Motion: Accept pygeoapi as an OSGeo Community Project

Motion: Accept pygeoapi as an OSGeo Community Project

Jo Cook
Hi List:

I would like to make the following motion:

 - motion: Accept "pygeoapi" as a community project

https://github.com/geopython/pygeoapi

I believe the requirements for a community project have been met. For
reference, they are:

1. Selection of an open source license if the project hasn't already done so.
2. Checking source code headers and history
3. Setting up appropriate LICENSE, CONTRIBUTING and README files (for
github projects)

 This motion is held open until June 20th to give everyone a chance to
participate:

- Bruce Bannerman
- Bob (CI-StPaul) Basques
- Landon Blake
- Howard Butler
- Arnulf Christl
- Jo Cook +1 initial motion
- Jody Garnett
- Dimitris Kotzinos
- Tom Kralidis
- Julien-Samuel Lacroix
- Mark Lucas
- Steve Lime
- Daniel Morissette
- Markus Schneider
- Cameron Shorter
- Norman Vine
- Frank Warmerdam

Regards

Jo

--
Jo Cook
t:+44 7930 524 155/twitter:@archaeogeek

products, conferences, events and training*
*
*

Astun Technology Ltd, The
Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18 7RL, UK
t:+44 1372 744
009 w: astuntechnology.com <http://astuntechnology.com/> twitter:@astuntech
<https://twitter.com/astuntech>

iShare - enterprise geographic
intelligence platform <https://astuntechnology.com/ishare/>
GeoServer,
PostGIS and QGIS training <https://astuntechnology.com/services/#training>

Helpdesk and customer portal
<http://support.astuntechnology.com/support/login>

Company registration
no. 5410695. Registered in England and Wales. Registered office: 120 Manor
Green Road, Epsom, Surrey, KT19 8LN VAT no. 864201149.

Re: Motion: Accept pygeoapi as an OSGeo Community Project

Arnulf Christl-3
+1 Arnulf

--
http://metaspatial.net
Digitally Enabling your Business.

Re: Motion: Accept pygeoapi as an OSGeo Community Project

Tom Kralidis
+1 (disclaimer: I am part of the pygeoapi team).

..Tom

On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 11:18 AM Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>
> On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 2:32 AM Jo Cook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi List:
>>
>> I would like to make the following motion:
>>
>>  - motion: Accept "pygeoapi" as a community project
>>
>> https://github.com/geopython/pygeoapi
>>
>> I believe the requirements for a community project have been met. For
>> reference, they are:
>>
>> 1. Selection of an open source license if the project hasn't already done so.
>> 2. Checking source code headers and history
>> 3. Setting up appropriate LICENSE, CONTRIBUTING and README files (for
>> github projects)
>>
>>  This motion is held open until June 20th to give everyone a chance to
>> participate:
>>
>> - Bruce Bannerman
>> - Bob (CI-StPaul) Basques
>> - Landon Blake
>> - Howard Butler
>> - Arnulf Christl
>> - Jo Cook +1 initial motion
>> - Jody Garnett
>> - Dimitris Kotzinos
>> - Tom Kralidis
>> - Julien-Samuel Lacroix
>> - Mark Lucas
>> - Steve Lime
>> - Daniel Morissette
>> - Markus Schneider
>> - Cameron Shorter
>> - Norman Vine
>> - Frank Warmerdam
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Jo
>>

>> --
>> Jo Cook
>> t:+44 7930 524 155/twitter:@archaeogeek
>> Please note that currently I do not work on Friday afternoons. For
>> urgent responses at that time, please visit
>> support.astuntechnology.com or phone our office on 01372 744009
>>
>> --
>> --
>> products, conferences, events and training*
>> *
>> *
>>
>> Astun Technology Ltd, The
>> Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18 7RL, UK
>> t:+44 1372 744
>> 009 w: astuntechnology.com <http://astuntechnology.com/> twitter:@astuntech
>> <https://twitter.com/astuntech>
>>

>> iShare - enterprise geographic
>> intelligence platform <https://astuntechnology.com/ishare/>
>> GeoServer,
>> PostGIS and QGIS training <https://astuntechnology.com/services/#training>
>>
>> Helpdesk and customer portal
>> <http://support.astuntechnology.com/support/login>
>>

>> Company registration
>> no. 5410695. Registered in England and Wales. Registered office: 120 Manor
>> Green Road, Epsom, Surrey, KT19 8LN VAT no. 864201149.

> Jody Garnett

Re: Motion: Accept pygeoapi as an OSGeo Community Project

Cameron Shorter
+1 Cameron

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Re: Motion: Accept pygeoapi as an OSGeo Community Project

Daniel Morissette
+1

Daniel

--
Daniel Morissette
Mapgears Inc

Re: Motion: Accept pygeoapi as an OSGeo Community Project

Jo Cook
Hi All,

This motion has been open for 2 weeks now, but only 6 people have
voted- we need at least 2 further votes to meet the 50% quorum.

Thanks

Jo

On Sat, Jun 8, 2019 at 1:01 AM Daniel Morissette
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>
> Daniel
>

> On 2019-06-06 05:31, Jo Cook wrote:
> > Hi List:
> >
> > I would like to make the following motion:
> >
> >   - motion: Accept "pygeoapi" as a community project
> >
> > https://github.com/geopython/pygeoapi
> >
> > I believe the requirements for a community project have been met. For
> > reference, they are:
> >
> > 1. Selection of an open source license if the project hasn't already done so.
> > 2. Checking source code headers and history
> > 3. Setting up appropriate LICENSE, CONTRIBUTING and README files (for
> > github projects)
> >
> >   This motion is held open until June 20th to give everyone a chance to
> > participate:
> >
> > - Bruce Bannerman
> > - Bob (CI-StPaul) Basques
> > - Landon Blake
> > - Howard Butler
> > - Arnulf Christl
> > - Jo Cook +1 initial motion
> > - Jody Garnett
> > - Dimitris Kotzinos
> > - Tom Kralidis
> > - Julien-Samuel Lacroix
> > - Mark Lucas
> > - Steve Lime
> > - Daniel Morissette
> > - Markus Schneider
> > - Cameron Shorter
> > - Norman Vine
> > - Frank Warmerdam
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Jo
> >

> --
> Daniel Morissette
> Mapgears Inc
> T: +1 418-696-5056 #201

Jo Cook
t:+44 7930 524 155/twitter:@archaeogeek
Please note that currently I do not work on Friday afternoons. For
urgent responses at that time, please visit
support.astuntechnology.com or phone our office on 01372 744009

products, conferences, events and training*
*
*

Astun Technology Ltd, The
Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18 7RL, UK
t:+44 1372 744
009 w: astuntechnology.com <http://astuntechnology.com/> twitter:@astuntech
<https://twitter.com/astuntech>

iShare - enterprise geographic
intelligence platform <https://astuntechnology.com/ishare/>
GeoServer,
PostGIS and QGIS training <https://astuntechnology.com/services/#training>

Helpdesk and customer portal
<http://support.astuntechnology.com/support/login>

Company registration
no. 5410695. Registered in England and Wales. Registered office: 120 Manor
Green Road, Epsom, Surrey, KT19 8LN VAT no. 864201149.

Re: Motion: Accept pygeoapi as an OSGeo Community Project

jody.garnett
I believe Landon has stepped down and can be removed from the above list.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>
> Daniel
>

> On 2019-06-06 05:31, Jo Cook wrote:
> > Hi List:
> >
> > I would like to make the following motion:
> >
> >   - motion: Accept "pygeoapi" as a community project
> >
> > https://github.com/geopython/pygeoapi
> >
> > I believe the requirements for a community project have been met. For
> > reference, they are:
> >
> > 1. Selection of an open source license if the project hasn't already done so.
> > 2. Checking source code headers and history
> > 3. Setting up appropriate LICENSE, CONTRIBUTING and README files (for
> > github projects)
> >
> >   This motion is held open until June 20th to give everyone a chance to
> > participate:
> >
> > - Bruce Bannerman
> > - Bob (CI-StPaul) Basques
> > - Landon Blake
> > - Howard Butler
> > - Arnulf Christl
> > - Jo Cook +1 initial motion
> > - Jody Garnett
> > - Dimitris Kotzinos
> > - Tom Kralidis
> > - Julien-Samuel Lacroix
> > - Mark Lucas
> > - Steve Lime
> > - Daniel Morissette
> > - Markus Schneider
> > - Cameron Shorter
> > - Norman Vine
> > - Frank Warmerdam
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Jo
> >

> --
> Daniel Morissette
> Mapgears Inc
> T: +1 418-696-5056 #201

Jo Cook
t:+44 7930 524 155/twitter:@archaeogeek
Please note that currently I do not work on Friday afternoons. For
urgent responses at that time, please visit
support.astuntechnology.com or phone our office on 01372 744009

products, conferences, events and training*
*
*

Astun Technology Ltd, The
Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18 7RL, UK
t:+44 1372 744
009 w: astuntechnology.com <http://astuntechnology.com/> twitter:@astuntech
<https://twitter.com/astuntech>

iShare - enterprise geographic
intelligence platform <https://astuntechnology.com/ishare/>
GeoServer,
PostGIS and QGIS training <https://astuntechnology.com/services/#training>

Helpdesk and customer portal
<http://support.astuntechnology.com/support/login>

Company registration
no. 5410695. Registered in England and Wales. Registered office: 120 Manor
Green Road, Epsom, Surrey, KT19 8LN VAT no. 864201149.
Jody Garnett

Re: Motion: Accept pygeoapi as an OSGeo Community Project

Jo Cook
OK, so the voting status is as follows:

- Bruce Bannerman +1
- Bob (CI-StPaul) Basques
- Howard Butler
- Arnulf Christl +1
- Jo Cook +1 initial motion
- Jody Garnett +1
- Dimitris Kotzinos
- Tom Kralidis +1
- Julien-Samuel Lacroix
- Mark Lucas
- Steve Lime
- Daniel Morissette +1
- Markus Schneider
- Cameron Shorter +1
- Norman Vine
- Frank Warmerdam

I think we still need one further vote to make quorum.

Thanks

Jo

[...]

blammo
+1

bobb

On Jun 20, 2019, at 10:00 AM, Jo Cook <[hidden email]> wrote:

Think Before You Click: This email originated outside our organization.

[...]

<[hidden email]> wrote:

+1

Daniel

Re: Motion: Accept pygeoapi as an OSGeo Community Project

Jo Cook
Hi All,

This motion is now passed- great news!

The final voting was as follows:

- Bruce Bannerman +1
- Bob (CI-StPaul) Basques +1
- Howard Butler
- Arnulf Christl +1
- Jo Cook +1 initial motion
- Jody Garnett +1
- Dimitris Kotzinos
- Tom Kralidis +1
- Julien-Samuel Lacroix
- Mark Lucas
- Steve Lime
- Daniel Morissette +1
- Markus Schneider
- Cameron Shorter +1
- Norman Vine
- Frank Warmerdam

Tom, you might be best placed to let the rest of the pygeoapi team
know the good news. If you can find somewhere to display the OSGeo
Community logo
(https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/tree/master/incubation/community) that
would be great.

@Jody I'm not quite sure how they go about getting included on
https://www.osgeo.org/projects/ and in the community projects section?

All the best

Jo

On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 5:59 PM Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul)
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

*
*

Astun Technology Ltd, The
Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18 7RL, UK
t:+44 1372 744
009 w: astuntechnology.com <http://astuntechnology.com/> twitter:@astuntech
<https://twitter.com/astuntech>

iShare - enterprise geographic
intelligence platform <https://astuntechnology.com/ishare/>
GeoServer,
PostGIS and QGIS training <https://astuntechnology.com/services/#training>

Helpdesk and customer portal
<http://support.astuntechnology.com/support/login>

Company registration
no. 5410695. Registered in England and Wales. Registered office: 120 Manor
Green Road, Epsom, Surrey, KT19 8LN VAT no. 864201149.

Re: Motion: Accept pygeoapi as an OSGeo Community Project

Thanks Jo and thanks everyone!  Comms:

Website updated: https://pygeoapi.io
Tweet: https://twitter.com/tomkralidis/status/1142023200194404352

Cheers

..Tom

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 6:29 AM Jo Cook <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> *
> *
>
> Astun Technology Ltd, The
> Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18 7RL, UK
> t:+44 1372 744
> 009 w: astuntechnology.com <http://astuntechnology.com/> twitter:@astuntech
> <https://twitter.com/astuntech>
>

> iShare - enterprise geographic
> intelligence platform <https://astuntechnology.com/ishare/>
> GeoServer,
> PostGIS and QGIS training <https://astuntechnology.com/services/#training>
>
> Helpdesk and customer portal
> <http://support.astuntechnology.com/support/login>
>

> Company registration
> no. 5410695. Registered in England and Wales. Registered office: 120 Manor
> Green Road, Epsom, Surrey, KT19 8LN VAT no. 864201149.

Re: Motion: Accept pygeoapi as an OSGeo Community Project

Thanks Joe and Tom, May want to post a news item once revisited are updated.

The website menu should be automatic based on changing the project page to "community project", however it was not showing up as the "project type" was not filed in for the page....

This page needs a fair bit of work before I am comfortable publishing / announcing it. We should make that a requirement for next time ...

Compare:

The project itself has all kinds of cool things to advertise like a live demo, hopefully a team photo? etc...

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

*
*

Astun Technology Ltd, The
Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18 7RL, UK
t:+44 1372 744
009 w: astuntechnology.com <http://astuntechnology.com/> twitter:@astuntech
<https://twitter.com/astuntech>

iShare - enterprise geographic
intelligence platform <https://astuntechnology.com/ishare/>
GeoServer,
PostGIS and QGIS training <https://astuntechnology.com/services/#training>

Helpdesk and customer portal
<http://support.astuntechnology.com/support/login>

Company registration
no. 5410695. Registered in England and Wales. Registered office: 120 Manor
Green Road, Epsom, Surrey, KT19 8LN VAT no. 864201149.

Re: Motion: Accept pygeoapi as an OSGeo Community Project

Hi Jody: thanks for the info.  We've gone through a cycle of
normalizing our docs [1]
and have updated our OSGeo project page in [2].

Is this good enough to put out an OSGeo announcement?  Feedback valued/welcome.

..Tom

[1] https://github.com/geopython/pygeoapi/issues/201
[2] https://www.osgeo.org/projects/pygeoapi/

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 10:23 AM Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> *
>> *
>>
>> Astun Technology Ltd, The
>> Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18 7RL, UK
>> t:+44 1372 744
>> 009 w: astuntechnology.com <http://astuntechnology.com/> twitter:@astuntech
>> <https://twitter.com/astuntech>
>>

>> iShare - enterprise geographic
>> intelligence platform <https://astuntechnology.com/ishare/>
>> GeoServer,
>> PostGIS and QGIS training <https://astuntechnology.com/services/#training>
>>
>> Helpdesk and customer portal
>> <http://support.astuntechnology.com/support/login>
>>

>> Company registration
>> no. 5410695. Registered in England and Wales. Registered office: 120 Manor
>> Green Road, Epsom, Surrey, KT19 8LN VAT no. 864201149.

Re: Motion: Accept pygeoapi as an OSGeo Community Project

That looks great, three things:

1) If the project does not yet have a logo can I recommend using the "parent" geopython logo as a placeholder? Or perhaps the pygeoapi mark with the geoapi text? The "tile" size is 720x412 as per tile_template.png on this page.

2) team photo. It is import for the osgeo website to show that open source is produced by people (highlighting the hands-on nature of our community). Is there anything in this album you can use (from recent code-sprint)?

3) screen snap, can you show a screen snap of the "demo" for example (or really anything) as we kind of want to show that the project does *anything*. Bonus points for using a laptop or browser frame.

Sorry to be a pain on this, want to try setting a standard for these pages :)
--
Jody Garnett

On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 at 09:54, Tom Kralidis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> *
>> *
>>
>> Astun Technology Ltd, The
>> Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18 7RL, UK
>> t:+44 1372 744
>> 009 w: astuntechnology.com <http://astuntechnology.com/> twitter:@astuntech
>> <https://twitter.com/astuntech>
>>

>> iShare - enterprise geographic
>> intelligence platform <https://astuntechnology.com/ishare/>
>> GeoServer,
>> PostGIS and QGIS training <https://astuntechnology.com/services/#training>
>>
>> Helpdesk and customer portal
>> <http://support.astuntechnology.com/support/login>
>>

>> Company registration
>> no. 5410695. Registered in England and Wales. Registered office: 120 Manor
>> Green Road, Epsom, Surrey, KT19 8LN VAT no. 864201149.

Re: Motion: Accept pygeoapi as an OSGeo Community Project

Hi Jody: comments interleaved.

On Jul 8, 2019, at 20:15, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:

That looks great, three things:

1) If the project does not yet have a logo can I recommend using the "parent" geopython logo as a placeholder? Or perhaps the pygeoapi mark with the geoapi text? The "tile" size is 720x412 as per tile_template.png on this page.

Will look into.

2) team photo. It is import for the osgeo website to show that open source is produced by people (highlighting the hands-on nature of our community). Is there anything in this album you can use (from recent code-sprint)?

Agree on the people and hands on aspects. However, having existed for less than 1.5 years, the pygeoapi devs have not met all in person yet. To add, the “who’s involved” section of the page nicely exemplifies the people aspect especially in lieu of a team photo per se IMHO.

3) screen snap, can you show a screen snap of the "demo" for example (or really anything) as we kind of want to show that the project does *anything*. Bonus points for using a laptop or browser frame.

Will do.

> [...]

>> *
>> *
>>
>> Astun Technology Ltd, The
>> Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18 7RL, UK
>> t:+44 1372 744
>> 009 w: astuntechnology.com <http://astuntechnology.com/> twitter:@astuntech
>> <https://twitter.com/astuntech>
>>

>> iShare - enterprise geographic
>> intelligence platform <https://astuntechnology.com/ishare/>
>> GeoServer,
>> PostGIS and QGIS training <https://astuntechnology.com/services/#training>
>>
>> Helpdesk and customer portal
>> <http://support.astuntechnology.com/support/login>
>>

>> Company registration
>> no. 5410695. Registered in England and Wales. Registered office: 120 Manor
>> Green Road, Epsom, Surrey, KT19 8LN VAT no. 864201149.

Re: Motion: Accept pygeoapi as an OSGeo Community Project

Jody: updated page at: https://www.osgeo.org/projects/pygeoapi/

Can an OSGeo news item be posted?

Thanks

..Tom

On Mon, 8 Jul 2019, Tom Kralidis wrote:

> Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2019 21:03:01 -0400
> From: Tom Kralidis <[hidden email]>
> To: Jody Garnett <[hidden email]>
> Cc: Jo Cook <[hidden email]>,
>     OSGeo-incubator <[hidden email]>,
>     Daniel Morissette <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Incubator] Motion: Accept pygeoapi as an OSGeo Community Project
>
> Hi Jody: comments interleaved.
>
>> On Jul 8, 2019, at 20:15, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> That looks great, three things:
>>
>> 1) If the project does not yet have a logo can I recommend using the "parent" geopython logo as a placeholder? Or perhaps the pygeoapi mark with the geoapi text? The "tile" size is 720x412 as per tile_template.png on this page.
>>

> Will look into.
>
>> 2) team photo. It is import for the osgeo website to show that open source is produced by people (highlighting the hands-on nature of our community). Is there anything in this album you can use (from recent code-sprint)?
>>

> Agree on the people and hands on aspects. However, having existed for less than 1.5 years, the pygeoapi devs have not met all in person yet. To add, the “who’s involved” section of the page nicely exemplifies the people aspect especially in lieu of a team photo per se IMHO.
>
>> 3) screen snap, can you show a screen snap of the "demo" for example (or really anything) as we kind of want to show that the project does *anything*. Bonus points for using a laptop or browser frame.
>>

> Will do.
>
>> Sorry to be a pain on this, want to try setting a standard for these pages :)
>> --
>> Jody Garnett
>>

>>> On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 at 09:54, Tom Kralidis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Jody: thanks for the info.  We've gone through a cycle of
>>> normalizing our docs [1]
>>> and have updated our OSGeo project page in [2].
>>>
>>> Is this good enough to put out an OSGeo announcement?  Feedback valued/welcome.
>>>
>>> ..Tom
>>>
>>> [1] https://github.com/geopython/pygeoapi/issues/201
>>> [2] https://www.osgeo.org/projects/pygeoapi/

Re: Motion: Accept pygeoapi as an OSGeo Community Project

jody.garnett
Thanks! I updated the logo (using the template from earlier email), and added a callout to link to the project website.

Thanks Jody! https://twitter.com/tomkralidis/status/1149453633966284800

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 6:57 PM Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks! I updated the logo (using the template from earlier email), and added a callout to link to the project website.
>
> News item is here: https://www.osgeo.org/foundation-news/osgeo-welcomes-pygeoapi/
> --
> Jody Garnett
>

> On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 at 04:58, Tom Kralidis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Jody: updated page at: https://www.osgeo.org/projects/pygeoapi/
>>
>> Can an OSGeo news item be posted?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> ..Tom
>>
>> On Mon, 8 Jul 2019, Tom Kralidis wrote:
>>
>> > Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2019 21:03:01 -0400
>> > From: Tom Kralidis <[hidden email]>
>> > To: Jody Garnett <[hidden email]>
>> > Cc: Jo Cook <[hidden email]>,
>> >     OSGeo-incubator <[hidden email]>,
>> >     Daniel Morissette <[hidden email]>
>> > Subject: Re: [Incubator] Motion: Accept pygeoapi as an OSGeo Community Project
>> >
>> > Hi Jody: comments interleaved.

>> > Will look into.

>> > Agree on the people and hands on aspects. However, having existed for less than 1.5 years, the pygeoapi devs have not met all in person yet. To add, the “who’s involved” section of the page nicely exemplifies the people aspect especially in lieu of a team photo per se IMHO.

>> > Will do.

Re: Motion: Accept pygeoapi as an OSGeo Community Project

jody.garnett
If you head on over to the marketing email list you can coordinate social media announcements :P

And if you check the bottom of the project page you can see the news item is cross linked,
--
Jody Garnett