Monitoring Database Persistence

Kris Johnson
Hello,

I am attempting to setup and configure the monitoring extension for Geoserver 2.13.3 so that requests will be recorded in a postgresql database.
And two tables have been created in the database ("request" and "request_resources"). However, despite multiple new requests showing up on the [host]..../geoserver/rest/monitor/requests page, I have zero records in either table.

Is there something I'm missing here? Thank you in advance for your help.

--
Kris Johnson
GIS Instructor

Re: Monitoring Database Persistence

geowolf
Hi Vera and Kris,
the monitoring database module has been kicked down to "community module" status, meaning
it's not part of releases anymore and has no module maintainer.

The way data was stored in a database was problematic too, with one single table with primary key,
which was making inserts slower and slower (due to checking of PK uniqueness at every insert), to
the point that after some amount of requests (hundreds of thousands) the
monitoring inserts were taking more time than the request itself.
The hibernate version used was also old.

Long story short, in order to resume this module we'd need:
  • A maintainer, someone that cares for the module
  • Some changes to make insert sustainable (basically, make it so that it works in absence of a primary key, or some other approach to avoid tables to grow too large)
  • A hibernate upgrade, possibly to a recent version
If you have ability and time to do the above, it would be very much appreciated.

Otherwise, monitoring "core" is still supported and used normally in "audit" mode, logging to a text file,
which is normally processed asynchronously by some external utility of your choice to gather statistics.
A common choice is the ELK stack, Logstash to load the requests logs into ElastichSearch, and a Kibana
dashboard to display the results

Cheers
Andrea

On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 4:33 PM Vera Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Jonathan Moules-4

Hi Kris,

An alternative for GeoServer log analysis is Logacity - https://www.logacity.co.uk - It's non-free but should be much easier to set up and maintain.

(Disclosure: I'm the developer)