also underneath. Does that make sense?
>
> Thanks in advance!

> Alexandre Dubé
> Mapgearswww.mapgears.com

*HYX*