MobilityDB

Vicky Vergara-2
Hello committee members
There is this new project MobilityDB [1] that soon will start an application to become an OSGeo Community Project.
I am guiding them on some basic steps, like setting up mailing lists for the project [2] and some other tasks. They also participated on the Bolsena 2020 Code Sprint
Here is my question:
From the incubation [3] information on the website I navigated using the links, and I only found [4] as the requirements to be considered for community projects.
Is that correct?

Regards
Vicky

[1] https://github.com/MobilityDB/MobilityDB
[2] https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/2482
[3] https://www.osgeo.org/about/committees/incubation/
[4] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Community_Projects#About_OSGeo_Community_Projects

--
Georepublic UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Salzmannstraße 44,

Vicky Vergara
Operations Research

eMail: vicky@georepublic.de
Web: https://georepublic.info

Tel: +49 (089) 4161 7698-1
Fax: +49 (089) 4161 7698-9

CEO: Daniel Kastl

Re: MobilityDB

Mahmoud SAKR-2
Hi Jody,
Thanks for sharing the slides.
Could you please give a project author role to:
myself, mahmsakr ([hidden email])
Esteban, ezimanyi ([hidden email])

We have the content of the page almost ready. Once the author role is granted, we will start immediately filling in the project page.

Best regards,
Mahmoud SAKR, PhD
Research Associate

T : +32 (0)2 6503750
[hidden email]
Université libre de Bruxelles
Department of Computer & Decision Engineering (CoDE) CP 165/15
Avenue F. D. Roosevelt 50 - 1050 Brussels, Belgium.
cs.ulb.ac.be/members/mahmoud/

Re: MobilityDB

jody.garnett
I cannot give you the website roles ... yet!

We need the project to ask to be listed in the website, and to perform a check as outlined on the pages you have been reading.

OSGeo wants to be sure to only have pages for open source projects yes, but also ones that are geospatial, and open to participation :)

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 1:27 AM Mahmoud SAKR <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Jody,
Thanks for sharing the slides.
Could you please give a project author role to:
myself, mahmsakr ([hidden email])
Esteban, ezimanyi ([hidden email])

We have the content of the page almost ready. Once the author role is granted, we will start immediately filling in the project page.

Best regards,
Mahmoud SAKR, PhD
Research Associate

T : +32 (0)2 6503750
[hidden email]
Université libre de Bruxelles
Department of Computer & Decision Engineering (CoDE) CP 165/15
Avenue F. D. Roosevelt 50 - 1050 Brussels, Belgium.
cs.ulb.ac.be/members/mahmoud/

Re: MobilityDB

Mahmoud SAKR-2
Thanks Jody for explaining.
Clearly I misunderstood your previous message when it mentioned "can you ask the project to be listed on the website first please?".

With respect to the checklist (geospatial, opensource, participatory), we have already been working on it, and following the wiki given by Vicky:
Our github repository has been changed accordingly. We will do an internal round of review in 1-2 days then send here again asking for your review and advice, in order to add to the Website.

Best regards,
Mahmoud

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 2:31 PM Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Dear Incubation Committee,
We would like to introduce our Open Source project "MobilityDB", hoping to identify the next steps that we can take to include it as an OSGeo community project.

MobilityDB is a database management system for moving object geospatial trajectories, such as GPS traces. It extends PostgreSQL and PostGIS by temporal and spatiotemporal types and operations. The goal of MobilityDB is to provide users with the database support to seamlessly store mobility tracks, and query them in SQL.

MobilityDB provides two main geospatial trajectory types: tgeompoint for a temporal geometry point, and tgeogpoint for a temporal geography point. Both can represent a geospatial point that moves over time, where the coordinates are respectively expressed as PostGIS geometry or geography. It also provides spatiotemporal indexes and a rich set of functions to manage these types; including: input/output, topological relationships, speed, direction, distance, etc. Note that the return values of many of these functions are temporal. For example, the speed of a car is a value that changes over time. Therefore the type system of MobilityDB includes types for temporal floats, temporal Booleans, temporal text, and temporal integers.

The work in MobilityDB has been presented in multiple scientific publications and in multiple community conferences including PGConf.Russia 2019 and 2020, FOSDEM PGDay 2020, FOSDEM GeoSpatial Devroom 2020, and FOSS4G Belgium 2019. Some of these presentation can be found here:
https://pgconf.ru/en/2020/264545
https://www.postgresql.eu/events/fosdem2020/schedule/session/2864-managing-mobility-data-in-postgresql/
https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/mobilitydb/
https://docs.mobilitydb.com/pub/MobilityDB_FOSS4G_Brussels_2019.pdf

To prepare this request, we went through Jody's presentation, and the Wiki shared in Vicky's message. Our github repository has been evolved to meet the checklist (geospatial, opensource, participatory). In particular, MobilityDB solves a geospatial problem, is distributed under the PostgreSQL license, and it is open for contributions (with currently 6 contributors from different organizations). It also has a steering committee with a focus on achieving good integration with relevant projects in the OSGeo family:
https://github.com/MobilityDB/MobilityDB/wiki/MobilityDB-Project-Steering-Committe

Besides the main repository, and thanks to all contributors, other repositories are being actively maintained in our GitHub organisation:
- python connectivity driver (https://github.com/MobilityDB/MobilityDB-python)
- Data generator of simulated car trajectories (https://github.com/MobilityDB/MobilityDB-BerlinMOD)
- Multiple workshop tutorials (https://github.com/MobilityDB/MobilityDB-workshop)
- MobilityDB docker images (https://github.com/MobilityDB/MobilityDB-docker)

The main github repository ()
https://github.com/MobilityDB/MobilityDB

The github organization
https://github.com/MobilityDB

User manual for the last release (now beta1):
https://docs.mobilitydb.com/MobilityDB/master/
The manual in develop branch is continuously updated with the most recent development. Developers can then build

We are happy to receive your support, and to respond to your questions and comments.

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 5:40 PM Mahmoud SAKR <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks!

The discussion with vicky, and these emails, one one the key things we try and offer on the incubation committee. A chance to think about how you are doing open source.

For website access, looking at https://github.com/MobilityDB/MobilityDB

1. Be geospatial
README.md - nice clear description

2. Have a free license or open source license
LICENSE.txt  is cool, I was not really aware PostgreSQL had their open OSI approved license: https://opensource.org/licenses/PostgreSQL

3. Welcome participation and new contributors.
CONTRIBUTING.md is great, I like that the docs are creative commons.

Mahmoud I was able to add you as project author (please share page when ready fo review), but it looks like Esteban has not yet logged into the website (so I cannot grant the role yet).

--
Jody Garnett

On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 at 06:57, Mahmoud SAKR <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Esteban Zimanyi
Dear Jody

Many thanks for your work.

According to my understanding I have registered to OSGeo with my professional email address [hidden email].

Could you please verify ?

Regards

Esteban

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020, 01:54 Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Even if you have setup an an OSGeo User ID, unless you login to the website once ... I do not have a website profile to assign you author permission.

(So it shows no website profile found for [hidden email])
--
Jody Garnett

On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 at 23:11, Esteban Zimanyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Jody, incubator committee,
I have drafted the MobilityDB project page in OSGeo. All relevant content has been added in the template, and I feel that it is already in a good state for your review. Would you please have a look and let us know whether we could improve.

Yesterday was the very first PSC meeting with myself, Esteban, Anita, Darafei, Krishna, and Mohamed. During the meeting we looked together at the page, and made a quick review. In addition, Esteban has reviewed it more thoroughly.

It is a bitty that we missed your meeting yesterday.

Best regards,
Mahmoud SAKR