Monitor dislay time vs psmap display time

Monitor dislay time vs psmap display time

Rich Shepard
A 5m DEM displays very quickly on the monitor (using d.rast
map=basin_5mtopo) but when that map is the raster in a psmap script it takes
a very long time for grass to process the script (with the vector overlays).

Why might this be?

Regards,

Rich

Re: Monitor dislay time vs psmap display time

Markus Neteler
On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 11:04 PM Rich Shepard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A 5m DEM displays very quickly on the monitor (using d.rast
> map=basin_5mtopo) but when that map is the raster in a psmap script it takes
> a very long time for grass to process the script (with the vector overlays).
>
> Why might this be?

The monitor shows pixels only at needed resolution (it uses nearest
neighbors to downsample on the fly) while ps.map operates at map
resolution (not sure if that can be set differently besides resampling
it to a new map at lower resolution if acceptable for the printing).

HTH,
Markus

On Wed, 1 Jul 2020, Markus Neteler wrote:

> The monitor shows pixels only at needed resolution (it uses nearest
> neighbors to downsample on the fly) while ps.map operates at map
> resolution (not sure if that can be set differently besides resampling it
> to a new map at lower resolution if acceptable for the printing).

Markus,

That did not occur to me. The resulting .ps file is 22G in size and should
have a resultion suitable for a 1600x900 PDF file. I suppose 300dpi would be
more than adequate.

Thanks,

Rich