Motion to sponsor FOSS4G 2018 at the highest level

Motion to sponsor FOSS4G 2018 at the highest level

jmckenna
Administrator
Dear fellow Board members,

I have started a vote on Loomio at:
https://www.loomio.org/p/DI8cUGku/motion-to-sponsor-foss4g-2018-at-the-highest-sponsorship-level-tanzanite-30-000usd-

As described there, this motion is to increase OSGeo's sponsorship of
the FOSS4G 2018 event, to the highest level of sponsorship. The funding
can be used by the local committee at their discretion, and ensures top
visibility for OSGeo at its own conference.

FOSS4G 2018 is a unique situation, and I believe the OSGeo Board must
show its utmost support to the organizers.

I will start with my +1

Thanks,

-jeff

Re: Motion to sponsor FOSS4G 2018 at the highest level

Venkatesh Raghavan-2
FOSS4G-Dar-e-Salam won the bid by stating that they have
firm commitment from World Bank for supporting the
conference with 100K of funds [1]. That was one of the
reason for the other bid from Asia to drop out after
the first round [2].

So, why does FOSS4G-Dar-e-Salam request for sponsorship
from OSGeo foundation if they have already secured 100K (that
they highlighted during the the bid?

And, why must the OSGeo Foundation be sponsoring the conference
that they have created?

And, why do workshop presenters have to pay for training people
(whom they are attracting) at FOSS4G event?

Something beyond my understanding.

Venka

[1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G2018_Q%26A_Dar_es_Salaam
[2]
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2016-November/004136.html

On 6/20/2018 11:04 PM, Jeff McKenna wrote:

> Dear fellow Board members,
>
> I have started a vote on Loomio at:
> https://www.loomio.org/p/DI8cUGku/motion-to-sponsor-foss4g-2018-at-the-highest-sponsorship-level-tanzanite-30-000usd-
>

> As described there, this motion is to increase OSGeo's sponsorship of
> the FOSS4G 2018 event, to the highest level of sponsorship. The funding
> can be used by the local committee at their discretion, and ensures top
> visibility for OSGeo at its own conference.
>
> FOSS4G 2018 is a unique situation, and I believe the OSGeo Board must
> show its utmost support to the organizers.
>
> I will start with my +1
>
> Thanks,
>
> -jeff

Re: Motion to sponsor FOSS4G 2018 at the highest level

Mark Iliffe-2
Hi Venka,

These are all good questions. With the World Bank sponsorship, this enables us to offset a significant proportion of the venue costs ($100k out of $150k), and in effect has enabled us to bring 51 TGP attendees in place of 10. The fees for venue, accommodation, food and drink for FOSS4G run to around $350k - these are higher than originally budgeted for, in part due to rising costs due to various economic situations and us making decisions about how to widen access (charging $75 per workshop, not $100 for example). Additional sponsorship from OSGeo will enable access to the conference from local attendees, bring videoing of key sessions.

With all of this, I'd question openly about who we are doing this conference for, whether for the existing OSGeo community, or the one yet to be developed? In Africa, the gulf between those with the means to attend such conferences is far out of the reach of the common developer/small business where our tools can have the greatest economical and societal impact. This fundamentally changes the dynamics in play here. In sponsoring "the conference [OSGeo] has created" OSGeo will widen the participation of the East African community even further. I would also stress that my LOC has not taken one cent of financial support from OSGeo to this point - we will have a conference for our attendees through completely independently raised funding - granted using the brand of OSGeo, but unfortunately branding alone does not put on a conference.

I believe that what we, and geo at large can have a transformational impact for East Africa, hence volunteering to put this together. I've never chaired a FOSS4G before and I doubt I will again, someone else can have the honour! But, I firmly believe the decisions that have been made are made in the best interests of the conference and the mission that we articulated to the community in our proposal.  This is an atypical FOSS4G with our location and mission and there are many unique aspects to this conference ranging from mission to financing. We are working hard to get it right, and to put on the best FOSS4G yet, with a unique and distinct African flavor!

In terms of OSGeo sponsorship, we're 67 days away. This means that I can articulate in direct terms the opportunity for the board as a whole. OSGeo sponsorship will provide:

- Up-to 75 further attendees + from economically disadvantaged circumstances;
- An expansion of the Travel Grant Programme;
- Video recording of keynotes and other sessions;

I hope that clarifies some of the opportunity here. As ever, I remain at the disposal of the board to answer any questions or queries that may arise.

Best,

Mark

On 20 June 2018 at 10:30, Venka <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

delawen
Hi,

Sounds really good. If it were my money I would vote yes without thinking. (And no, I don't have that much money, don't try! :) )

But on the other hand, this is unplanned cost. Heartily I don't know what to vote for this poll.

On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 6:33 PM, Mark Iliffe <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Helena Mitasova-7
Jeff, board members,

does this motion mean that we should vote about upgrading our sponsorship from Platinum to Tanzanite or are we settled on the Platinum? I don't feel I have enough information about the current
status of our contributions to FOSS4G 2018 and its relation
to the annual and long term budget to vote.

Thank you, Helena

Helena Mitasova
Professor, Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
Faculty Fellow, Center for Geospatial Analytics
North Carolina State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-8208

ph: 919-513-1327 (no voicemail)
fax 919 515-7802

On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 10:04 AM, Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear fellow Board members,

I have started a vote on Loomio at: https://www.loomio.org/p/DI8cUGku/motion-to-sponsor-foss4g-2018-at-the-highest-sponsorship-level-tanzanite-30-000usd-

As described there, this motion is to increase OSGeo's sponsorship of the FOSS4G 2018 event, to the highest level of sponsorship. The funding can be used by the local committee at their discretion, and ensures top visibility for OSGeo at its own conference.

FOSS4G 2018 is a unique situation, and I believe the OSGeo Board must show its utmost support to the organizers.

I will start with my +1

Thanks,

-jeff

Re: Motion to sponsor FOSS4G 2018 at the highest level

jmckenna
Administrator
Hi Helena,

Yes this motion is to increase the sponsorship level to Tanzanite (the
highest level), in order to show our strong support for the Dar team,
and to promote OSGeo at its own event.  -jeff

On 2018-06-21 10:24 AM, Helena Mitasova wrote:

> Jeff, board members,
>
> does this motion mean that we should vote about upgrading our
> sponsorship from Platinum to Tanzanite or are we settled on the
> Platinum? I don't feel I have enough information about the current
> status of our contributions to FOSS4G 2018 and its relation
> to the annual and long term budget to vote.
>
> Thank you, Helena
>
> Helena Mitasova
> Professor, Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
> Faculty Fellow, Center for Geospatial Analytics
> North Carolina State University
> Raleigh, NC 27695-8208
> http://www4.ncsu.edu/~hmitaso/
> http://geospatial.ncsu.edu/osgeorel/publications.html
>
> email: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> ph: 919-513-1327 (no voicemail)
> fax 919 515-7802
>
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 10:04 AM, Jeff McKenna
> wrote:
>
>     Dear fellow Board members,
>
>     I have started a vote on Loomio at:
>     https://www.loomio.org/p/DI8cUGku/motion-to-sponsor-foss4g-2018-at-the-highest-sponsorship-level-tanzanite-30-000usd-
>     <https://www.loomio.org/p/DI8cUGku/motion-to-sponsor-foss4g-2018-at-the-highest-sponsorship-level-tanzanite-30-000usd->
>
>     As described there, this motion is to increase OSGeo's sponsorship
>     of the FOSS4G 2018 event, to the highest level of sponsorship. The
>     funding can be used by the local committee at their discretion, and
>     ensures top visibility for OSGeo at its own conference.
>
>     FOSS4G 2018 is a unique situation, and I believe the OSGeo Board
>     must show its utmost support to the organizers.
>
>     I will start with my +1
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     -jeff

Re: Motion to sponsor FOSS4G 2018 at the highest level

jody.garnett
To make this a reality, and indeed to follow up on our previous motion, here is where our budget sits:

Admin: 3,000
Travel: 15,000
Partners and Sponsors: 2,000
Code Sprints: 20,500

While I am not sure how much is left, I think we will need to adjust our plan for the remainder of the year. Previously the board had an "outreach" budget - this was moved out to committees (example conference committee, marketing committee) in 2017 and we have kept that plan for 2018.

Our initial goal in obtaining a gold sponsorship ($8,000) was to have an OSGeo booth, the absence of a local chapter the board is taking on this responsibility. We could of also asked the marketing committee to do so but we did not.

Marketing: 21,500

I think we could ask the marketing committee if they are okay adjust the budget since we obtain a booth. One of the goals for such a large budget was to increase presence at parter events. DLOC is a good partner.

Other options:

a) TGP for regional events has not worked out, we could cancel it due to lack of volunteers and reallocate 10k. We have 3k from last year that could be added for 13k.

b) increase our partners and sponsors budget to cover the difference

Doing all these things would look like:

- 8k from marketing budget for booth, representing a gold sponsorship
- 13k from canceling regional TGP
- 9k from increasing board "partners and sponsors" budget to explicitly reach tansinite sponsorship goal

My reservation remains in effect, as host we have plenty of visibility and do not need to pay more to increase our visible presence at the event. This also puts us in competition with sponsors who are paying for visibility (and uneven competition since profits from foss4g are sometimes returned to OSGeo).

As such I would recommend we work with marketing committee on the booth presence, and ask the conference committee if they would be willing to cancel the regional TGP this year (if it is not being used by our regional events thus far it is probably not happening in 2018. This brings us to the "Diamond" level, and provides DLOC with the freedom to best decide how the additional finical support can be effective.

--
Jody Garnett

On 2018-06-21 10:24 AM, Helena Mitasova wrote:
> Jeff, board members,
>
> does this motion mean that we should vote about upgrading our
> sponsorship from Platinum to Tanzanite or are we settled on the
> Platinum? I don't feel I have enough information about the current
> status of our contributions to FOSS4G 2018 and its relation
> to the annual and long term budget to vote.
>
> Thank you, Helena
>
> Helena Mitasova
> Professor, Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
> Faculty Fellow, Center for Geospatial Analytics
> North Carolina State University
> Raleigh, NC 27695-8208
> http://www4.ncsu.edu/~hmitaso/
> http://geospatial.ncsu.edu/osgeorel/publications.html
>
> email: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> ph: 919-513-1327 (no voicemail)
> fax 919 515-7802
>
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 10:04 AM, Jeff McKenna
> wrote:
>
>     Dear fellow Board members,
>
>     I have started a vote on Loomio at:
>     https://www.loomio.org/p/DI8cUGku/motion-to-sponsor-foss4g-2018-at-the-highest-sponsorship-level-tanzanite-30-000usd-
>     <https://www.loomio.org/p/DI8cUGku/motion-to-sponsor-foss4g-2018-at-the-highest-sponsorship-level-tanzanite-30-000usd->
>
>     As described there, this motion is to increase OSGeo's sponsorship
>     of the FOSS4G 2018 event, to the highest level of sponsorship. The
>     funding can be used by the local committee at their discretion, and
>     ensures top visibility for OSGeo at its own conference.
>
>     FOSS4G 2018 is a unique situation, and I believe the OSGeo Board
>     must show its utmost support to the organizers.
>
>     I will start with my +1
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     -jeff

Re: Motion to sponsor FOSS4G 2018 at the highest level

Massimiliano Cannata
I agree,
no reason to be sponsor.
OSGeo is the host not the sponsor.
If the board decide to give that money just donate it, still this that is something different from the past I see need discussion at broader level (community) and not o my board to have consensus.

Every decision like this is putting a new case that others will have the right to ask for in the future.

My 0.2 cents

Maxi

On 2018-06-21 10:24 AM, Helena Mitasova wrote:
> Jeff, board members,
>
> does this motion mean that we should vote about upgrading our
> sponsorship from Platinum to Tanzanite or are we settled on the
> Platinum? I don't feel I have enough information about the current
> status of our contributions to FOSS4G 2018 and its relation
> to the annual and long term budget to vote.
>
> Thank you, Helena
>
> Helena Mitasova
> Professor, Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
> Faculty Fellow, Center for Geospatial Analytics
> North Carolina State University
> Raleigh, NC 27695-8208
> http://www4.ncsu.edu/~hmitaso/
> http://geospatial.ncsu.edu/osgeorel/publications.html
>
> email: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> ph: 919-513-1327 (no voicemail)
> fax 919 515-7802
>
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 10:04 AM, Jeff McKenna
> wrote:
>
>     Dear fellow Board members,
>
>     I have started a vote on Loomio at:
>     https://www.loomio.org/p/DI8cUGku/motion-to-sponsor-foss4g-2018-at-the-highest-sponsorship-level-tanzanite-30-000usd-
>     <https://www.loomio.org/p/DI8cUGku/motion-to-sponsor-foss4g-2018-at-the-highest-sponsorship-level-tanzanite-30-000usd->
>
>     As described there, this motion is to increase OSGeo's sponsorship
>     of the FOSS4G 2018 event, to the highest level of sponsorship. The
>     funding can be used by the local committee at their discretion, and
>     ensures top visibility for OSGeo at its own conference.
>
>     FOSS4G 2018 is a unique situation, and I believe the OSGeo Board
>     must show its utmost support to the organizers.
>
>     I will start with my +1
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     -jeff

Re: Motion to sponsor FOSS4G 2018 at the highest level

delawen
Thanks jody, good work!

If we increase anything the budget it should be this way, you are right.

On 2018-06-21 10:24 AM, Helena Mitasova wrote:
> Jeff, board members,
>
> does this motion mean that we should vote about upgrading our
> sponsorship from Platinum to Tanzanite or are we settled on the
> Platinum? I don't feel I have enough information about the current
> status of our contributions to FOSS4G 2018 and its relation
> to the annual and long term budget to vote.
>
> Thank you, Helena
>
> Helena Mitasova
> Professor, Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
> Faculty Fellow, Center for Geospatial Analytics
> North Carolina State University
> Raleigh, NC 27695-8208
> http://www4.ncsu.edu/~hmitaso/
> http://geospatial.ncsu.edu/osgeorel/publications.html
>
> email: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> ph: 919-513-1327 (no voicemail)
> fax 919 515-7802
>
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 10:04 AM, Jeff McKenna
> wrote:
>
>     Dear fellow Board members,
>
>     I have started a vote on Loomio at:
>     https://www.loomio.org/p/DI8cUGku/motion-to-sponsor-foss4g-2018-at-the-highest-sponsorship-level-tanzanite-30-000usd-
>     <https://www.loomio.org/p/DI8cUGku/motion-to-sponsor-foss4g-2018-at-the-highest-sponsorship-level-tanzanite-30-000usd->
>
>     As described there, this motion is to increase OSGeo's sponsorship
>     of the FOSS4G 2018 event, to the highest level of sponsorship. The
>     funding can be used by the local committee at their discretion, and
>     ensures top visibility for OSGeo at its own conference.
>
>     FOSS4G 2018 is a unique situation, and I believe the OSGeo Board
>     must show its utmost support to the organizers.
>
>     I will start with my +1
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     -jeff

Re: Motion to sponsor FOSS4G 2018 at the highest level

jody.garnett
Yep, this is why I think keeping our sponsorship (it is fine to sponsor as that is the way to obtain a booth, yes I know we are hosting) and then adding to the TGP (which is something future boards can do if budget permits) is a good approach.

Jeff your loomio motion was made on its own without a thread. I have started a thread but I cannot figure out a way to link the two.
--
Jody Garnett

On 2018-06-21 10:24 AM, Helena Mitasova wrote:
> Jeff, board members,
>
> does this motion mean that we should vote about upgrading our
> sponsorship from Platinum to Tanzanite or are we settled on the
> Platinum? I don't feel I have enough information about the current
> status of our contributions to FOSS4G 2018 and its relation
> to the annual and long term budget to vote.
>
> Thank you, Helena
>
> Helena Mitasova
> Professor, Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
> Faculty Fellow, Center for Geospatial Analytics
> North Carolina State University
> Raleigh, NC 27695-8208
> http://www4.ncsu.edu/~hmitaso/
> http://geospatial.ncsu.edu/osgeorel/publications.html
>
> email: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> ph: 919-513-1327 (no voicemail)
> fax 919 515-7802
>
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 10:04 AM, Jeff McKenna
> wrote:
>
>     Dear fellow Board members,
>
>     I have started a vote on Loomio at:
>     https://www.loomio.org/p/DI8cUGku/motion-to-sponsor-foss4g-2018-at-the-highest-sponsorship-level-tanzanite-30-000usd-
>     <https://www.loomio.org/p/DI8cUGku/motion-to-sponsor-foss4g-2018-at-the-highest-sponsorship-level-tanzanite-30-000usd->
>
>     As described there, this motion is to increase OSGeo's sponsorship
>     of the FOSS4G 2018 event, to the highest level of sponsorship. The
>     funding can be used by the local committee at their discretion, and
>     ensures top visibility for OSGeo at its own conference.
>
>     FOSS4G 2018 is a unique situation, and I believe the OSGeo Board
>     must show its utmost support to the organizers.
>
>     I will start with my +1
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     -jeff

Re: Motion to sponsor FOSS4G 2018 at the highest level

Mark Iliffe-2
Dear Board,

This is all very encouraging, as you progress with this motion, I'd like to reiterate our commitment to furthering the Travel Grant Program and the archiving of key talks at Dar's FOSS4G. We recognise that this is not free money and there are clear desires from the board and community for this. In effect, as a LOC, we are listening and ready to bear the responsibility.

I feel it's a moot point. Right now, we're focusing on bringing the OSGeo agenda to as wide an audience as possible. We've conducted one round of the Travel Grant Program (which has selected 55+ candidates) and we are in the stages of gearing up for a second round focused exclusively on female candidates from economically disadvantages situations. The more fuel we can add to this fire, the bigger it will grow!

Best,

Mark

On 2018-06-21 10:24 AM, Helena Mitasova wrote:
> Jeff, board members,
>
> does this motion mean that we should vote about upgrading our
> sponsorship from Platinum to Tanzanite or are we settled on the
> Platinum? I don't feel I have enough information about the current
> status of our contributions to FOSS4G 2018 and its relation
> to the annual and long term budget to vote.
>
> Thank you, Helena
>
> Helena Mitasova
> Professor, Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
> Faculty Fellow, Center for Geospatial Analytics
> North Carolina State University
> Raleigh, NC 27695-8208
> http://www4.ncsu.edu/~hmitaso/
> http://geospatial.ncsu.edu/osgeorel/publications.html
>
> email: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> ph: 919-513-1327 (no voicemail)
> fax 919 515-7802
>
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 10:04 AM, Jeff McKenna
> wrote:
>
>     Dear fellow Board members,
>
>     I have started a vote on Loomio at:
>     https://www.loomio.org/p/DI8cUGku/motion-to-sponsor-foss4g-2018-at-the-highest-sponsorship-level-tanzanite-30-000usd-
>     <https://www.loomio.org/p/DI8cUGku/motion-to-sponsor-foss4g-2018-at-the-highest-sponsorship-level-tanzanite-30-000usd->
>
>     As described there, this motion is to increase OSGeo's sponsorship
>     of the FOSS4G 2018 event, to the highest level of sponsorship. The
>     funding can be used by the local committee at their discretion, and
>     ensures top visibility for OSGeo at its own conference.
>
>     FOSS4G 2018 is a unique situation, and I believe the OSGeo Board
>     must show its utmost support to the organizers.
>
>     I will start with my +1
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     -jeff

Re: Motion to sponsor FOSS4G 2018 at the highest level

Suchith Anand

Hi all,

FOSS4G Global happening in Africa this year is a unique opportunity for us to do our best to reach out and empower the local students and communities there.

It is thanks to the work of OSGeo volunteers globally that we now are making geoeducation opportunities available for all. Students from economically poor backgrounds esp. in developing countries rarely get opportunities to attend important conferences like FOSS4G and learn the latest developments. So when we have an opportunity now with FOSS4G Global in Africa  and a great LOC Team willing to support the organising and expanding the successful Travel Grant Program,  I request the Board to kindly think of ways of how we can enable this .  It will be many of these students who will go on in future to expand OSGeo ideas in their countries. Africa will be one of the largest users and contributors of OSGeo in the near future and we need to take steps to make this happen.

I thank OSGeo volunteers and sponsors for making the Travel Grant Program possible. It is a great way for widening participation for economically poor students. OSGeo should be an inclusive and welcoming community for everyone.  It is not every year we get this opportunity to host FOSS4G Global in Africa, so please let us make this happen.

Best wishes,

Suchith

On 2018-06-21 10:24 AM, Helena Mitasova wrote:
> Jeff, board members,
>
> does this motion mean that we should vote about upgrading our
> sponsorship from Platinum to Tanzanite or are we settled on the
> Platinum? I don't feel I have enough information about the current
> status of our contributions to FOSS4G 2018 and its relation
> to the annual and long term budget to vote.
>
> Thank you, Helena
>
> Helena Mitasova
> Professor, Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
> Faculty Fellow, Center for Geospatial Analytics
> North Carolina State University
> Raleigh, NC 27695-8208
> http://www4.ncsu.edu/~hmitaso/
> http://geospatial.ncsu.edu/osgeorel/publications.html
>
> email: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> ph: 919-513-1327 (no voicemail)
> fax 919 515-7802
>
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 10:04 AM, Jeff McKenna
> wrote:
>
>     Dear fellow Board members,
>
>     I have started a vote on Loomio at:
>     https://www.loomio.org/p/DI8cUGku/motion-to-sponsor-foss4g-2018-at-the-highest-sponsorship-level-tanzanite-30-000usd-
>     <https://www.loomio.org/p/DI8cUGku/motion-to-sponsor-foss4g-2018-at-the-highest-sponsorship-level-tanzanite-30-000usd->
>
>     As described there, this motion is to increase OSGeo's sponsorship
>     of the FOSS4G 2018 event, to the highest level of sponsorship. The
>     funding can be used by the local committee at their discretion, and
>     ensures top visibility for OSGeo at its own conference.
>
>     FOSS4G 2018 is a unique situation, and I believe the OSGeo Board
>     must show its utmost support to the organizers.
>
>     I will start with my +1
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     -jeff

attachment.

where permitted by law.

Re: Motion to sponsor FOSS4G 2018 at the highest level

Angelos Tzotsos

I also think that we do not need to reach the Tanzanite level of sponsorship, for the reasons already presented in the thread.
The budget adjustment proposed by Jody is a good way forward.

Best,
Angelos

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2018

On 2018-06-21 10:24 AM, Helena Mitasova wrote:
Jeff, board members,

does this motion mean that we should vote about upgrading our
sponsorship from Platinum to Tanzanite or are we settled on the
Platinum? I don't feel I have enough information about the current
status of our contributions to FOSS4G 2018 and its relation
to the annual and long term budget to vote.

Thank you, Helena

Helena Mitasova
Professor, Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
Faculty Fellow, Center for Geospatial Analytics
North Carolina State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-8208
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~hmitaso/
http://geospatial.ncsu.edu/osgeorel/publications.html

email: [hidden email] [hidden email]
ph: 919-513-1327 (no voicemail)
fax 919 515-7802

On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 10:04 AM, Jeff McKenna
<[hidden email] [hidden email]>

    <
https://www.loomio.org/p/DI8cUGku/motion-to-sponsor-foss4g-2018-at-the-highest-sponsorship-level-tanzanite-30-000usd-

    As described there, this motion is to increase OSGeo's sponsorship
    of the FOSS4G 2018 event, to the highest level of sponsorship. The
    funding can be used by the local committee at their discretion, and
    ensures top visibility for OSGeo at its own conference.

    FOSS4G 2018 is a unique situation, and I believe the OSGeo Board
    must show its utmost support to the organizers.

    I will start with my +1

    Thanks,

    -jeff

Angelos Tzotsos, PhD
Charter Member
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://users.ntua.gr/tzotsos

Re: Motion to sponsor FOSS4G 2018 at the highest level

jody.garnett
I am going to write up the budget adjustment in loomio.

Indeed I would be happy to sponsor to pay for a booth, and ask us not to be listed on the sponsors page. We have plenty of visibility as host :)
--
Jody Garnett

Hi all,

wrote:

Hi Helena,

Yes this motion is to increase the sponsorship level to Tanzanite (the
highest level), in order to show our strong support for the Dar team,
and to promote OSGeo at its own event.  -jeff

Re: Motion to sponsor FOSS4G 2018 at the highest level

jody.garnett
This motion was unsuccessful (no response from Astrid or Jeff) and we require 100% participation for electronic motions.

For discussion and context:  https://www.loomio.org/d/wdRXmuSL/increase-foss4g-2018-support-and-or-sponsorship

We can take the matter up next meeting.
--
Jody Garnett