Monitoring Extension with Hibernate Persistence

Monitoring Extension with Hibernate Persistence

GeoServer - User mailing list

Hello all,

I’ve been using the Monitor extension in GeoServer version 2.12 for about a year experimenting with the REST API with the hopes of collecting request data for gauging user interest in various data.  We are at the point of wanting to take that a step further, which will necessitate installing the Hibernate Monitor community extension to persist the request data.  I thought I would upgrade to the latest stable version of GeoServer while I was at it, but I noticed there is not a build for the community extension past 2.14 and saw that the extension has been removed from nightly builds.  So I guess I have two questions:

Does anyone know the future of the Hibernate Monitor extension and the Monitor extension proper?

And is there a good way to build the extension locally for a newer version or is there another method for persisting request data that I am missing?

Thank you for your time,

Phil Nugent

Re: Monitoring Extension with Hibernate Persistence

nicolas
Hello,

On our platform, we were using also the Monitor Extension with Hibernate with GeoServer 2.12 but we had several issues with that extension, especially with the implementation with Hibernate:
- Performance issue: If I'm not wrong, there was one database query every single user HTTP request... so one per tile !
- Version conflict with other Geoserver extensions (the Monitor was based on old deprecated Hibernate lib)
- Lack of maintenance & support (nobody was really working on that extension, missing time)

=> We got rid of that Monitor extension.
We could have tried to improve the Extension. But we did not have time to get inlvolved into the GeoServer Extension development. Also we wanted to add very specific custom request parameters to monitor (like sort of authkey), so we decided to implement our own custom Monitor Filter. That was not so difficult to achieve.

The idea is to create your own Monitor class implementing the interface javax.servlet.Filter
For information, in our implementation, we manage an equivalent 'request' table (same as the standard Monitor table + few additional columns) to store all single requests in the DB.
But the process also archive weekly the requests in another 'archive' table (aggregated by day/user/resource/ip...) to merge the Tile Requests
So the 'request' table keep only the requests for the last month to avoid to increase dramatically.

Also to limit the number of database queries, our Monitor track all HTTP request, but keep that in memory on the Filter App and flush all the requests (asynchronously) in the database every 3 or 5 minutes. And that made a huge difference (before we could have thousands of requests every minutes).

Best regards,
Nicolas FAGART

Le jeu. 11 juil. 2019 à 16:56, Nugent, Phil via Geoserver-users <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

geowolf
On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 8:41 AM Nicolas Fagart <[hidden email]> wrote:

The idea is to create your own Monitor class implementing the interface javax.servlet.Filter
For information, in our implementation, we manage an equivalent 'request' table (same as the standard Monitor table + few additional columns) to store all single requests in the DB.
But the process also archive weekly the requests in another 'archive' table (aggregated by day/user/resource/ip...) to merge the Tile Requests
So the 'request' table keep only the requests for the last month to avoid to increase dramatically.

Also to limit the number of database queries, our Monitor track all HTTP request, but keep that in memory on the Filter App and flush all the requests (asynchronously) in the database every 3 or 5 minutes. And that made a huge difference (before we could have thousands of requests every minutes).

Sounds like it would make for a nice extension module, if you wanted to contribute and maintain it :-)

Cheers
Andrea

==

GeoServer Professional Services from the experts! Visit http://goo.gl/it488V for more information. == Ing. Andrea Aime @geowolf Technical Lead GeoSolutions S.A.S. Via di Montramito 3/A 55054 Massarosa (LU) phone: +39 0584 962313 fax: +39 0584 1660272 mob: +39 339 8844549 http://www.geo-solutions.it http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it ------------------------------------------------------- Con riferimento alla normativa sul trattamento dei dati personali (Reg. UE 2016/679 - Regolamento generale sulla protezione dei dati “GDPR”), si precisa che ogni circostanza inerente alla presente email (il suo contenuto, gli eventuali allegati, etc.) è un dato la cui conoscenza è riservata al/i solo/i destinatario/i indicati dallo scrivente. Se il messaggio Le è giunto per errore, è tenuta/o a cancellarlo, ogni altra operazione è illecita. Le sarei comunque grato se potesse darmene notizia. This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. We remind that - as provided by European Regulation 2016/679 “GDPR” - copying, dissemination or use of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email by mistake, please notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail.

Re: Monitoring Extension with Hibernate Persistence

geowolf
as others have said, the module is dead, I'm not aware of any plans to resurrect it, but would be happy to
be proven wrong

Cheers
Andrea

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 5:00 PM Nugent, Phil via Geoserver-users <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Indeed... If only we had time to do it... :(
But we are really thinking about that.
Cheers,
Nicolas

Le ven. 12 juil. 2019 à 09:52, Andrea Aime <[hidden email]> a écrit :
[...]

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Monitoring Extension with Hibernate Persistence

GeoServer - User mailing list

Thanks for your response Nicolas.  Based on what you and Andrea have said, it sounds like the Hibernate extension does not have maintenance support and aside from that does not perform well, e.g. would add excessive db load, etc.  We don’t have a lot of users as of now and were mainly serving WFS rather than tiled WMS, so we’re probably not seeing the volume you are.

Your Monitor Filter extension sounds interesting, though I don’t have any experience developing plugins for GeoServer, but will look over the GeoServer development docs and see if that’s something I can take on.  My other thought was to collect and parse log files periodically.  We don’t have a critical need for near-real time monitoring so much as getting historical trends of data usage.  Though now that I think about it, creating a plugin might be cleaner and less lift.  Regardless, it sounds like we’ll need to come up with a custom solution for our needs.  If we end up working on a plugin, we’ll see if it is something worth contributing back.

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 3:27 PM Nugent, Phil via Geoserver-users <[hidden email]> wrote:

Your Monitor Filter extension sounds interesting, though I don’t have any experience developing plugins for GeoServer, but will look over the GeoServer development docs and see if that’s something I can take on.  My other thought was to collect and parse log files periodically.  We don’t have a critical need for near-real time monitoring so much as getting historical trends of data usage.  Though now that I think about it, creating a plugin might be cleaner and less lift.  Regardless, it sounds like we’ll need to come up with a custom solution for our needs.  If we end up working on a plugin, we’ll see if it is something worth contributing back.

The monitoring module, still in extension, can log to file in audit mode. That's what we use to gather statistics,
having logstash read the request logs generated by monitoring, fetching them into elastic search, and
displaying/searching the result using a Kibana dashboard that might look like this (we create custom
ones based on the customer requirements):

kibana-nq8.png

Cheers
Andrea

==

[...]

Hi Andrea,

This is fantastic! That’s exactly what we are looking for, ultimately to display in Kibana or Grafana.  I somehow totally missed the Audit Logging section in the docs, but it looks like that could suit our needs well for now.

Thank you,

Phil