Motion: rename default 'master' branch to 'main'

Motion: rename default 'master' branch to 'main'

jmckenna
Administrator
Hi PSC,

Some may remember a past discussion here about possibly renaming our
'master' branch to a less insensitive name as 'main'.  It was decided to
wait a bit, as Github stated that by January 2021 it would make it
easier to change the default branch name
(https://github.com/github/renaming).

I have checked our settings today and indeed it is now possible through
the regular settings.

For our code repository, 'MapServer', here is the dialog window before
pressing the 'rename branch' button: https://pasteboard.co/JJlr3xy.png

For those not wanting to click an external link, it states that Github
will automatically:
- update 8 pull requests targeting this branch across 6 repositories
- update 1 branch protection rule that explicitly targets 'master'
*note that renaming this branch will not update your members' local
environments

For our documentation repository, 'MapServer-documentation', here is the
dialog window before pressing the 'rename branch' button:
https://pasteboard.co/JJluDt6.png

As you can see the impacts on the documentation are less because there
are no open pull requests etc.

So, it is a good time to move forward with this.  Could there be some
other impacts?  Possibly, but I believe it is worth trying now, and we
can adapt if necessary.

I motion to rename the default 'master' branch to 'main' for the
MapServer and MapServer-documentation repositories.

I'll start with a +1

PS. happy 2021 to everyone

-jeff

Re: Motion: rename default 'master' branch to 'main'

jbo-ads-2
Hi and best wishes 2021,

Here is my +1 for this "master to main" motion. May I amend it by
including MapCache repo as well?

Jérome.

Le 12/01/2021 à 21:54, Jeff McKenna a écrit :

> Hi PSC,
>
> Some may remember a past discussion here about possibly renaming our
> 'master' branch to a less insensitive name as 'main'.  It was decided to
> wait a bit, as Github stated that by January 2021 it would make it
> easier to change the default branch name
> (https://github.com/github/renaming).
>
> I have checked our settings today and indeed it is now possible through
> the regular settings.
>
> For our code repository, 'MapServer', here is the dialog window before
> pressing the 'rename branch' button: https://pasteboard.co/JJlr3xy.png
>
> For those not wanting to click an external link, it states that Github
> will automatically:
> - update 8 pull requests targeting this branch across 6 repositories
> - update 1 branch protection rule that explicitly targets 'master'
> *note that renaming this branch will not update your members' local
> environments
>
> For our documentation repository, 'MapServer-documentation', here is the
> dialog window before pressing the 'rename branch' button:
> https://pasteboard.co/JJluDt6.png
>
> As you can see the impacts on the documentation are less because there
> are no open pull requests etc.
>
> So, it is a good time to move forward with this.  Could there be some
> other impacts?  Possibly, but I believe it is worth trying now, and we
> can adapt if necessary.
>
> I motion to rename the default 'master' branch to 'main' for the
> MapServer and MapServer-documentation repositories.
>
> I'll start with a +1
>

> PS. happy 2021 to everyone
>
> -jeff

Re: Motion: rename default 'master' branch to 'main'

jratike80
+1

-Jukka Rahkonen-

Lähetetty: tiistai 12. tammikuuta 2021 22.54
Vastaanottaja: 'MapServer Dev Mailing List' <[hidden email]>
Aihe: [mapserver-dev] Motion: rename default 'master' branch to 'main'

Hi PSC,

Some may remember a past discussion here about possibly renaming our 'master' branch to a less insensitive name as 'main'.  It was decided to wait a bit, as Github stated that by January 2021 it would make it easier to change the default branch name (https://github.com/github/renaming).

I have checked our settings today and indeed it is now possible through the regular settings.

For our code repository, 'MapServer', here is the dialog window before pressing the 'rename branch' button: https://pasteboard.co/JJlr3xy.png

For those not wanting to click an external link, it states that Github will automatically:
- update 8 pull requests targeting this branch across 6 repositories
- update 1 branch protection rule that explicitly targets 'master'
*note that renaming this branch will not update your members' local environments

For our documentation repository, 'MapServer-documentation', here is the dialog window before pressing the 'rename branch' button:
https://pasteboard.co/JJluDt6.png

As you can see the impacts on the documentation are less because there are no open pull requests etc.

So, it is a good time to move forward with this.  Could there be some other impacts?  Possibly, but I believe it is worth trying now, and we can adapt if necessary.

I motion to rename the default 'master' branch to 'main' for the MapServer and MapServer-documentation repositories.

I'll start with a +1

PS. happy 2021 to everyone

-jeff

Re: Motion: rename default 'master' branch to 'main'

Tom Kralidis
+1

..Tom

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 6:08 AM Rahkonen Jukka (MML)
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>
> -Jukka Rahkonen-

Michael Smith
+1

Mike

> On Jan 13, 2021, at 6:28 AM, Tom Kralidis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> +1
>
> ..Tom
>
>> On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 6:08 AM Rahkonen Jukka (MML)
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> +1
>>
>> -Jukka Rahkonen-

Even Rouault-2
> I motion to rename the default 'master' branch to 'main' for the
> MapServer and MapServer-documentation repositories.

+1 Even

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: Motion: rename default 'master' branch to 'main'

Bruno Friedmann-2
+1
Eventualy extended to all projects under github.com/MapServer ?
Of course all of them doesn't have the same priority degree.

On mardi, 12 janvier 2021 21.54:16 h CET Jeff McKenna wrote:

> Hi PSC,
>
> Some may remember a past discussion here about possibly renaming our
> 'master' branch to a less insensitive name as 'main'.  It was decided to
> wait a bit, as Github stated that by January 2021 it would make it
> easier to change the default branch name
> (https://github.com/github/renaming).
>
> I have checked our settings today and indeed it is now possible through
> the regular settings.
>
> For our code repository, 'MapServer', here is the dialog window before
> pressing the 'rename branch' button: https://pasteboard.co/JJlr3xy.png
>
> For those not wanting to click an external link, it states that Github
> will automatically:
> - update 8 pull requests targeting this branch across 6 repositories
> - update 1 branch protection rule that explicitly targets 'master'
> *note that renaming this branch will not update your members' local
> environments
>
> For our documentation repository, 'MapServer-documentation', here is the
> dialog window before pressing the 'rename branch' button:
> https://pasteboard.co/JJluDt6.png
>
> As you can see the impacts on the documentation are less because there
> are no open pull requests etc.
>
> So, it is a good time to move forward with this.  Could there be some
> other impacts?  Possibly, but I believe it is worth trying now, and we
> can adapt if necessary.
>
> I motion to rename the default 'master' branch to 'main' for the
> MapServer and MapServer-documentation repositories.
>
> I'll start with a +1
>

> PS. happy 2021 to everyone
>
> -jeff

Bruno Friedmann
 Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch

 GPG KEY : D5C9B751C4653227
 irc: tigerfoot

Re: Motion: rename default 'master' branch to 'main'

jmckenna
Administrator
Sounds good for testing one repository (and yes to Jerome/MapCache and
Bruno's request for other projects under the MapServer umbrella).
Honestly I'm most worried of impacts of the website publishing process,
but since it is based on a branch other than master it should be ok, but
I agree to test on 'mapserver-demo'.  Maybe this Friday will be the day
to test.

(it should be 'easy', but with any change like this there must be some
undocumented impacts - such as updating the docs for 'master' references
etc - there will definitely be impacts like that coming, and will try to
fix them as fast as possible)

-jeff

On 2021-01-13 4:50 p.m., Steve Lime wrote:

> +1 but would it make sense to try with one of the lesser projects (e.g.
> mapserver-demo) first? That is, before pushing the big red button - fork
> it, clone it locally, clone the fork and then push the button - and then
> document the changes necessary to recover.
>
> --Steve
>
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 2:54 PM Jeff McKenna
> wrote:
>
>     Hi PSC,
>
>     Some may remember a past discussion here about possibly renaming our
>     'master' branch to a less insensitive name as 'main'.  It was
>     decided to
>     wait a bit, as Github stated that by January 2021 it would make it
>     easier to change the default branch name
>     (https://github.com/github/renaming
>     <https://github.com/github/renaming>).
>
>     I have checked our settings today and indeed it is now possible through
>     the regular settings.
>
>     For our code repository, 'MapServer', here is the dialog window before
>     pressing the 'rename branch' button:
>     https://pasteboard.co/JJlr3xy.png <https://pasteboard.co/JJlr3xy.png>
>
>     For those not wanting to click an external link, it states that Github
>     will automatically:
>     - update 8 pull requests targeting this branch across 6 repositories
>     - update 1 branch protection rule that explicitly targets 'master'
>     *note that renaming this branch will not update your members' local
>     environments
>
>     For our documentation repository, 'MapServer-documentation', here is
>     the
>     dialog window before pressing the 'rename branch' button:
>     https://pasteboard.co/JJluDt6.png <https://pasteboard.co/JJluDt6.png>
>
>     As you can see the impacts on the documentation are less because there
>     are no open pull requests etc.
>
>     So, it is a good time to move forward with this.  Could there be some
>     other impacts?  Possibly, but I believe it is worth trying now, and we
>     can adapt if necessary.
>
>     I motion to rename the default 'master' branch to 'main' for the
>     MapServer and MapServer-documentation repositories.
>
>     I'll start with a +1
>

>     PS. happy 2021 to everyone
>
>     -jeff

Re: Motion: rename default 'master' branch to 'main'

jmckenna
Administrator
Updates: earlier today the default branch for the 'MapServer-demo'
repository was changed to 'main'.

I have recorded the steps to adapt your fork or local clone to the
renamed default branch at
https://github.com/MapServer/MapServer/wiki/Renamed-Default-Branch (with
screencaptures etc).

If you don't want to follow that page, at the minimum you can locally
execute at the commandline, to update your local clone:

   git branch -m master main
   git fetch origin
   git branch -u origin/main main

I am going to proceed with the rest of the 'MapServer organization'
repositories now... (and fix the errors ha)

Wishing all a nice quiet weekend,

-jeff